Removing soap scum from teak grate in shower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LenBuchanan

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Feath (fee-a) Gaelic for Calm, Tranquil
Vessel Make
1989 Jefferson 37 Sundeck
I have a teak grate in my shower in the aft shower, which got used quite a bit last summer, due to the club house being closed for a time, now has some soap scum in the squares between the teak pieces. I tried a 'used' toothbrush to remove it, but it didn't seem like it was stiff enough.
What is the best way to clean the grate of the soap scum or should I just not use the grate? Our forward shower, which really doesn't get used hardly at all, does not have a grate.

Wet the grate, spray it liberally with detergent (sprayer will do the best job of getting it onto every surface)...Dawn dishwashing liquid will do. Wait a few minutes, then scrub with a soft brush--a 3M "scrubbie" will do--and MAYBE a little Comet or other powder cleanser. Don't use a wire brush or anything anywhere nearly that stiff...teak is a soft wood, that'll "raise the grain."

To prevent the buildup in the future, rinse the grate a bit better after your shower.

--Peggie

I did ours GENTLY with a pressure washer. They came out nice.

Foaming tub and tile cleanser should also eat that stuff right off.

Hard to beat “Magic Erasers” for soap scum but a royal PITA within the teak lattice

We use a non soap body wash. We get no soap scum at all.

Cheers
Parry

We use a non soap body wash. We get no soap scum at all.

Cheers
Parry

Also limits build up below the teak grate where shower water pools and doesn’t drain if the boat has a slight list, and in the shower sump.
Traditional soap scum/congealed goo is messy anywhere it accumulates.

Back
Top Bottom