Replacing Bennett trim tabs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CooperBrewer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hiatus
Vessel Make
Cooper Prowler
I have a couple tubes of 3M 4200, but Bennett instructs the use of 5200 on their installation video. The tabs were installed new in '92
But I'm not sure what was used. The ones that are there, are worn out now. Will 4200 work? Either is a trick to get in CA. What do you guys think?

I use 5200 below the waterline. But only there. Don’t know if 4200 is as good below the waterline.

Having replaced my trim tabs some years ago I would think that 4200 would work for you if you allow at least 24 hours for it to cure. It has half the strength of 5200 but like 5200 still forms a watertight, weather-resistant seal on joints and boat hardware above or below the waterline.

I called Bennett, and after talking to an agent there, I'm acquiring smaller tubes (all I can get now in CA) of 5200. I think 3 or four of the 3 Oz. tubes should work. Thank you.

If you haven't removed the old yet I'd be careful. Even 4200 has some strength to it and can make removal difficult. Adding heat to the metal component will help release.

Back
Top Bottom