Old 12-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #21

City: Detroit
I will be following Commodave's project as closely as I am able to. He is doing one side this year and the other next. I am not sure whether he plans to replace with multiple tanks or a smaller single, or go OEM. I would be nice to see a tank manufacturer come up with stacking tanks that interlock and plumb together with a simple and robust system. You could secure the bottom and top tank and be done with it. I suppose a sight tube would be nice as well, or possibly some way of plumbing the tanks through some central hole that would accommodate a tank sender. Sorry, I am getting off track here. Bill
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #22

City: Bend, Oregon
Vessel Name: Morningsong
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 42
repair cost options

You are way low!!!! We just spent just north of $200,000 repowering our 1974 Grand Banks with John Deere 4045s. This included removal of the old engines also JD 6 cylinder. We replace the controls, instruments, water intake, exhaust system, fuel filter system, engine beds, mounts, transmissions, shafts and propellers. We also cut large inspection ports in both fuel tanks for cleaning.It is a big job. Of course we also did considerable clean up and painting while we had the engines out. The engines had to be partially disassembled and taken out through the removed window on the side of the main cabin.
We have had this boat for 26 years and use it 2-3 months a year in the Pudget Sound to Alaska. We have replaced every system on her over the years. We have Alwgriped the hull. The list goes on and on. We are 76 years old and consider QTR. WE do live on her the 2-3 months every year. The other 9 months it is dry storage out of the water. My advise buy boat that the previous owner did all this. We did not do this thinking we will get the money back when we sell. We want things to run well.
Bill Blatchford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparharn View Post
I will be following Commodave's project as closely as I am able to. He is doing one side this year and the other next. I am not sure whether he plans to replace with multiple tanks or a smaller single, or go OEM. I would be nice to see a tank manufacturer come up with stacking tanks that interlock and plumb together with a simple and robust system. You could secure the bottom and top tank and be done with it. I suppose a sight tube would be nice as well, or possibly some way of plumbing the tanks through some central hole that would accommodate a tank sender. Sorry, I am getting off track here. Bill
Unfortunately, my back is not cooperating with the fuel tank replacement. I have had 8 procedures this year and still have really bad pain and issues with my back. I pulled the port engine but reluctantly decided not to go for the fuel tank since I am not sure I would be able to finish the replacement. So I am just going to refurb the engine room on the port side and learn to be happy with that.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #24

There are fuel polishing companies that will put large inspection ports in your fuel tanks. With these in place they will determine if you even need new fuel tanks. Easier to do with the engine out. We had this done and both tanks on our 74 GB passed the inspection. They found no internal rust and just some light surface rust on the exterior which they cleaned and painted.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #25
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
If you own a boat with these issues, keep on with it. Lots of useful knowledge on here. If you are looking to buy one with all that mess, run away! The expression I like is “I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.”
Old 12-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #26
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
If you own a boat with these issues, keep on with it. Lots of useful knowledge on here. If you are looking to buy one with all that mess, run away! The expression I like is “I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.”
Well said.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #27

sXbank, Great advice. There are lots of boats out there for sale with out these problems. Keep looking.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:13 PM   #28
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
A buddy just got a quote to replace all the hoses on 2 Cummins 6 cycl. Diesels (every single hose on, to and from both engines) . This included new water pumps, expansion tanks, and the rear seal on the port.

It came to a little over 22K. (7K in parts and over 14K in labor (120 hours @ $120/hr).
Wow
Did all mine on the 855 and probably spend $250 on blue silicone hose and tbolt clamps and a leisurely day or two with a beer or 3 for company
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #29

Dave,
I'm sorry to hear of this. I have had two spinal surgeries on three levels and have a sense of your situation. Two hip replacements and one knee replacement. Next up, Mr. Shoulder. I guess I am trying to get a handle on these costs because my body can no longer perform these kind of projects and I have no choice but to pay someone to perform them. If you get in a jam some day I would be willing to drive up and help out if it would make a real difference. This of course assumes that I will not have to lift from a bad position, or spend too much time laying on hard surfaces. I am wondering if you have considered tank restoration versus replacement? Or is this not a possibility for your boat?

Bill,
Thank you for your detailed accounting and advice. My predicament has me in a situation where the boats I like in the price range I can afford often need some kind of repair. Mid eighties trawlers in the 38 to 52 foot range seem to all need something major. I will keep looking in the hopes that I find one that does not. I am also seriously considering steel. Not in that they do not have problems, but because people seem to value them less and I might get a boat in better condition in my budget if I go steel. I am in fresh water and the steel boats around here seem to be in a little better condition. Your cost for repair was above my budget for purchase and repair at this time. I realize there is no free lunch, or that you can't get blood from a turnip, but I will keep trying to find something. Maybe something that needs a lot, but a little at a time (ie, soft goods, electronics, paint, canvas, flooring, etc) Bill
Old 12-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #30

Consider a single engine boat. Diesel engine are very reliable. Half the machinery to maintain and more room in the engine room.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:25 AM   #31

I would value any opinions I might get on these two. They both seem very nice to me. Each with its own set of compromises.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...ce-50-3204331/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...berts-3575356/
Old 12-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #32

Both are beautiful. I would go with the smaller one myself. Easier boat for a couple to operate and less boat to maintain. Expenses go up geometricallth. We have cruised 2-3 months in the Pudget Sound to Alaska for 25 years on a 42 GB and do not want a bigger boat. Two of us can handle this size in all situations.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis
I recently saw an estimate on Cat 3208, 435hp rebuilding. It was around $30,000 per engine plus $10k to remove and install. The boat was a Fleming and the salon floor is sectioned to make it easier.

I also saw a single fuel tank removal and fabrication of an aluminum tank that cost around $30k. One engine had to come out with that project.

So I’ll agree that the OP estimate was light.
Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #34
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
I would value any opinions I might get on these two. They both seem very nice to me. Each with its own set of compromises.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...berts-3575356/
Both nice boats. I like the systems installation and access on the Perseverance better than the Bruce Roberts boats. Interior finish better on the Bruce Roberts.Both look well maintained.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #35

The thing I like most about the Perseverance is also what makes it far less valuable. It was designed and built by the owner. I would love to carry on his legacy in that boat, but if I need or want to sell it, the fact that a naval architect did not design it, and that a known builder did not build it could be an issue. Never mind dealing with an insurance company or a lender. I have not done that yet as we cannot agree on a price. It also needs a ton of updating and has not been wet in three years or so. Great bones though.

If the Bruce Roberts surveys well it in pictures looks like a perfect boat for me. I have not been on it. We are $10,000 apart. Yeah I know not much, but I have to draw a limit somewhere. We are both inflexible at this point. I might buy some more lottery tickets or stand around staring at the sky to see if some money falls out of it. It was designed by a well known architect and built by a professional boat builder. Not a guarantee, but better than to having it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Both nice boats. I like the systems installation and access on the Perseverance better than the Bruce Roberts boats. Interior finish better on the Bruce Roberts.Both look well maintained.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #36
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:

The anchoring gear or lack of on this must be some kind of a joke.
Toy aluminium anchor, no chain, rope only capstan?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:12 PM   #37

Yeah I know. My guess is they did not anchor much, or at least overnight. I doubt I would sleep a wink knowing that thing was holding me. I could modify a capstan to work on that winch. I would likely want to add another generator that runs a hydraulic pump and have some kind of get home device for attaching to the shaft.

As for the Bruce Roberts, the only other one that seems like it that just blows my mind is this one. It might be the nicest 49 foot boat I have ever seen. I love this boat!!
https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for...erdale-florida