Replacement Toilet Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmreim

Vessel Name
Boundless
Vessel Make
2013 North Pacific 43'
Looking to replace a pump toilet on a 2003 Mariner Europa 34 with something more up-to-date and user-friendly. With so many different options, I'm interested in recommendations - trying to keep it simple. Thx!

"Looking to replace a pump toilet"

With an electric unit or a hand pumped unit.

The simplest manual to live with (least work and hard to clog) is probably the Lavac.

If the hand pump is too much effort , replace it with an Edson aluminum unit....a forever setup.

BEWARE , too much pumping will fill most holding tanks rapidly!

Popular Model Toilet - Lavac Toilets | Fisheries Supply

https://www.fisheriessupply.com › lavac-toilet-popular-model-manual-toilet
Save More on Your Lavac Toilets Popular Model Toilet at Fisheries Supply. Excellent Customer Service, Ready to Ship. Marine Supplies Since 1928!

Edson Manual Pumps: 18 GPM Pumps

https://edsonmarine.com › products › 18-gpm-manual-pumps
Edson's Compact Manual Pumps can be easily operated at a comfortable 30 strokes per minute ... 217AL Compact Manual Lever-Action Pump - Aluminum.

Last edited:
If you want an electric, take a look at the Raritan Sea Era. I just replaced one of my old PHEII units with one and so far, it's great. No problem chewing up anything a human can output and it's simple to use. Mounting footprint isn't massive either. Only potential downside is that it's pretty noisy.

"No problem chewing up anything a human can output" - you haven't met my family. thx.

The Raritan SeaEra Raritan SeaEra Promo Sheet is one of the two top rated macerating electric toilets. The Raritan Marine Elegance Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf is the other one. If you don't think the pump in the SeaEra is powerful enough, the Elegance can even chew up a tampon (though they don't recommend it). NO toilet can chew up a wet wipe!! Either can be ordered with one of the optional "multi-function" flush panels that makes it possible to conserve holding tank space by adding water to the bowl ahead of solids (if your toilet isn't designed to do that, use a cup from the sink), which leaves the bowl a lot cleaner with less flushing...and also offers "dry" flush.

"No problem chewing up anything a human can output" - you haven't met my family. thx.

What comes out is determined by what goes in, so perhaps your family might consider reviewing their diet.

--Peggie

Last edited:
I've got the simple push-button control on my Sea Era (re-used the already adequate button and wiring from the old toilet). For solids, I've found the trick is to run it for a second or so, just enough to rinse the contents to the bottom of the bowl. Let it settle for a few seconds, then hit it again. Clears the bowl with noticeably less water than just holding the button and waiting.

Looking to replace a pump toilet on a 2003 Mariner Europa 34 with something more up-to-date and user-friendly. With so many different options, I'm interested in recommendations - trying to keep it simple. Thx!

What is the original "pump toilet?" Might be easiest to replace with something that uses the same base, mounts, or mount system, if there is such an animal...

-Chris

I'm planning on removing my Raritan Crowns this winter, replacing them with Sea Era's. The upgrade is cost-effective using the Crown bowels, and changing to fresh water is attractive, odor-wise. Peggie has been very helpful scoping out this job.

We have a similar boat and pulled the raritan electric head out and replaced with an AirHead Composting toilet. So glad we did.

What is the original "pump toilet?" Might be easiest to replace with something that uses the same base, mounts, or mount system, if there is such an animal...-Chris

There's only one electric macerating toilet pump that'll fit on a manual ("pump") toilet base--the Jabsco 29200 "conversion." Jabsco 29200 Electric Toilet Conversion Kit Trust me, you DON'T want one...even Jabsco admits it's a miserable excuse for a toilet. What's worse, it costs about $400. Hopkins Carter has a SeaEra conversion (everything south of the bowl) for $425.

--Peggie

Third the marine elegance.
Somebody accidentally dropped a dime down it a few weeks ago. It rattled around in there for a while before we realized what it was and fished it out, no damage. What a champ.
I replaced the joker valves when we bought the boat - easy job - and it's been going ever since, taking care of 2 liveaboards for the last 2.5 years. That's gotta be at least 20 years of poops for the casual non-liveaboard, and still going...

We are a year in to our Raritan Atlantes Freedom with the smart panel. Fantastic.

(anytime you put "boat toilet" and the words "vortex vac" in the same sentence, only good things can happen....)

Last edited:
We went with a the Raritan Marine Elegance when we replaced. Works great, and we have the 4 way switch for waste volume control. Went into the same footprint, but gave us the elongated bowl for more comfort.

There's only one electric macerating toilet pump that'll fit on a manual ("pump") toilet base--the Jabsco 29200 "conversion." Jabsco 29200 Electric Toilet Conversion Kit Trust me, you DON'T want one...even Jabsco admits it's a miserable excuse for a toilet. What's worse, it costs about $400. Hopkins Carter has a SeaEra conversion (everything south of the bowl) for $425.

Useful for OP to know.

FWIW, when I said "base, mounts, or mount system" I didn't mean any toilet parts. Our toilet is mounted on a boat manufacturer's riser (base? mount? mount system?) above the sole in the head... and installing anything that doesn't use the same existing mounting holes (in that riser) could be a pain in the a$$.

Or not, given I don't know what kind of bolt pattern other toilet mounting systems use...

-Chris

Peggy said it all" the Elegance can even chew up a tampon (though they don't recommend it). NO toilet can chew up a wet wipe!! Either can be ordered with one of the optional "multi-function" flush panels that makes it possible to conserve holding tank space by adding water to the bowl ahead of solids (if your toilet isn't designed to do that, use a cup from the sink), which leaves the bowl a lot cleaner with less flushing...and also offers "dry" flush." We installed a Raritan Elegance based on Peggy's recommendation be certain to have a look, ours has been a joy!

I'll throw two uninformed cents up on the wall. Full disclosure we spent 14 years with a 30 ft powerboat with a portapotty (and three kids), and now NWD has bestowed upon us two (2!) freshwater electric flush heads. They are Dometic (aka Seaward) 8000 series and I am tickled pink with how they work. They appear to date from 2009 and 2014 respectively, and I have no idea what maintenance has gone into them before I acquired the boat last year. We have a cumulative 27 or 28 nights aboard plus day uses.

Our only head issues have involved repairing the original holding tank and adding another (separating the holding for the forward and aft heads, adding larger vents and cross venting the tanks) but the heads appear to be working fine.

Our toilet is mounted on a boat manufacturer's riser (base? mount? mount system?) above the sole in the head... and installing anything that doesn't use the same existing mounting holes (in that riser) could be a pain in the a$$.

Toilets on risers are pretty common...and it's actually pretty easy to drill new mounting bolt holes. The new toilet covers at least half the original holes, a little wood or fiberglass filler fills the one or two that are exposed...and believe it or not the right shade of white nail polish renders 'em invisible in a white sole. One of those pens that covers scratches in hardwood floors and/or furniture works on wood.

--Peggie

Marine Elegance here also-replaced the original Vacuflush. Much happier!

Folks that don't want to use flush water to remove "skid marks" might consider spraying the dry bowl with PAM.

Toilets on risers are pretty common...and it's actually pretty easy to drill new mounting bolt holes. The new toilet covers at least half the original holes, a little wood or fiberglass filler fills the one or two that are exposed...and believe it or not the right shade of white nail polish renders 'em invisible in a white sole. One of those pens that covers scratches in hardwood floors and/or furniture works on wood.

Useful to know. I've not had to remove/replace the actual toilet, so I dunno what the underside of the riser looks like, nor how the toilet is affixed to it...

When we replaced our holding tank and hoses, I could determine the underside of the riser isn't at all visible/accessible -- so there's some space in between (probably) fiberglass riser and sole (wood subfloor, probably, or maybe the Amtico carries through under there). We didn't need to get into it, but I've got no idea how to get there if (when) it becomes necessary.

-Chris

My toilets sit on a 2" thick wood riser on top of a 3/4" thick larger panel on top of the actual floor. I'm not quite sure how the riser is held down (seems to be glued), but the piece below it is screwed down. Original toilet mounts were studs coming up from under the lower piece. So I removed these and just ran 2.5" lag bolts in to hold down the new toilet, it's worked great so far.

Folks that don't want to use flush water to remove "skid marks" might consider spraying the dry bowl with PAM.

Very bad idea because PAM and other "cooking sprays" leave a residue that takes a lot of scouring to remove...just ask anyone who makes the mistake using them in non-stick cookware.

--Peggie

I just wipe the skid marks off with the last piece of TP before flushing if they're significant. I'm 3 seconds from washing my hands anyway at that point, so it's not a big deal to do.

SeaEra is it. We bought our 1990 GB 32 in 2016 and the first thing we did was replace the old Groco with a SeaEra electric with fresh water flush. Fresh water flush doesn't use much water and ELIMINATES odor from the hoses. I have replaced the joker valve once (normal maintenance item) and even that is a piece of cake. Couldn't be happier.

Very bad idea because PAM and other "cooking sprays" leave a residue that takes a lot of scouring to remove...just ask anyone who makes the mistake using them in non-stick cookware.

--Peggie

We just lay a couple of pieces of toilet paper in the target area before we go and then the poop just slides down with out leaving skid marks.

You're leaving the bowl clean without adding any water, but without enough water going through the toilet discharge line to rinse it out, you're leaving bits of solids and TP stuck to the walls to build up and create a clog. Getting a couple of cupfuls from the sink is a lot easier than clearing one.

--Peggie

We love our Marine Elegance with the 4 button control panel. Much less water usage than our previous boat's electric macerating toilet.

Raritan marine elegance electric head best selection . Get advice from Peggy Hall, the head mistress. See her book on Amazon. You can email her thru forum for expert advice

Back
Top Bottom