Old 06-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
RE: Removing flybridge?

Oh, sorry, I read that as a working boat named Spray.

I recognized the troller from some ads a few years ago and wondered if the new owners changed the name.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Marin,I agree Spray w her black hull does look a bit commercial but Gold dust and your boat are both boats and that's about it. You see how the vertical bridge windows, black hull and lack of that silly FB gives her a very different look. Actually it (Spray) looks more like a Nordic Tug than a GB. Marin, that's a big hydraulic anchor winch ahead of the "helm station" on Gold Dust * * ..not a cuddy cabin. Very few fish boats have a cuddy cabin fwd of the helm. It also looks like Spray could have been designed by William Atkin. Your boat's beautiful and a near perfect trawler yacht * *.. what else could you want.
The Yacht Tenacious in Ketchikan looks like it decended from FB stock but not the GB.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
all to 12-15-09 103.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Removing flybridge?

Eric---

I wasn't talking so much about the superstructures of* boats like "Gold Dust" and our boat, but of the similarity of their hull aesthetics above the waterline (below the waterline the two hulls are very different).* Same basic sheer, the caprail "break" ("Gold Dust's" is more subtle and farther forward but it's there), the almost-plumb stem, and so on.* The transoms are very different, of course.* Ours is almost flat with sharp corners where "Gold Dust's" is much more rounded (I've seen a photo of" Gold Dust" out of the water taken from behind the boat).

Cuddy cabins are common on all sorts of fishboats, particularly the classics from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. In fact, in my observation they are the norm on this style of boat, not the exception.* Note the first photo of "Donna," a typical northwest salmon troller from the 1940s.* In the wider shot, it looks like there's a big windlass on the foredeck and no cuddy cabin.* But look at the second shot of "Donna."* This is what almost every troller and gillnetter of this basic style I've ever seen looks like in terms of the cabin configuration.* Even on the east coast, all the lobsterboats have cuddy cabins.

One of the most famous builders of trollers, gillnetters, and seiners on the BC coast was the Wahl family in Prince Rupert.* I bought a book about their boats last year and at least half the boats pictured incorporate cuddy cabins ahead of the wheelhouse.

Of course, the clincher is the statement by American Marine itself which says that the GB36's design was "inspired by the sturdy working fishing boats of the day," or something like that.* I don't know who drew the lines for the production GB36.* The protoype, proof-of-concept boat "Spray" was designed for American Marine in 1962 by Kenneth Smith, and for all I know he may have designed the cabin configuration for the production version, named the Grand Banks 36, too.

"Spray's" Ken Smith hull was unchanged on the production GB36 except for the caprail/bulwark "break" which he added after he designed "Spray."* Other than that, "Spray's" hull and our hull are identical in dimensions and configuration except "Spray" is a single engine boat where ours is a twin.* The production GB36 was of course, available either way.* The original hull and superstructure molds for the fiberglass GB36, introduced in 1973, copied the dimensions and configuration of the original wood version exactly, even to the cove lines between the hull "planks."* These molds were used until 1988* when new molds were introduced and the boat got a bit longer, wider, and quie obviously taller.

I'll grant you the production GB36's superstructure design has a lot less in common with the basic working boat design than "Spray's" did, but they weren't trying to copy a working boat anyway, only using it for "inspiration."* The GB was designed from the outset to be a recreational boat.* Or in the words of American Marine, a "dependable diesel cruiser."

Interestingly enough, American Marine (and later Grand Banks, LLC) never once used the word "trawler" to describe their boats. For many years the term used to describe the GB line of boats in advertisements was "Dependable Diesel Cruisers."* And they coined the names of the individual configurations---- "Classic" for the tri-cabin like ours, "Sedan" for the no-aft-cabin model, "Europa" for the sedan with boat deck overhangs, and "Motoryacht" for the full-width aft cabin version.* But never "trawler."* Somebody else came up with that term for this type of boat.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 25th of June 2010 01:55:16 AM
Attached Thumbnails
donna-002.jpg   donna-021.jpg   p1010591.jpg   p1030198.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:31 AM   #24
FF
Guru

You will probably need a something up top to hang electric toy antennas , and I would assume a king post to hoist the dink up there for a passage.

Be sure when you create the system it can easily be lowered , can save hours waiting for bridge attendants to stop watching TV and pull the lever.

Also be sure the system is so easy to operate the bride can decide to launch with no help .

When you get done a second slip in flag post with a really Huge flag always is fun.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:47 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Daddyo, Gonzo's pic does look better than I thought it would. Personally, I agree with those who like to keep the f/b for nice weather, dolphin and whale spotting and the like so keep it open - never understood the totally enclosed ones. The Alaska series has a 38 and 42 sedan with no flybridge which looks very similar to the pic Gonzo came up with, but they are enhanced by a nice stumpy radar/light/radio mast. On the other hand...is it really worth all that expense and trouble, I like your boat just the way it is.
http://alaskamotoryachts.com.au/
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Removing flybridge?

Too funny * *..looks like "Donna" dosn't trust the helmsmanship of the guy next to him!I forgot about the really old trollers * *..they almost all had cabins fwd of the bridge but I wouldn't call them "cuddy" cabins. Trunk cabins, fwd cabins or just cabins. Your'e right, lots of fish boats have fwd cabins depending on the type. Your 3rd pic shows a fish boat that for many decades was the most common fish boat on the w coast and they almost all had fwd cabins. My pic shows a nice example of a very common gillnet boat (Rawson I think) in Petersburg. Dosn't Chris Foster have a Rawson hull boat?
Commercial heritage ?? Well I'll admit your GB looks a lot more like a commercial vessel than a Chris Craft. And of course AM can say anything they like about their boat's heritage.
Thats very interesting about the word "trawler". There is, of course, no such thing in the pleasure boat world but your comment makes me wonder when people started using the word. I think it was the early 70s. I remember an cruising article in a major boating magazine that continually called their boat a trawler and it was a most untrawler-like Bayliner. Who wants to be associaled w "fathers oldsmobile". Trawler was a new word when it emerged and of course everyone wants to be associated w new things in our culture so the word stuck hard. Look at inflatables. The've become WILDLY popular. Ten times as widespread as they deserve to be based on function. Anyway hats off for AM/GB for not jumping on the vogue wagon.

Eric

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 25th of June 2010 10:26:43 AM
Attached Thumbnails
all to 12-15-09 481.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -
Removing flybridge?

Eric---

Cuddy cabin may be the wrong name. A lot of people call the forward cabin in a boat like a GB, working troller, etc., a "cuddy cabin." But maybe that term actually applies to something else. Like "flybridge." The proper term is actually "flying bridge" but it's morphed into "flybridge" over the decades.

In the photos I've seen of "Gold Dust," it does have a forward cabin with a V-berth that is entered via a companionway on the right side of the wheelhouse forward bulkhead. But I don't know if the overhead of the forward cabin is raised higher than the foredeck or not.

The boat in the third photo, which I've heard referred to as a Columbia River boat, was moored in Fishermen's Bay on Lopez Island when we were there several years ago.* I have no idea of its operating condition, but it's a classic little fishboat.* I believe similar boats were used in the California herring fishery.

I think the things that interest us the rest of our lives are influenced by what we experience--- even it we don't pay much attention at the time--- as little kids.* For example, I came across a photo my mother took of me when I was maybe two years old on the beach in Sausalito.* Behind me on the beach is a Seabee (single engine amphibious flying boat for anyone who doesn't know what that is).* Did it influence my heavy involvement with seaplanes that came some thirty years later?

As entertainment, my mom would take me for walks in the harbor in Sausalito, and also over to Tiburon to watch the trains in the railyard there (long since plowed under for suburbs).* There was a boat similar to the one in the third photo in the Sausalito harbor.* Painted yellow and green, I have always remembered the name--- "Lucky Lady."* So did my walks as a two-year old*on the docks and watching trains in Tiburon influence my interest in boats and trains years later?* Who knows.....

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 25th of June 2010 11:58:41 AM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote