Old 12-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #41
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
I like it mainly because of the decent luggage rack that I could mount a big crate onto for lugging fresh vege and meat from whatever markets are nearby but $2 grand buys a lot of uber, car and motor scooter rental, especially in our intended cruising grounds.

I do have a couple of solid, Giant mountain bikes at the dirt house that I have considered retrofitting with electric wheels, seems you can get 1000+ watt for a few hundred dollars.
The "claims" sound impressive.

https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Electric-C...14/bn_16375062
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #42
JDM

City: Pax River NAS
Vessel Name: Ancient Mariner
Vessel Model: Hyatt Voyager
Ebike laws

We got wheel chair handicap stickers on ours, so they are “power assisted mobility devices” under federal law, which trumps any state or local restrictions. They are legal on any public access trail or highway.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #43

City: MN and FL
Vessel Name: Serendipitous
Vessel Model: Mainship 390, Bayliner 3258, Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
We've been thinking ahead to when we get our next boat and start cruising in retirement (two years, two months, twenty-three days). We wanted a couple of folding, electric bikes. We settled on a couple of Radmini's and took delivery yesterday.

Pretty easy to assemble. Called the customer service line for advice on one thing, got right through to someone, and he had the answer immediately.

This afternoon, we rode them about four or four and a half miles. Mine hit 19.7 mph on full electric drive with no peddling. At the end of the ride, the battery meter hadn't even moved off of Full. They even come with a little bell on the handlebars.

I'm not affiliated with the company in any way, just a happy customer.

John

We found these at Amazon and loved them...all Aluminum folding biles, very light but not electric. These have held up quite well in a salt-water marina environment, which really surprised me!! Less than $300 each!

http://a.co/d/a3coWyJ
Old 12-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #44
Guru

City: Trenton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
May be true in most states but not in NY

"WHERE TO RIDE:

Electric bicycles may*not be ridden on any street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk or other in New York State that allows public motor traffic."

In New Jersey you would not be allowed to recharge them yourself.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #45

City: Cataumet, Cape Cod MA
Vessel Name: Paumanok
Vessel Model: Albin 34 Fast Trawler
Dahon Folding bikes

I can't imagine loading 60 lb bikes into and then out of the dinghy onto a dock or back onto your boat.

This summer will be our 16th year with our Dahons - small wheels, 7 speeds. We've pedaled 22 miles in one day all over Martha's Vineyard. We have mud guards and racks on the back. The racks allow for easy grocery shopping and/or hauling 15 lb blocks of ice back to the boat. We can negotiate high hills including the hill from North Light on Block Island back to town with relative ease. Manual pedaling will help keep us in shape (hopefully) for many more years of boating. The bikes slide into bags (found on Amazon - MoBics) very easily. We find these bags to be easier to use than our original Dahon bags. The bikes ride in the galley and we bring them to shore and lock them up for the length of our stay at each anchorage. Any form of land transportation makes it much more of an exploratory adventure when you get to your new destination.

Happy Solstice, we are now officially on our way to the new boating season!!!
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:00 AM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Westport
Vessel Name: Osprey Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
We went with Giant aluminum commuter bikes $300 or so....full size 7 gears ....can really cover a lot of ground. Starting year 3 and still working. Regarding corrosion I have become a bio shield believer....first day with bikes sprayed every inch of my bike....moved it down the dock to get the admirals and I heard a splash....you guessed it...mine had fallen in and was just able to grab part of the handle bar as it went under. Also added a waterproof bag for each from Yardstash....big help as they reside on the flybridge aft railing.
J105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #47
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Dont forget to wear a suitable helmet. The 'nut shell' is not as thick as it used to be and we dont want the brain sloshing around inside the nut shell.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #48
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Any decent cruising boat should have the ability to load or unload several hundred pounds packages on or off... Ranging from bikes to refridgerators to transmissions to liquids to bikes/scooters.

Options are wonderful, limitations cause more stress when enjoyment is king./queen.

It it takes a few more minutes, what is cruising anyway?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #49

City: Chicago
I also plan on retiring and doing the great Loop. This will be my 3rd 🚣*♀️. I miss the life and got 4 yrs left. I bought an e-bike from Citizen a year ago. Left it out doors, only taking the battery and computer indoors. I also bought the bike bag to stow outside. Same conditions it will face on the bow of my boat. I am glad to say I am still riding the bike and my top speed on it is 17.6 mph
624axm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:48 PM   #50
Veteran Member

City: Barnegat Bay
Vessel Name: Hey Jude
Vessel Model: KK42-94
came across this folding bike site yesterday. Looks interesting.
https://www.downtube.com/
Old 12-23-2018, 06:43 AM   #51
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapnKarl View Post
came across this folding bike site yesterday. Looks interesting.
https://www.downtube.com/

I have a Downtube folding bike. It's OK. It's an 8H, IIRC, with front suspension... so the rear rack can be seriously loaded with something like a milk crate for carrying heavy stuff like big ice bags and essentials like beer.

Could be better, with more use of stainless (at the folding mechanisms, brake fittings, etc.). The Sturmey-Archer internal 8-speed hub is better (in my mind) than exposed gears, but I think a belt drive would be better than a chain.

I tried to interest Downtube in making a "marine" version, without much enthusiasm. Likely too small a market...

When we bring the bikes out of storage, they can mostly stay above decks for the whole season... so the folding option isn't all that critical for us anymore.

Boatpoker mentioned the Trek District... I don't think it's made anymore, or at least not catalogued... but something like that but with an internal hub could be approaching our Nirvana.

-Chris
Old 12-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #52
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
If I were building up a bike for the boat, I'd build it with belt drive and the 14 speed Rohloff internal hub shifter. Since it is a sealed oil bath, pretty much no corrosion on the inside anyway. The downside of belt drives is the frame must be made to take it - you need to break the chain stay to change the belt as you cannot break the belt.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #53
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
A couple of years ago I built a pair of ebikes using Bikes Direct $300 single speed fat bikes and BBSHDs. A 3-speed Nexus 3 IGH laced into the stock rim reusing the original spokes at the same length. Mine were running 30a at 52v and I never pedaled preferring to ride them like motorcycles, on mountain trails with lots of climbs and descents I was able to get over 35 miles range while ghost pedaling. Top speed was limited by gearing to 20mph making them Class 1 compliant when the throttle was unplugged. A change of gearing and they would run in the mid thirty’s.

We decided not to bring them aboard, buying a Zuma 50 scooter instead for less money. One used scooter costs the same as a new ebike and will keep up with traffic, neither require a license, insurance or a helmet. We have a full power crane to put it onto the dock and we do not intend to ever use it when anchored and if we do will just drop it off at the dock when we pump out or fuel. It’s not hard to figure a way....
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #54
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
If I were building up a bike for the boat, I'd build it with belt drive and the 14 speed Rohloff internal hub shifter. Since it is a sealed oil bath, pretty much no corrosion on the inside anyway. The downside of belt drives is the frame must be made to take it - you need to break the chain stay to change the belt as you cannot break the belt.
A single speed ebike chain on an IGH is about a maintenance free as any chain can be. They are cheap too.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #55
Veteran Member

City: San Antonio
Does anyone keep a real bike on board? As in something like a BMW G650GS with panniers secured in the aft open cockpit? Requires a topside crane but at around 450 lb it's doable, not too heavy for the dock and offers complete freedom of travel when in the destination marina.
salishpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:26 PM   #56

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Think Big
Vessel Model: Camano Troll 2003
Carbo Superlight E-Bike

Waiting for Carbo to start shipping in March!

https://www.ridecarbo.com/
MiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #57
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonP View Post

Nice looking bike and because it is carbon fiber, no rust. I am not sure how the motor and electronics will stand up to a salty atmosphere.

16 or 20 inch wheels?
(looks like 16)
If it is 20 inch, I am running out of reasons not to order one.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #58
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Looking at the prices of some of these ebikes I begin to think Uber.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #59
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonP View Post

That's a pretty cool folding electric.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #60
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I have a Downtube folding bike. It's OK. It's an 8H, IIRC, with front suspension... so the rear rack can be seriously loaded with something like a milk crate for carrying heavy stuff like big ice bags and essentials like beer.

Could be better, with more use of stainless (at the folding mechanisms, brake fittings, etc.). The Sturmey-Archer internal 8-speed hub is better (in my mind) than exposed gears, but I think a belt drive would be better than a chain.

I tried to interest Downtube in making a "marine" version, without much enthusiasm. Likely too small a market...

When we bring the bikes out of storage, they can mostly stay above decks for the whole season... so the folding option isn't all that critical for us anymore.

Boatpoker mentioned the Trek District... I don't think it's made anymore, or at least not catalogued... but something like that but with an internal hub could be approaching our Nirvana.

-Chris
I came across this: https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/thecoast

The one speed has no parts that can rust but the 3 speed has a Shimano gear box they make clear isn't rust proof.

We currently have Montague folding, but they have lots of bits and pieces that get rusty so I think we want something a bit more robust.