Old 10-17-2021, 12:43 PM   #1

City: Vancouver
Reducing LOA

Hi, I have been searching for quite awhile for a boat that has everything that I am looking for and the Mainship 34 from around 2008 fits the bill. Unfortunately I am limited to 36 LOA with a little bit of flexibility but not an extra 2'10" in length. Moving to another marina is not an option so am wondering about reducing the LOA. Has anyone made a hinged pulpit? It looks like I would also the have to change the stainless rail as well which will affect the look of the boat as well. It's not an ideal situation but as we will never move from this marina I want to maximize our space on the water. Thank you.
Zercado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Boston Area
Would removing the swim platform be an option ?
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:54 PM   #3

It is but I would rather keep it. Thought about hinging that instead. Thanks
Old 10-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #4

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zercado View Post
Lots of sailboats with after market swim steps have them hinge up. Otherwise they drag in the water when heeled over sailing. Shouldn't be too hard to do, hinges where the step meets the transom and cables from above instead of struts from below. Or just remove it altogether?
jgwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #5
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Put hinges on it with folding struts.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #6

The reason I would like to keep the swim grid in place is that we use the boat a lot as a floating condo and we use our dinghy as a runabout in False Creek. Very rarely use the anchor.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
But when you do need to anchor you need a pulpit that is solidly attached. Much better to hinge swim platform. Also probably easier to do.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:15 PM   #8

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
The early 43 Selene's (Solo) had hinged swim platforms. Check out how they did it.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:20 PM   #9

Thanks for the info and will check out the Selenes.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:34 PM   #10
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
The reason I would like to keep the swim grid in place is that we use the boat a lot as a floating condo and we use our dinghy as a runabout in False Creek. Very rarely use the anchor.
Assuming the bow arrangement on the 34 is somewhat like my 30 Pilot, I would find it quite the task to cut through and arrange for some form of quick reconnection of the handrails on both sides as well as the bow pulpit (there is a very large chunk of wood encased in there) and to then to find a hinge strong enough as well as having to add a support strut coming up from the stem because no hinge will work by itself here. All this and now you have seriously damaged the resale value of the boat. Once you have seen how easy a flip-up swim platform is to handle, you will hopefully see the error of your thoughts on starting at the bow in this project.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Hi, I have been searching for quite awhile for a boat that has everything that I am looking for and the Mainship 34 from around 2008 fits the bill. Unfortunately I am limited to 36 LOA with a little bit of flexibility but not an extra 2'10" in length. Moving to another marina is not an option so am wondering about reducing the LOA. Has anyone made a hinged pulpit? It looks like I would also the have to change the stainless rail as well which will affect the look of the boat as well. It's not an ideal situation but as we will never move from this marina I want to maximize our space on the water. Thank you.
A search on the net found the Mainship 34 to be LOA 34 feet. I guess that is from the pointy end to the transom. Yours is 38'10". Is the 2'10" the size of swimgrid, then that hinged makes more sense than hinging the pulpit.

If you are under a timeline remove either and take the off season to come up with best plan.

I suppose since the marinas charge a 34 foot loa boat to park in a 36 foot berth then they have the right to charge 38'10" for your boat. But to say hanging out 2'10" is a problem is mind boggling.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #12
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
You mean like this:

Works great. I had to remove my pulpit for the same reason; to fit in the slip I own.

I had a local canvas shop bend me a SS rail to match the curve where the pulpit rail was cut. The base and the hinged part are 1/2" aluminum. You can work aluminum just like wood, with a saber saw and drill; you just have to go a LOT slower.

I use a snubber when I anchor overnight. There really should never be any structural loads on the pulpit that 1/2" aluminum can't handle. And of course the stainless roller is off the shelf; they're used on all kinds of boats.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:52 PM   #13

Thank you for all the responses. Much appreciated and I like what you have done CaptTom!
Old 10-17-2021, 05:37 PM   #14
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Have you put a tape to your boat? Mainship figures weren't ever the most accurate. IIRC my 34T was a bit over 39'. Maybe almost 40'. Don't know if modifying the swim platform would be sufficient to get to 36' though I agree it would be a much better approach than looking at the pulpit.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:42 PM   #15

I have not put a tape on it yet as I am going off of the online specs. I have a bit of wiggle room so if I was able to save 2 ft I should be good. Thank you
Old 10-17-2021, 05:53 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
A lot of boat owners of differing models have removed built in bow pulpits to reduce length.

I just removed mine and lost a full two feet. Three feet if I pull my anchor on deck.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:01 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
A lot of boat owners of differing models have removed built in bow pulpits to reduce length.

I just removed mine and lost a full two feet. Three feet if I pull my anchor on deck.
I am not sure but isnít the pulpit on the Mainship moulded in? If it is a bolt on pulpit then it is pretty easy to get rid of it.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I am not sure but isnít the pulpit on the Mainship moulded in? If it is a bolt on pulpit then it is pretty easy to get rid of it.
Thats good info. Will have to check it out. Thanks
Old 10-17-2021, 06:21 PM   #19

It seems like I have options so I will go ahead with the search to buy one. Hopefully I can find one on my side of the border. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2021, 06:47 PM   #20

City: Richmond, BC
Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
I had a similar issue at my last (50 foot) slip. Between the optional long pulpit, the tender on the Freedom Lift, and quite a large anchor, I was over-sized. I ended up dropping the anchor and rigging up a way to pull it to the side and back. That took off enough length. My next remedy would have been to use my crane to put the tender up on the boat deck; I am glad it didn’t come to that. I did try putting the anchor on the deck and rigging a small block and tackle, but it’s almost 70 pounds and it wasn’t safe for me to wrestle horizontally on and off the deck…my neighbor there did get his pulpit shortened by a few feet. The yard did a great job, but he reported it as being very expensive

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote