Removing bait pump problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terry Wilkinson

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
DON GATO
Vessel Make
Bertram 38
How do I remove bait pump when can’t unscrew it hits bulk head, need to cut?

What about installing new pump?

Attachments

• 401FAD69-20F4-4BD1-8146-60EC723BA27F.jpg
    401FAD69-20F4-4BD1-8146-60EC723BA27F.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 13
  • A859DC2C-BE77-4E7F-B5DD-60EE9777DED5.jpg
    A859DC2C-BE77-4E7F-B5DD-60EE9777DED5.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 15
Maybe they held the pump in position and had it already screwed onto the valve and then screwed the thru hull onto the valve from below the hull??? Can certainly cut it off. Then I would remove the whole thru hull and everything and then glass the hole closed. Put it somewhere else that is serviceable.

Greetings,
Mr. TW. I concur with Mr. C. Screwing the mushroom on from the outside was the last step in assembly of the pumping system. Also agree with relocating OR putting an elbow in after the valve and offsetting the new pump BUT that has it's own problems.

This is the kind of cut my Milwaukee multi-tool with plunge cut blade was made for.

"What about installing new pump?"

A proper seacock bolted thru the hull would be required.

Who ever installed the pump needs a year in a re education camp.

THAT, my friend, is a recipe for disaster. That tall canister and pump can supply a tremendous amount of torque onto a very small gate valve (also wrong). The canister also prevents the gate valve handle from fully opening. Plus the whole mess is made of plastic.

Get rid of the whole mess and have someone with some marine "smarts" design you a system.

pete

Not sure I see the same as everyone else, but if time to change..... then....change it to a better setup where install meets better practice and maintenance will be easier.

Some of the suggestions so far will get you headed in the right direction.

Without a lot more info on pump use, actual setup as I can't tell from photos, and surroundings for options...hard to make further specific recommendations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom