Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 12:56 PM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Registration Fees could increase in Cali

Could increase a whopping 250%!! This sucks.

https://www.thelog.com/snw/proposed-...5f210-47817425
Old 02-18-2021, 01:19 PM   #2
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Could increase a whopping 250%!! This sucks.

https://www.thelog.com/snw/proposed-...5f210-47817425
Don't mean to be too cra$$... however... time$ change; co$t$ go up. Covid-19 pandemic has put economic pr$$ure onto every level imaginable. Wait till $tock market$ face reality... Boy, $ay Howdy!

$70 for two year$ of regi$tration [$35 per year] on ve$$el$ valued from ten$ of thou$and$ to many ten$ of thou$and dollar$ is rally not all that bad.

Of cour$e I'd like to pay le$$ for everything, but, that'$ just a pipedream in 2021.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:50 PM   #3
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Of course, if your boat is CG documented, registration in California will still be $0.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:54 PM   #4
Swa

City: Tampa
Dont you just love Gavin Newsom and the great state of California- RIP RL
Old 02-18-2021, 02:17 PM   #5
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
California has had a spending problem for at least 50 years. It's easy to spend someone else's money. Yachts are an easy target, only rich people have boats...
Old 02-18-2021, 03:31 PM   #6
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Apparently the CA government has a massive surplus of unspent money as a result of the pandemic. So claiming a budget deficit is a bit of a joke. CA government is swimming in cash.

Most recreational boaters who actually register their boats through the state also pay excessive fuel tax as they get their fuel at gas stations . Gas tax was just increased in CA. Remember, fuel tax purchased by at gas stations is supposed to go to boating needs, not highways. As of now only 15% of fuel taxes paid by boaters are going towards the HWRF and are diverted elsewhere. So really , boaters are getting screwed sideways with this new rule.

Personally, moving forward, all my dinks and small craft will remain unregistered in the state as I'm sure the fine is less than the actual registration fees and sales taxes involve.

I also have a bunch (20 ish?) of green stickered vehicles. I recently just sold about half of them off and one of the reasons why is because of the excessive registration fees I have been paying on them annually.

If you make any money at all in CA they will get you. That is why everyone is fleeing the state . This fee will just be one more nail in the coffin for CA.

I also just joined the RBOC . They are at least fighting the new fees. https://www.rboc.org/
Maybe others will consider a donation as well.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:34 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
California has had a spending problem for at least 50 years. It's easy to spend someone else's money. Yachts are an easy target, only rich people have boats...

Yachts are not the target. PWC, and small craft are the target of this tax increase.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Don't mean to be too cra$$... however... time$ change; co$t$ go up. Covid-19 pandemic has put economic pr$$ure onto every level imaginable. Wait till $tock market$ face reality... Boy, $ay Howdy!

$70 for two year$ of regi$tration [$35 per year] on ve$$el$ valued from ten$ of thou$and$ to many ten$ of thou$and dollar$ is rally not all that bad.

Of cour$e I'd like to pay le$$ for everything, but, that'$ just a pipedream in 2021.

What about that fee on a vessel worth $500? or $1000? Its not rally so low anymore then. Annual fees approaching 10% of the value of a boat doesn't seem fair.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #9

City: Port Hope
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
What about that fee on a vessel worth $500? or $1000? Its not rally so low anymore then. Annual fees approaching 10% of the value of a boat doesn't seem fair.
Hasn't anyone ever told you that life is not always fair?
Old 02-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #10
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Don't know about CA, but in TX you still pay state registration even if CG documented.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R M View Post
Hasn't anyone ever told you that life is not always fair?

I dont need to be told it at my age. I see it everywhere regularly. But that does not mean i cannot point it out when I see it.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:44 PM   #12
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:

I also have a bunch (20 ish?) of green stickered vehicles. I recently just sold about half of them off and one of the reasons why is because of the excessive registration fees I have been paying on them annually.
Quote:

That's a lota boats! Do you rent out small boats?

"I also have a bunch (20 ish?) of green stickered vehicles."

"What about that fee on a vessel worth $500? or $1000?"
Old 02-18-2021, 05:44 PM   #13
DDW
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Actually the California state budget spending per capita is #22 out of 50 states, just above average. Well below states like North Dakota, Arkansas, Kentucky, West Virginia, etc.; all of those states spend more per person. Alaska is the high flyer, more than double the spending per person than California.

Doesn't make California government exactly thrifty, but we are going to have the chance to recall our governor again here shortly.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I don't know how anybody tolerates living in CA. That state is a train wreck with beautiful weather.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:05 PM   #15
DDW
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
I don't know how anybody tolerates living in CA. That state is a train wreck with beautiful weather.
It is in fact the weather. Today sunny and about 68 deg. How's the weather today in SD?
Old 02-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #16
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Don't know about CA, but in TX you still pay state registration even if CG documented.
Hope you don't have Texas numbers on the bow if documented.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:22 PM   #17
Guru

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Registration fees here in Michigan range from $14 to $448 every three years based on length. And we only get to use our boats half the year. And no break if you're Documented, you still have to have State registration. I'd love to be paying $35 a year.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:25 PM   #18
Guru

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Hope you don't have Texas numbers on the bow if documented.
Federal law prohibits state numbers on Doc'd boats. The States can make you register and post a tax sticker, but they can't make you put their numbers on it.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:38 PM   #19
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I am not clear, is this a rant over $35 a year?
Old 02-18-2021, 07:45 PM   #20
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
It is in fact the weather. Today sunny and about 68 deg. How's the weather today in SD?
Trade-offs in life. It's gray and miserable and about 15 degrees (after 26 below zero a couple days ago), but my state boat registration is $20 a year, no annual property tax on the boat, no state income taxes, no COVID lockdowns, deer browsing in the backyard (well within Sioux Falls city limits, so I'm not talking about the boonies), no required gun permits, we don't lock the cars in the driveway at night, and when we're down at the marina my kids yell "We're going to hunt frogs Dad, see you later!" and they come back hours later safe and alive. And we legally shoot off fireworks on the 4th of July and our 4,000 sq foot house on just under an acre doesn't cost $52 billion dollars and we don't have to sell body organs to pay the property taxes. And if my commute to work takes more than nine minutes I get annoyed. On the other hand the boat is a popsicle on jack stands and won't thaw until April. Trade offs.
Closed Thread