Reducing the height of the sun roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
We are very interested in the north pacific NP45 pilots house model.
the boat from waterline to roof is 17"3"

I have my name on the wait list for a covered 50 with16'10' clearance.
option 1.
Lower the roof 7 inches thus setting the ceiling height at 5'9" this would require radar and anythig on top be relocated. Where??
option 2

remove the sun deck and build a stainless arch that would be automatically lowered when needed .This would keep all electronics up high.
option 3
do nothing and dont try to make a boat fit a slip and just use an open slip.
You all have brought a lot of knowledge to me and have been a big help.
i want to say thank you to all the members of this group
Rod

Question isn't entirely clear to me. Assume "ceiling" means the hard top over the flybridge. Does 17'3" clearance mean the actual top of the hard top, or the radar dome? Fully loaded boat or half load?

Your options for boat surgery will likely be expensive and will be more likely to reduce the value of the boat than increase (unless you find a buyer who wants to keep boat in same slip). Reducing height to 5'9" is the worst possible option. Assuming the boat has a hard top, losing it is not a great option either. Many buyers would chose that boat over competition ones with canvas Bimini tops.

If the radar dome is the high point, you could relocate it to a hinged mast. Does not need to be centerline - could be a corner of the aft deck.

Is modification of the boat house an option? Likely less expensive, perhaps significantly less. It's a sunk cost anyway.

I do admire you for getting a slip first. Often harder to find than the boat itself as you're finding. To my mind, it's either an open slip as you suggest, find a covered slip with more clearance, or find a different boat. Really depends on how much you value a covered slip. Long term, boats kept under cover really keep their luster. But it comes at a cost.

Good luck
Peter

I know Seattle has some crazy weather but Don't modify your boat!

The people who designed and built that boat spent thousands of hours doing CAD design mockups, drawings and even models to get the "Look" they wanted. Doing a "chop job" on your boat would look exactly like what it is, a chop job.

But more important than looks. Consider the recent marina fires blamed on covered slips. They can be a real hazard. Even good ones.

If you have found the boat of your dreams, get an open slip or one with the height you need. Personally, I would go with open.

pete

magna 6882;876249[ said:
option 3
do nothing and dont try to make a boat fit a slip and just use an open slip.[/B]
You will destroy the resale value of the boat by trying to make it fit a covered slip. :nonono:

deleted

I have my name on the wait list for a covered 50 with16'10' clearance.
option 1.
Lower the roof 7 inches thus setting the ceiling height at 5'9" this would require radar and anythig on top be relocated. Where??
option 2

You mean a covered slip with 16'10" clearance?

If so, Option 3: find a different slip.

Not related to mentioning that, it happens we had a covered slip once, in FL near Ft. Lauderdale. The shade was nicely, mostly. Had spiders. And rust falling off the inside of the roof. Latter was more about the quality of that particular marina, though, not necessarily covered slips writ large.

-Chris

That is a real low roof line for a 50ft slip... The only down side to having a covered slip in the NW is you won't find the water leaks in your boat till you're out cruising and it rains. The other issue although rare, is if you don't have much overhead clearance, if it should snow alot. the snow load will cause the marina, roof and all to settle. In that case you might find that your boat becomes part of the marina's flotation. Get on waiting lists for slips that don't require modification of your boat.

Thank you guys. obviously you all all right. I think the clearance at this slip is just to low. There is a lot of stuff on the top that would have to be addressed. I think i kept going down the rabbit hole because the manufacture was so willing to find a solution. I dont think any boat in this category, considering antennas and the like, could deal with the restriction.
Thank you guys for being so blunt. Its really helpful to me.

Also, assuming you have some tidal variation, you would need to take that into account. Never good to float on up into the roof. I think you made the right decision to move on from that slip.

Back
Top Bottom