Reliability of 1986 Perkins 135 hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It could blow up tomorrow or it could last 10,000 hours. Depends entirely upon whether it's been properly maintained, or not.

28 years, 3700 hours, 132 hours per year or an average of 2.5 hours a week...

We have the same engine with about 3100 hours. Still runs strong.

Find out when it last had an oil change. Get it running and warm and pull an oil sample.
Send said sample into the lab and see what they have to tell you. Over all old Perkins are a super reliable engine and pretty forgiving of being treated poorly. There used to be millions of them in farm tractors that just ran and ran.

How does Perkins compare to Lehman?
I`ve had both, similar robust usually long lived large capacity low output agricultural engines.
But, does the Perkins have a manicooler, that may not be so good. Then again I just read somewhere here you can`t get a new Lehman exhaust manifold.

The base engine will last a very long time. The maintenance and or abuse suffered by the hang ons are what determine its ultimate life. Assuming a new to you engine, you can help yourself a lot right now by getting the two HXers professionally serviced and install a brand new water pump. Change all fluids and filters. Ditto the genset.

Pour through the service manual for other needs, Perkins manuals are pretty complete. Take no shortcuts if a new to you engine. Last but not least, engage a good mechanic to assist you in a complete engine go over.

"I like it better because it's blue."

Mine is red. Is it a Lehman in disguise?

1984 model. 3000 hours and no problems. Doesn't use oil between 100-150 hour changes.

Tom

1984 vintage. 2,770 hrs and still running strong. Be concerned if it doesn't smoke like hell when started cold. : )

1976 6.354 NA's. Port engine had a valve job due to salt water ingestion from a leaking hose. Otherwise both are totally original.

Just watch the hoses that cross over the air intake or better yet add a hose elbow to relocate the air cleaner higher.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom