Remote WiFi Security Cam for Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kurt.reynolds

Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
1982 Grand Banks Motoryacht
I want to put a camera on my boat so I can keep an eye on it when I am not on the boat.

Seems all my internet searches do not address the fact that I want this camera to work on a network that is not my "home" network.

Anyone done anything similar? My marina has WiFi and I have an iPhone, seems like it should be doable. $200 or so is my budget.

Thoughts?
Kurt

I would guess that your marina network would be your home network assuming that marina wants to let you do that.

I would guess that your marina network would be your home network assuming that marina wants to let you do that.

I was reading about some cameras online and they talk about connecting via Ethernet cable to setup, I won't be able to do that and a bit concerned about buying a camera that I won't be able to set up over WiFi.

Thanks
Kurt

Our marina wifi automatically kicks off any user after a period of time. Happens sometimes when watching a movie. The manager said that was to prevent bandwidth problems. Unless a Camara can re acquire by itself, it would. It work here

I have them on my boat, but you need access to the router initially to set it up. Once done, it only requires WiFi and will reacquire the signal if dropped. I use Tenvis cameras off of Amazon. I'm sure others will work the same, but it's great to get an email if there is motion on the boat and just having the ability to look at the boat while I'm setting at work let's me get a little boat "fix".

Check this out: https://shop.ring.com/products/floodlight-cam?variant=56549563083

I have it along with the Ring doorbell at my home. With the app on your phone, you can access it from anywhere.

The Ring devices are only on the front of the house...the whole house and back yard are covered by complete ADT Pulse security system with motion detectors.

Last edited:
I really like the Blink cameras. They are not only wireless but run on batteries. Put them anywhere you get a reasonably strong wifi signal. Best of all there is no monthly charge to store more clips than you'll probably need to keep. I have one monitoring the salon. I can access it for video, audio and temperature. They also make an outdoor version. Note:Their app runs on mobile devices.

Check this out: https://shop.ring.com/products/floodlight-cam?variant=56549563083

I have it along with the Ring doorbell at my home. With the app on your phone, you can access it from anywhere.

The Ring devices are only on the front of the house...the whole house and back yard are covered by complete ADT Pulse security system with motion detectors.

Peggy, you are forgetting about your trained attack cats. Scary. You can take out a camera. Attack cats, not so much.

I don't think those two are worth much when it comes to security...they run under the bed when my housekeeper--the same one I've had for 10 years--arrives!

You can always get a wifi hotspot on your boat...I know that is a solution. Not sure what kind of data it eats up on a monthly basis.

What would be most useful to a lot of boaters; a camera that does not need an ethernet for initial setup and that can adapt and recover from occasional poor wi-fi. if you're moving a lot, say on the great loop, we know many marinas have less than optimal wi-fi but thats okay as long as it periodically gets enough signal to send some video through. Also in marinas of course you don't have direct access to the router and it would be nice not to have to clutter up the boat with its own router if you don't already have one.
Finally, it would be best if it also reported temp & humidity for winterizing season. There's a few products that claim to do all this but not sure what really works...?

What would be most useful to a lot of boaters; a camera that does not need an ethernet for initial setup and that can adapt and recover from occasional poor wi-fi. if you're moving a lot, say on the great loop, we know many marinas have less than optimal wi-fi but thats okay as long as it periodically gets enough signal to send some video through. Also in marinas of course you don't have direct access to the router and it would be nice not to have to clutter up the boat with its own router if you don't already have one.
Finally, it would be best if it also reported temp & humidity for winterizing season. There's a few products that claim to do all this but not sure what really works...?

I think you could overcome that by setting up a router and a local onboard WiFi network that the camera remained on. Then the router just connects to the outside world as needed.

I think you could overcome that by setting up a router and a local onboard WiFi network that the camera remained on. Then the router just connects to the outside world as needed.

Possibly... but again if you're visiting different marinas, doesn't matter how good your boat network is; you're still at the mercy of how good the marina wi-fi is. i've set up routers in homes, but still trying to minimize the amount of clutter and wiring and equipment on the boat....

Update got a camera

I got a YI Dome Camera off amazon and set it on boat today. Could not be happier. Less than $60, simple setup. I am in the airport in Baltimore checking out my boat at home. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

By the way the night vision is incredible. With no lights on at night, the camera looks as clear as during the day.

Kurt

Attachments

• 700E4371-2823-486A-98DB-129EC2F3AACA.jpg
    700E4371-2823-486A-98DB-129EC2F3AACA.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 98
Amazing. Would you post your experience/satisfaction once you’ve installed?

