Remind me again, Why Document?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Best Alternative
Vessel Make
36 Albin Aft Cabin
I just received my renewal notice for documenting my boat from Homeland Security. In the eternal scheme of things $31.00 is somewhere between "nothing" and a "drop in the bucket".

At one point in time I thought the renewal was going to shift to every other year. That doesn't seem to be the case.

I still have to pay the regular "State" registration.

The only advantage I see is that I don't have to paint numbers on the bow of the boat. There must be other advantages to having a documented vessel that I have forgotten about or never knew.

Wise me up, please.

pete

If you have a loan on the boat the bank will usually require the boat be documented if the boat is a larger boat. They have a better lien on it than state registration and some states don’t title boats.

It has more nautical cache' than mundane state registration. And it relieves you of having to clutter the elegant aesthetic of your bow with state reg numbers (although you'll still have to display the state reg sticker). That's about it. Well, unless you're globe hopping or your bank requires it.

In Virginia, state Sales tax is only paid if the boat is state registered. Documented boats pay no sales tax.

"other advantages to having a documented vessel that I have forgotten about or never knew."

When selling the document can show there are no liens or lawsuits against the vessel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom