Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #1

Vinette Boat Works?

Does anyone know anything about Vinette Boatworks out of Michigan? Also - can you please shed some light of steel hulls - what to look out for and maintenance?

Thanks!
prosimedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #2

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler
RE: Vinette Boat Works?

Vinette Boatworks is a private company categorized under Boat Builders and Yards and located in Escanaba, MI. Our records show it was established in 1947* and incorporated in Michigan*. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $1 to 2.5 million and employs a staff of approximately 5 to 9. this is from my D & B..

nice looking boats specially the photo that was just posted. if it aint steel it aint real... i wish i owned a steel boat...
albin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the post. How has your sister's boat held up through the years. Any comments on the quality of the build?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #4

Very cool - the one I am looking at is a 33' motor sailer - it has an aluminum wheel house and recently been through a major refit. So it sounds like hull maintenance has been minimal in your sisters case...?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979...dysmith/Canada
Old 03-10-2010, 02:26 AM   #5

My Northshore 44 was built by Vinnette in 1972. My boat partner called them a few years ago and talked to somebody that still worked there who was there when the boat was built. He remembered it in particular because when it was built it had an organ in the main salon. I thought that was interesting mainly because he would have to have worked at that yard for over 30 years. There is a very nice looking sedan style Vinnette boat at Wallace yachts for sale. They build a solid hull and if taken care of will last a long time.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 AM   #6

I think I should add something here in regards to steel boats in general. The nice thing about a steel boat is if you do need to replace a section of bad metal it can be cut out and a new piece put in without having to use a lot of glass and saw dust. Most of the time it can be done in a surprisingly short period of time. Metal is not as hard to work with as most people think and it's very forgiving if you hit or drop something on it.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #7

Thanks Larry - can you describe to me what the maintenance schedule is like for your hull - inside and out. What do you do? how often???

Thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #8

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000.../United-States

The 35 above was just built by Vinette 11 years ago. They do boats of steel like the Turks do wood Gulets - very well and with very little maintenance needed. As was stated earlier metal is very forgiving, which is why my next boat will be steel or aluminum.
Reefhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:28 AM   #9
FF
Guru

can you describe to me what the maintenance schedule is like for your hull - inside and out. What do you do? how often???

With most steel boats the hull rusts from the inside out.

This is because much of the hull is hidden on the inside, and is hard to maintain.

Every 15 to 20 years a steel boat must be emptied and every surface sand blasted to "water white" and given 6 or 7 coats of paint.

Any hull damage is replaced at this time.

Then the interior and , tanks , wiring and all the rest are re installed , usually upgraded.

The use of very thick and expensive Epoxy coatings from the shipping industry has made the extension to 20 years possible.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #10

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.* My trawler is 36 years old and as far as I know it has never been stripped to a bare hull and blasted and painted inside.* Yeah it's a 36 year old boat with a little rust.* The last time I hauled her I replaced a section of the bottom, about 2 1/2' by 5', because I found a very thin spot under the 50 gallon stainless steel holding tank.* It was place under the galley floor where you couldn't get to it and somewhere along the way a couple pieces of scrap steel, maybe when the boat was built, had collected there causeing rust.* It's one of those deals where you fix what you can and keep going.* Next time it is hauled I plan on replacing some of the box keel.* Pretty straight forward, cut out thin use it as a pattern and weld new in.* No doing it in layers with nasty resins and glass.* It's not rocket science nor hard to do.* For most of us relatively poor work everyday old farts its the only way we can have a fairly large seaworthy boat.*

Some places that I have poked my head into just to look at what the 36 year old paint is doing seems to be holding up fine.*

I hope I answered your question.*

Oh yeah that 35' North Channel at Wallce Yatchs is nice.* I can imagine my Northshore 44 looked like that when it was 11.
LarryW
Old 04-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #11

I bought a Vinetti about 4 yrs ago. It's was built in 1972.
Very sweet boat that I have enjoyed traveling the inside passage every summer.
The boat was transported overland to Puget Sound by the previous owner.
Has anyone seen another Vinetti like mine?
Attached Thumbnails
pelican.jpg  
dalelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #12

Hi Dalelee
Looks like a nice boat. What is the LOA and what engine do you have. Yours and mine are about the same age and looks like a nice big pilot house.
Larry