release the nautical masses from nautical terms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charlesamilton

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Wahuntchoo
Vessel Make
Grand Banks / Classic
Just wondering if I am the only one that really don't see the necessity of nautical terms. Is it really a sin to call a bathroom a bathroom on a boat? or right and left, or bedroom, and does it make any difference if you call a rope a rope, and a kitchen a kitchen? What is the reason for this lingo? Are we cool cuz we have our own language and are part of a exclusive club that feels it is important to call a wall a bulk head? I am a carpenter by trade and you know what guys that are ashamed of being a carpenter call themselves... a "housewright" I guess having a club with its own clever lingo is fun but is it really necessary?

What no port and starboard complaint?
I've always viewed people who can't be bothered with the nomenclature, as a sign of how serious they are about boating in general. Do you feel the same way about things like "rules of the road"? Do you talk on the VHF like it's a CB radio, good buddy?

Ted

Sometimes it is important and sometimes it is just nice to have the knowledge. In an emergency if I say look on the port side my crew knows exactly where to look. On the other hand if I say look on the left and the crew is facing aft they may look on the starboard side instead of the port side. What is wrong with being specific or even having unique terminology?

I've always viewed people who can't be bothered with the nomenclature, as a sign of how serious they are about boating in general. Do you feel the same way about things like "rules of the road"? Do you talk on the VHF like it's a CB radio, good buddy?

Ted

10-4, roger over and out…

A very good reason for nautical terminology is clear communications.
Safety is enhanced when everybody understands exactly what is meant.

Belonging to an exclusive club is just one of the side benefits. ;)

I used to ask the same questions but eventually learned that in many cases the LINGO has a specific meaning.
I'm picking on these term specifically because most of us use and understand them. THey are quite common.

Eg. port/starboard vs left right

If you know the lingo you also know that the terms port/stbd are quite specific to the boats bow orientation, NOT where you are looking. Port/ stbd do not change depending upon your orientation.

Right/left are determined by the user meaning they could be the opposite to another person when each is facing the other.
We run into this even in conversation. Know the terms " the other left"
or " your right"

Port and stbd are specific.

THe navigation light are also based on these terms and many times when passing you will hear a referral to the lights or port/stbd. No question then what is meant.

If this kind of imprecise useage is done on the water sooner or later there will be trouble.

You may need to contact a pro. mariner or they you and it you don't know at least some of the lingo they use a lot of precious time can be wasted going back and forth.

I am a retired electrician and have run into this imprecise term useage in my trade and it can cause misunderstandings and trouble.

I won't argue that all the mariners terms need to be learned and used. But there are many that have very specific uses and you and I as pleasure boaters should know the common ones.

No, it is not a matter of coolness. It could be life saving in some circumstances.

Last edited:
Absolutely, my over and out is a clear example. Poor communications. Over means one thing and out means the opposite. There is a good reason for precise language. And Ted’s point about how serious they are about boating, take the time and expend the effort to learn the language.

Some of it is just tradition...so, yes... it is OK to call it bathroom or a kitchen. But, sometimes it makes a real difference. For instance, port and starboard sides are the always the same side of the vessel no matter which way you happen to be standing. So, when things get hairy and stressful it is best if you understand which side of the boat the skipper is asking you to steer to in order to avoid a collision. Same thing with 'walls'... there is a big difference between a hole in a bulkhead and a hole in the hull, even if to some they may both be walls. I don't suppose the line/rope thing is as big an issue now that we no longer hang mutineers..lol...

Absolutely, my over and out is a clear example. Poor communications. Over means one thing and out means the opposite. There is a good reason for precise language. And Ted’s point about how serious they are about boating, take the time and expend the effort to learn the language.

Precise language only works if the people who are using it know the language and all the definitions. A full time sailor talking to a weekend boater will spend more time explaining the words than conveying the message if he uses "nautical" terms vs. plain english.

For the average guy on the street, have you ever listened to two doctors talking about a case (or even read your medical file)? How many words had to be explained to you before you knew what was really being said?

Most jobs use terms that don't make sense to outsiders. I could give you a whole list from mine that most people couldn't make sense of.

Also, you used '10-4' which means 'Roger' except in New Hampshire where it means 'Relay'.

Don't ask me...

Excuse me, I'm going 10-100 now!

Last edited:
Using nautical terminology when a good idea, handy or necessary...yes it is absolutely necessary....

But much like a doctor calling out a specific scientific/medical/latin name for a condition when talking to other medical professionals .... a good idea...but using medical terminology on a 10 year old and using medical terminology rather than telling Johnny he just has a cold is not right either.

Heck, it took me years to figure out what port and starboard was... slow learner.

I used to use statute miles, because the old charts were that way, now converting back to nautical.

I can live with the talk.

I've also got my own talk with my co captain, much abbreviated to save time. When she says SHIX! I know somethings wrong.

As a carpenter do you say "Bring me a 2 x 4" "or bring me that stick" ??
How many pennies are in a nail ?
Every endeavor has it's own lingo.

Ted

The irony here, of course, is that left / right was literally the second item in his list of questions.

Sorry, Ted, just wanted to throw the poor OP a bone since he’s getting so roundly thrashed otherwise. I assume he’ll more carefully phrase fairly legitimate questions next time, if he ever comes back.

After a very long time seriously boating plus a couple maritime careers.... I can talk salty but rarely found the need. Around pros...sure I try and use the most correct terminology.

Around non and new boaters...I sweat it less as they may not really understand a lot of it or feel comfortable with the overwhelming switch in vocabulary.

So I have no problem with those who never or rarely use nautical terminology when it might be appropriate...I will just lump them with the non/new boaters I know. :D

Might as well call it driver’s side and passenger’s side.
Oh wait that won’t work.
Radiator in n stead of heat exchanger? Oh wait that won’t work either.
Sump pump? That’s close.

Sometimes it is important and sometimes it is just nice to have the knowledge. In an emergency if I say look on the port side my crew knows exactly where to look. On the other hand if I say look on the left and the crew is facing aft they may look on the starboard side instead of the port side. What is wrong with being specific or even having unique terminology?

In the count of 3, everyone point to the right!

RV’ers calls ‘‘em Bathrooms even if they are only a Shoilet. On a boat, it’s called a head. However, if you want to use “Pointy End” and “Blunt End”, I’ll give you a pass on that. Don’t discuss “Rope”.

Obviously you need to be aware of your audience. With a trained crew I can use the correct technical terminology. When we were dealing with the public in a SAR case we would bring the technical terminology down to their level. It is pretty easy to figure out what that level is pretty quickly. So you talk at their level. In casual conversation you also know what that level is, but I work to introduce the correct terminology so they can learn it. That is to everyone’s benefit.

If you don’t have proper nomenclature you quickly devolve to asking for the other thingymabobber.

Saloon...Bwahahaha...

iu

interesting different points of view,enjoyed the banter even if you aren't starboard or wrong

If we are getting ready to leave the dock, instead of saying something like "Untie the rope thingie that is tied to one of the the hooky thingamabobs on the float thingie we walk down to to get on the boat, and pull it onto the flat thingie on the boat you walk on. Not THAT rope thingie, the one that is tied more parallel to the boat, not the rope thingies that are tied more perpendicular to the boat"

I'd much rather say say "Take in the spring line." But that's just me.

Oh, and for clarification of EP's post # 18, it is not Pointy end and Blunt end, they are correctly referred to as "the Pointy end" and "the Roundy end!":whistling: No need to thank me!:hide:
Seriously, to answer the OP's question in another manner, I refer you ssbol's post # 9 above and ask the question:
After you've owned a boat for a number of years would you rather be referred to as a "Sailor" or "Professional", or a "Weekend boater"?

By the way, Welcome to the forum! And remember, the best boat is the one you currently own, or have available to use, because the whole point of all of this is to get out on the water and enjoy yourself!:dance:

If we are getting ready to leave the dock, instead of saying something like "Untie the rope thingie that is tied to one of the the hooky thingamabobs on the float thingie we walk down to to get on the boat, and pull it onto the flat thingie on the boat you walk on. Not THAT rope thingie, the one that is tied more parallel to the boat, not the rope thingies that are tied more perpendicular to the boat"

I'd much rather say say "Take in the spring line." But that's just me.

Oh, and for clarification of EP's post # 18, it is not Pointy end and Blunt end, they are correctly referred to as "the Pointy end" and "the Roundy end!":whistling: No need to thank me!:hide:
Seriously, to answer the OP's question in another manner, I refer you ssbol's post # 9 above and ask the question:
After you've owned a boat for a number of years would you rather be referred to as a "Sailor" or "Professional", or a "Weekend boater"?

By the way, Welcome to the forum! And remember, the best boat is the one you currently own, or have available to use, because the whole point of all of this is to get out on the water and enjoy yourself!:dance:

Ok, now you are just hallucinating, very few boats have a roundy end.

Nautical terms are for nautical persons' doings. Carpentry construction terms are for carpenters' doings. Medical terms are for doctors'/nurses' doings. Masonry construction terms are for masons' doings. Mechanical terms are for mechanics' doings Etc, etc!

Using general BS "overall" terms are only for talking general BS [e.g. relatively unimportant doings], Not for specific trades and circumstances. And... if general BS terms are allowed to overtake centuries of categorized, specific, meaningful terms - well - then everything will begin to smell of the same, indistinguishable non-definition aroma.

Wifey B: I see some as necessary and some as inflated sense of something, but I'm not sure what. :lol:

European builders are less rigid than many here. Why call a bedroom a stateroom? And then the Master Stateroom? Doesn't that sound a bit pompous and there is zero difference in meaning. Same with galley vs. kitchen and head and bathroom. And for those who claim port and starboard are different than left and right, not to the boat. Port is the boat's left side. That doesn't change to the boat, based on where the human is. :) And when someone not into boating calls a line a rope, if trying to train them it may be important, but if you just want them to hand it to you, not so much.

Yes, we need to educate but not be pedantic in doing so. Homebuilders are changing. Some are labeling bedrooms as Sleep and some labeling dining rooms as Eat. If the point is made, then fine. If, however, the point isn't made and something is lost to a critical mission, then ^###&$&^. :mad:

Just pick your battles carefully and don't run people away for the wrong reasons. Why I haven't seen issues on terms on the forum, I sadly have in real. I saw a man being rude to a woman, who I assume was wife, girlfriend, or prospective girlfriend, right before she slapped him and grabbed her heels and went quickly off the boat. She did yell one thing loudly on the way out, being sure everyone heard it. It had to do with size and the medical oriented here might argue against using the term she meant, but everyone understood. :rofl:

Now, when it comes to the use of the radio, I share strong feelings, as it can interfere with important duties by those who might just save a life. :)

When visiting a sailboat its always nice to know what,,,

JIBE OOOH means.

Terminology comes easy...
It's the secret handshake that's more difficult!
(It's not published, no videos, and Google won't teach you it)

we have specific terms in carpentry, I dont call 2x 4s "sticks", but a rafter is a rafter, a joist is a joist, but right is right and left is left. If I am on my boat right is not according to where I am standing just as starboard is not dictated by which way I am facing. starboard is right, just call it right. A cleat is a cleat just call it a cleat not a watchamacallit. A bathroom and a toilet are a bathroom and a toilet, even on a boat. An anchor is an anchor, there is no other name for it, that is my point. Using the english language to describe things is its basis but giving new names to accepted definitions is fun but a little silly

Situation:

A beautiful mermaid is seen swimming on water surface off starboard side of the boat - you were standing back to bow [boat front]... facing toward stern [boat back] and I yelled look to right quickly before the pretty mermaid goes back under the water surface... well - you would have looked to your right i.e., port [left side of boat]; completely missing sight of the beautiful mermaid!

And... that may be the last opportunity you ever have to clearly view a real live swimming mermaid. See what'd you'd have missed by not knowing, using nor apparently caring one bit about understanding or using correct nautical nomenclature/terms! :speed boat: :dance:

PS: Trig, Line Block, Hard Line, Paddle Wheel, Brick Trowel, Pointer, Hard Trowel, Mag Float, Wet Saw, Brick Stone, - All are the "correct" tool names in the masonry, tile and concrete industry. Just like there is correct nomenclature in the marine industry.

Funny anecdote: Years ago a new laborer on one of my masonry projects asked me... where he could find a spatula? I replied McDonalds. He said that the mason on the chimney needed one. I asked... what the F is a spatula in masonry construction. He looked around and found one... it was a brick trowel. See - utilizing correct nomenclature is by far the best way to converse under most situations. :thumb: :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom