Repowerimg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a PT42 with twin Lehman's sp225. One of them has a large hole in the crank case now after a 3 hour tour. Should I replace with another sp225 or pull both and move to a 600hp single diesel mounted in the center. Let me have it. All the comments are welcome. Thank you. IMG_20210425_134425_523.jpg20210808_181723.jpg

It would be a monumental job converting it to a single engine. I would either go with another SP225 or maybe a Cummins 5.9 reman. It would be close to the same horsepower. That way you would be on your way to a more current, but not cutting edge, engine. Then sometime replace the other Lehman with another Cummins. There may be other ideas out there, good luck.

By far the easiest most cost effective approach is another SP225. It drops straight in where the other one is. No changing mounts, exhausts, instruments, gearboxes, etc etc. The "convert to single" idea doesn`t bear consideration based on cost, hull mods, etc, plus at the end you`ve got a single engined boat instead of twins.
I`d start shopping for an SP225. Might be worth talking to American Diesel Corp about sourcing one, or maybe, depending on hours and condition, two.

A factory reman Cummins 220hp b-series is about $33k. It's about the same rpm engine as your Leyman so you'd likely be able to use the same gear. Boatyard labor is maybe $100/hr. So labor, parts and like that, probably another $10k pretty easy.
You'd be well north of $100k to go to a big single.
Cheapest is go with the Leyman, it just depends how much you want to spend.

Unless you're gonna use the single to power the existing shafts and props via hydraulic pumps.....

I'd replace with what is already there. It would probably be cheaper to reman or repower the existing drive train with cummins than to do the hull mods and everything else to go along.

It would be a monumental job converting it to a single engine. I would either go with another SP225 or maybe a Cummins 5.9 reman. It would be close to the same horsepower. That way you would be on your way to a more current, but not cutting edge, engine. Then sometime replace the other Lehman with another Cummins. There may be other ideas out there, good luck.

This is the best way to go.

Back in 2012 I got quotes to re-power, and one option was to go to a larger single. The single was the most expensive option. I installed 2 x Tier II John Deere 6068's, turbo but no aftercooler and 201HP each. Another choice instead of the Cummins 5.9. Check out what is best dealer support option for where you are.

Run two different engines? And keep different sets of spares - gaskets, filters, hoses, belts, etc. And hope the gear aligns properly so the Cummins drops on to the same mounts as the FL225? What are the chances? Haven't even talked about resale if that's a consideration

Repower with the FL225. Everything else is a science project. Whomever you get it from might give a decent price for your old one. Injection pump is worth a few bucks alone.

BTW- any idea why your engine craved sunshine?

Sorry for your troubles.

Peter

The idea about repowering one engine now with a Cummins was to eventually do both but to keep the cost smaller right now. He may not be in a position to lay out the money for 2 different engines on the spur of the moment. Spares really isn’t that big of a deal since you can overnight most parts you may need. Just some belts and filters is really all you need. Actually in 6 years owning my SP225s the only parts I needed besides filters was for routine preventative maintenance and one leaking return fuel line and AD sent the hose overnight. But most people don’t have $100K sitting around to replace 2 engines. Actually I would rather buy a boat with one Cummins in it because then I would only have to replace one engine in the future. My Lehmans were great but they are really old technology and not getting any younger.

Last edited:
The value of the boat the engines power would be a consideration. 100K on an engine swap for a,say older 60-80K boat, makes little sense absent special regard for the boat and or a plan to keep it forever. Simple economic course is replace like with like, though if one punched a hole in the block the other might too, depending on hours, maintenance, etc. Even then, nothing like the cost of a two different engines, which may increase saleability but not value by anything like the expenditure .

Replace with like kind.
Converting twins to a single? If you ever want to use your boat again don’t do it!

That’s a painful hole to look at. Ouch.

I agree with others that dropping in another Lehman is the way to go.

I think a re-power conversion to another engine will probably cost more than the boat is worth, and your money would be better spent on a different boat. Then salvage and sell what you can, and scrap the rest.

Whatever you do, do not throw away the aftercooler. They are made out of unobtainium. Not available anymore.

Brian Smith at American Diesel might have a lead to a replacement block. Worth a call.

Older engines can and on rare occasions fail spectacularly.

A Willard 30 skipper was running north in Chatham Strait (Ak) when his old Perkins crankshaft broke in two.

When repower talk comes along I usually try to point out that a golden opportunity presents itself by opening the door for overpowered boats to install an engine better suited to the boat. But me-thinks this is not such an opportunity.
However if this IS an overpowered boat and by chance a pair of FL 4cyl units became available a good price could be negotiated and a good outcome could be had. Very unlikely tho.

High Wire,
Also Harbor Marine in Everett Wa. Also these sources may know of other sources that could uncover another suitable engine.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the wisdom that y'all laid on me. I am going to replace like with like. Keep the boat for a few more years then sell it and buy a little bigger "forever" boat. 55-60' with a walk in engine room.

Why the hole?

What caused the break? Did it throw a rod or freeze. It looks like a hole in the skirt of the block above the pan. I once bought a used Chevy straight 6 with such a hole. The PO had placed a leather patch over it (one leather inside and one outheld together with washers and a brass bolt). It held the oil in and the engine ran fine. So maybe if the hole doesn’t interfere with water jacket or compression you could have a patch brazed over the hole. Of course you would want to know the bearings, rods etc were ok. Just a thought.

Swap them

I had the same in my boat. I swapped both out at the same time to Cummins 6bta. My old gears matched right up to the Cummins. The Lehman’s are hard to find parts for and if you need aftercoolers well they don’t make them anymore. I got tired of chasing parts and bit the bullet. It is expensive but the boat will somewhat retain the value of what you put in it

I had the same in my boat. I swapped both out at the same time to Cummins 6bta. My old gears matched right up to the Cummins. The Lehman’s are hard to find parts for and if you need aftercoolers well they don’t make them anymore. I got tired of chasing parts and bit the bullet. It is expensive but the boat will somewhat retain the value of what you put in it

That was my point in an earlier post. I would probably go with the newer technology if I had to replace an engine. Even if I had to do one engine at a time to keep costs down.

He already has a parts locker - the undamaged parts of this one.

Great image of one of your engines most intimate details.
Just a question. When one engine went poopy how did you complete your three hour cruise? I would suspect by using your other engine.
There is a Trawler Forum Member who uses a sign off tag "You only need one engine, and that is why l have two". Very very wise words.

Replace the buggered engine like for like and enjoy another 20 years of carefree boating.

Regards
Murungal

ps twin engined trawler

Back
Top Bottom