Old 12-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #21
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Just got a reply back from ZF Marine, and they say my transmission (ZF 80-1 A) will work either way without issue. Just dropped a note to Yanmar just to see what they say, but I can't imagine it would make a difference with the engine.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #22
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Engine will not care. Second that about ZF 80 being fully capable with either LH or RH wheel.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Just got a reply back from ZF Marine, and they say my transmission (ZF 80-1 A) will work either way without issue. Just dropped a note to Yanmar just to see what they say, but I can't imagine it would make a difference with the engine.
Wow!! Then I would definitely do it. To me it would seem like your fixing something that was incorrect to begin with. Not just because it solves a specific problem in your case, but rather in principle your current setup simply seems backwards.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #24
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
My bad, reading comprehension fail. Of course its a single and as such I sympathise with your dilemma, my boat has a very light bow with virtually no keel up front and without some way on it has a mind of its own. Once leaving a fuel barge on 25 knot winds the bow swung so fast in the crosswind I nailed a steel piling with a very loud “bung!” Woke up the barge crew and they came running out to help but there wasn’t a mark on me. I had expected a huge dent. I think both of our difficulties can only be solved with bow thrusters. No issue with the stern.

In France while driving a 50’ canal boat, backing and filling was possible and necessary when the thruster failed (no currents or winds, much) but it was much easier to back down steering with the thruster.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
My bad, reading comprehension fail. Of course its a single and as such I sympathise with your dilemma, my boat has a very light bow with virtually no keel up front and without some way on it has a mind of its own. Once leaving a fuel barge on 25 knot winds the bow swung so fast in the crosswind I nailed a steel piling with a very loud “bung!” Woke up the barge crew and they came running out to help but there wasn’t a mark on me. I had expected a huge dent. I think both of our difficulties can only be solved with bow thrusters. No issue with the stern.

In France while driving a 50’ canal boat, backing and filling was possible and necessary when the thruster failed (no currents or winds, much) but it was much easier to back down steering with the thruster.
X,

Good points....

I LOVE my bow thruster, and it loves me. I take good care of it, gave it new blades recently and am gentle with it. But it works REALLY WELL. The best one I've had. In a light wind situation, I believe I could turn the boat around entirely with the bow thruster...but wouldn't be fast.

It comes in handy in "leading the bow" into a dock to get a line on, or an aid to "back and fill" when a extra effort is need (like the situation I'm in), and in backing up, it's the steering. Heck, the other day, I backed into a dock, with a slight wind against me and just used the thruster to steer the stern to get a line on, even though the boat was alreadys 30 to 40d off aligned to the dock, and once the line was on, easy to bring the bow back.

However, I could argue to occasionally operate without... just in case they quit. (and they will).
Old 12-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #26

City: Washington
I'm thinking I would be looking for a different slip before I made major modifications to my boat. Unless you never go anywhere but local and back to your marina, you need to be prepared for all different docking conditions. Port side, starboard side, bow in, stern in and alongside on either side.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #27
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
When I re-powered my boat the new engine was RH rotation and I had LH prop, so I ran my ZF-25A gearbox in reverse for a while without any issues. In my case however, with a full length keel I don't get hardly any prop walk so there was little difference there.

You can either change the cable linkage direction on the gearbox shifter, or on your Morse control depending on the type.

A word of caution. Swap your linkage at the same time as you swap your prop.

I had a short test run without the linkage swapped and just operated the shifter in reverse. All went well until I was coming back in through the marina lock and was drifting close to the lock gate. A quick shot of reverse was now a quick shot of forward, and I was inches away from the test run ending in tears.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #28
Guru

City: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
I'm thinking I would be looking for a different slip before I made major modifications to my boat. Unless you never go anywhere but local and back to your marina, you need to be prepared for all different docking conditions. Port side, starboard side, bow in, stern in and alongside on either side.
I wouldn't call his efforts "major modifications" by any stretch. He can always put the original prop back on and switch the cable connections if he desires.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
Changing slips is not an option. This is right behind my house and the convenience is priceless. Not to mention it's free. Still need some mods, like a better walk way and power, which I don't have, yet. But to be able to wander out there at anytime is really nice. I've very fortunate that both boats fit. (Have a 280 Sundancer also).

But there are challenges in getting out.... especially in low tide and high winds. Today we still had the high winds, but tide was also high, so I ventured out and was a non issue... so next time, I might bight a bit more off. The problem is that if I fail, I end up pinned against my neighbors dock.

Where we went, the wind was higher and when we left, pushing 20. Getting off wasn't too bad, but I had a hard time turning the boat into the wind without getting some speed up. Did a 360 to get that done, and if there was no room, it would have been ugly.

Still getting use to this boat, and appreciate all the help here.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #30
FF
Guru

"The problem is that if I fail, I end up pinned against my neighbors dock."

He may not mind if you put soft rub rail on his dock.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #31

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Changing slips is not an option. This is right behind my house and the convenience is priceless. Not to mention it's free. ..................
Well, that's a good reason. You should still try to acquire the skill and experience to dock under different situations because you will face them eventually.

aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote