Registration Fees could increase in Cali

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catalinajack - okay, Sally's or Pepe's?

Once again, you can't quote just one statistic. The reported unemployment rate only looks at those who are looking for work. The actual percentage of the population that are able to work but are not working is much higher. The point I was trying to make is that the % of people who work AND pay taxes is becoming smaller all the time. It's puzzling to me that there are many people who pay no taxes and yet they can file and receive a tax refund. Once the people receiving handouts exceeds those paying taxes, "tax the rich" can become anyone currently with enough income that they are paying taxes. And yes our pizza rules! Almost makes it worth it what it costs to live here.

Last edited:
Catalinajack - okay, Sally's or Pepe's?

There's nothing like a Pepe's white clam pie, but that's not the point. I've been to Pepe's a handful of times, but almost any CT pizzeria is better than anything anywhere else. Reminds me of a pizza place in FL I went to. Their version of a sausage pizza, was a pizza topped with brown-n-serve breakfast sausage!

When I was a little kid we were a diehard Sally's family -- we'd never set foot in Pepe's for any reason. However, although Sally's is still the best pizza in the known universe, we finally got tired of the silly waiting in line for hours and irregular days open. We're 50/50 Pepe's/Sally's now, depending on the lines out the doors on Wooster Street. My mother told stories about how rich people would fly to CT from all over the country just for the pizza on Wooster Street. Never thought I would be one of those "rich" people myself. Come on boys, pack an overnight bag, we're having pizza this weekend. Plain mooz, or even just sauce, otherwise naked, and orange soda or white birch beer, Foxon Park. Yeah yeah, white clam, I know, but not in our family.

Attachments

• 20210303_094333.jpg
    20210303_094333.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210303_094346.jpg
    20210303_094346.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 9
I never understood the Sally's vs. Pepe's rivalry since they are both awesome and both better than most anywhere else in the world. BTW, when I grew up in CT, not New Haven but not far, a pizza with cheese was a "scamotz" pizza not a mooz. I believe this originated from scamorza cheese instead of mozzarella, but not a strict requirement. A few places still have a it on the menu:

SCAMOTZ!
pronounced "Ska-Moats" An old-school Bridgeport pizza made with tomato sauce, a touch of oregano, garlic and Scamorza cheese $12

https://www.pizzacostratford.com/#menu

Absolutely true.
There's nothing like a Pepe's white clam pie, but that's not the point. I've been to Pepe's a handful of times, but almost any CT pizzeria is better than anything anywhere else. Reminds me of a pizza place in FL I went to. Their version of a sausage pizza, was a pizza topped with brown-n-serve breakfast sausage!

No need to stand in line on Wooster St for a Pepe's pizza any more. Pepe's now has locations in Manchester, West Hartford, Fairfield, Danbury, Mohegan Sun, and Waterbury in CT. In Massachusetts they have shops in Chestnut Hill, Burlington, and Watertown. Plus, there's Warwick, RI and Yonkers.

Every one has coal-fired ovens made to the exact dimensions of the original location on Wooster St. Even the cast iron doors to the coal oven are exact duplicates. They are cast from molds made from the originals. I go to the West Hartford shop every time I visit Connecticut, about eight times a year. Some trips result in two visits.

Is Sally's better? It's all opinion. What I do know is that there is no match anywhere for Pepe's, Sally's, or Modern Apizza. All three are superior to anything, anywhere. But, there are other shops around that are also better just not as well known. Zuppardi's Apizza in West Haven, Ernie's in New Haven, Berkshire Cafe in Torrington. Connecticut is pizza paradise.
When I was a little kid we were a diehard Sally's family -- we'd never set foot in Pepe's for any reason. However, although Sally's is still the best pizza in the known universe, we finally got tired of the silly waiting in line for hours and irregular days open. We're 50/50 Pepe's/Sally's now, depending on the lines out the doors on Wooster Street. My mother told stories about how rich people would fly to CT from all over the country just for the pizza on Wooster Street. Never thought I would be one of those "rich" people myself. Come on boys, pack an overnight bag, we're having pizza this weekend. Plain mooz, or even just sauce, otherwise naked, and orange soda or white birch beer, Foxon Park. Yeah yeah, white clam, I know, but not in our family.

No need to stand in line on Wooster St for a Pepe's pizza any more. Pepe's now has locations in Manchester, West Hartford, Fairfield, Danbury, Mohegan Sun, and Waterbury in CT. In Massachusetts they have shops in Chestnut Hill, Burlington, and Watertown. Plus, there's Warwick, RI and Yonkers.

Every one has coal-fired ovens made to the exact dimensions of the original location on Wooster St. Even the cast iron doors to the coal oven are exact duplicates. They are cast from molds made from the originals. I go to the West Hartford shop every time I visit Connecticut, about eight times a year. Some trips result in two visits.

Is Sally's better? It's all opinion. What I do know is that there is no match anywhere for Pepe's, Sally's, or Modern Apizza. All three are superior to anything, anywhere. But, there are other shops around that are also better just not as well known. Zuppardi's Apizza in West Haven, Ernie's in New Haven, Berkshire Cafe in Torrington. Connecticut is pizza paradise.

You are right about that. Another favorite of mine is Salerno's in Stratford, but it is hard to beat the huge coal fired ovens of Pepe's. Worth a trip just to watch them work the ovens.

Those who work are in the minority? I guess it depends on how one defines minority. The unemployment rate is what, 6%, 7%, 8%. That's a minority? Full employment is generally considered to exist when the rate gets down to 4 or 5%. ...

Unemployment is based on those who are SEEKING work. If no incentive to work, people won't. Based on the number of automobiles mid-day in store parking lots and on the roads, seems like half the population isn't working. Retired people deserve it, but the number on "disability" seem excessive.

Since the thread is discussing lot of topics i thought i would mention i had another guy quit yesterday. His reason was making more on unemployment and subsidies with a little under the table side work. At least he was honest but our available labor force is almost non-exsistant right now.

Since the thread is discussing lot of topics i thought i would mention i had another guy quit yesterday. His reason was making more on unemployment and subsidies with a little under the table side work. At least he was honest but our available labor force is almost non-exsistant right now.

At some point employers will choose to join that crowd. Then what?

The thread is closed. The site rules are clear about content. We are a boating forum and politics are are not part of it.

Thanks for understanding.

TF Site Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom