Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Baggiolini's Avatar
 
City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 405
Remote Control Model Trawler

I'm on a hunt for a remote control trawler so I can disrupt those off season Model Victoria Sailboat races at the yacht club. Anyone ever seen anything like that? I see lots of go fast boats and an occasional lobster boat but no trawlers.
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Guru
 
City: somewhere
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,356
Really?
__________________
Life is a Beach
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Guru
 
Giggitoni's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,008
It depends on how much you want to spend. You could shop the hobby stores which specialize in radio controlled boats and buy a "close match" to your boat. Another option is to have a replica made of your boat and have it fitted with a radio control system. The boat I'm holding is a close replica to our Mahalo Moi which I had made by a company in Oregon. I chose not to have radio control added due to added cost at the time. However, I am tempted to try to fit it myself someday when I have more time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3906658969.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	21343
__________________
Ray
"Mahalo Moi"
1986 GB-42 Classic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Guru
 
rochepoint's Avatar
 
City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,680
Or just get a bigger/faster sailboat and have fun driving them crazy.....

We carry two of these International One Metre (39" long/7' tall) RC models on our PT 38, great time for the kids we meet when cruising.....even great for Big kids too! More on our boat's website under IOM
Attached Thumbnails
Thee.jpg  
__________________
Cheers
Mike
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Baggiolini's Avatar
 
City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
It depends on how much you want to spend. You could shop the hobby stores which specialize in radio controlled boats and buy a "close match" to your boat. Another option is to have a replica made of your boat and have it fitted with a radio control system. The boat I'm holding is a close replica to our Mahalo Moi which I had made by a company in Oregon. I chose not to have radio control added due to added cost at the time. However, I am tempted to try to fit it myself someday when I have more time.

Attachment 21343
Ray, who built that for you and what did it cost? I love it.
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Baggiolini's Avatar
 
City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Or just get a bigger/faster sailboat and have fun driving them crazy.....

We carry two of these International One Metre (39" long/7' tall) RC models on our PT 38, great time for the kids we meet when cruising.....even great for Big kids too! More on our boat's website under IOM
Love it. Those are huge, probably twice the size of a Victoria. Great pictures!
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
Guru
 
Giggitoni's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggiolini View Post

Ray, who built that for you and what did it cost? I love it.
I had it built about three years ago by a company called Captains Models out of Cottage Grove, Oregon www.captainsmodels.net

I think it was about $2,500 give or take. Then add a few bucks to have them install radio control.
__________________
Ray
"Mahalo Moi"
1986 GB-42 Classic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012