Repair cost opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both are beautiful. I would go with the smaller one myself. Easier boat for a couple to operate and less boat to maintain. Expenses go up geometricallth. We have cruised 2-3 months in the Pudget Sound to Alaska for 25 years on a 42 GB and do not want a bigger boat. Two of us can handle this size in all situations.

I recently saw an estimate on Cat 3208, 435hp rebuilding. It was around $30,000 per engine plus $10k to remove and install. The boat was a Fleming and the salon floor is sectioned to make it easier.

I also saw a single fuel tank removal and fabrication of an aluminum tank that cost around $30k. One engine had to come out with that project.

So I’ll agree that the OP estimate was light.

The thing I like most about the Perseverance is also what makes it far less valuable. It was designed and built by the owner. I would love to carry on his legacy in that boat, but if I need or want to sell it, the fact that a naval architect did not design it, and that a known builder did not build it could be an issue. Never mind dealing with an insurance company or a lender. I have not done that yet as we cannot agree on a price. It also needs a ton of updating and has not been wet in three years or so. Great bones though.

If the Bruce Roberts surveys well it in pictures looks like a perfect boat for me. I have not been on it. We are $10,000 apart. Yeah I know not much, but I have to draw a limit somewhere. We are both inflexible at this point. I might buy some more lottery tickets or stand around staring at the sky to see if some money falls out of it. It was designed by a well known architect and built by a professional boat builder. Not a guarantee, but better than to having it.

Both nice boats. I like the systems installation and access on the Perseverance better than the Bruce Roberts boats. Interior finish better on the Bruce Roberts.Both look well maintained.

Yeah I know. My guess is they did not anchor much, or at least overnight. I doubt I would sleep a wink knowing that thing was holding me. I could modify a capstan to work on that winch. I would likely want to add another generator that runs a hydraulic pump and have some kind of get home device for attaching to the shaft.

As for the Bruce Roberts, the only other one that seems like it that just blows my mind is this one. It might be the nicest 49 foot boat I have ever seen. I love this boat!!
https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for-sale/437260/cape-horn-fort-lauderdale-florida

Back
Top Bottom