Thanks!

Here are nite and day pics. Cams installed yesterday. Install was very easy. Just set up in cabin and on bridge to test. They will be mounted in the opposite corner of the ER. You just swipe the screen to pan and tilt. No zoom on camera but you can pinch the screen. They rotate 355 degrees. The wind is blowing 35 here. The camera mic is picking up the halyard slap from near by sailboats.

Attachments

• 1118171743_resized.jpg
    1118171743_resized.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 1118171741_HDR_resized.jpg
    1118171741_HDR_resized.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 1119170834_resized.jpg
    1119170834_resized.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 1119170835_HDR_resized.jpg
    1119170835_HDR_resized.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 76
Here are nite and day pics. Cams installed yesterday. Install was very easy. Just set up in cabin and on bridge to test. They will be mounted in the opposite corner of the ER. You just swipe the screen to pan and tilt. No zoom on camera but you can pinch the screen. They rotate 355 degrees. The wind is blowing 35 here. The camera mic is picking up the halyard slap from near by sailboats.

Thanks, Dave. Like Jack Aubrey said, what a fascinating modern age we live in.

The camera mic is picking up the halyard slap from near by sailboats.

Bolt cutters will fix that...

Anyway, thanks for posting! I'm going to look seriously at a camera like that. I bet it would be handy underway to keep an eye on the ER, too.

I’m installing an Iris sysyem on our boat to keep track of temps, humidity, water leaks, intruders and, hopefully, SOC. I checked with Iris technical support and they say cameras other than the ones they sell don’t work with the second gen Iris system. :mad: (I’ll probably try one anyway, because my BS sensor was starting to twitch.) Getting push notices and having lights turn on when the camera activates—all through the same app—would be a great solution.

I got a YI Dome Camera off amazon and set it on boat today. Could not be happier. Less than $60, simple setup. I am in the airport in Baltimore checking out my boat at home. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

By the way the night vision is incredible. With no lights on at night, the camera looks as clear as during the day.

Kurt

Kurt,
that Yi camera looks pretty good. I'm wondering if this can be setup at any random marina where you you have wi-fi but don't directly control the router? and also do you have a boat internal wi-fi network?

I've got a good, easy and flexible setup if you're willing to invest about $500.

I use the Netgear Arlo Pro wireless cameras (now on version 2). They use rechargeable batteries, so they are completely wireless. I bought a kit that includes 3 cameras and a basestation that includes an alarm. The cameras only stream when you view them from the app or when they detect motion. I've found battery life to be 2-3 months, depending on how frequently they are triggered or viewed.

They are completely wireless, so I position them depending on my needs. One stays in the cabin, but I have moved it throughout to keep an eye on leaks or AC temps. One stays in the engine room, which has saved me twice while away from the boat for stuck pumps. I keep one at the helm pointed aft to capture anyone boarding the boat and most of the cockpit. The motion detection is very good with minimal false alarms. The cameras are also night vision capable so you can leave lights off.

On the networking side, I use a semi-fancy router for various reasons, but you can buy a cheaper one for $50 bucks. I also bought a Verizon Mifi modem that I use for connectivity, with marina wifi as a failover. It's an extra 10 bucks a month on my phone bill.

This setup got me through Hurricane Irma when we lost power at the marina, I was able to keep an eye on things until it was restored. I check on the boat frequently and the motion detection alerts me as to when service techs arrive and finish. If you want something more serious for security, you can have the alarm sound when it detects motion.

Some of the big sportfishers in the marina have 6-12 camera setups with DVRs akin to commercial security setups. They cost thousands and IMO don't match this in terms of flexibility and cost.

A security system that relies on someone else's equipment or services (a marina's Wi-Fi system) can't really be counted on as a security system. I know in my case, my marina's Wi-Fi is down as often as it is up. When travelling, I end up using my own Verizon hot spot as often as a transient marina's system because of speed or reliability.

If you want a reliable system, you should leave the marina out of the loop and use equipment and services that you control. In my experience, Verizon has the best coverage in the USA but it's also the most expensive.

So - if you can connect everything to a Verizon hot spot and the cost isn't an issue, I would think that's the way to go.

If you have an extra iphone, download the Manything app. The old phone is set up as your camera and your newer phone is the viewer. It works over wifi or data, your choice. It sends you notifications if there is any movement or noises on the boat, you set how sensitive you want it to be. You can remotely switch between front and back camera on the phone as well as turn on the phones light. You can even talk through the phone, if you want to yell at the otters or seagulls!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom