Old 09-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: Reducing glare

I think the Hatteras White goes very well with the white and the Jade Mist Green, and it doesn't glare. I've got it on my cabin top.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I just thought of another downside to dark hulls and light cabins. The light color is dominate. It makes things seem larger and on some boats w lots of hull and not much cabin that would be a plus and a manufacturer may be knowing about visual functions such as this and thus present a better product. As I recall most DDs have a large hull and smaller than usual cabins so the the dark hull and light cabin should work well so as to make the hull look not so massive (relatively speaking) and the boat w a light colored cabin should achieve a desirable visual mass proportion. Another thing to consider is what you want to draw attention too. A boat w a clumsy or awkward looking cabin and a beautiful sheer line and otherwise beautiful hull would logically have a bright in your face hull and a dark or visually recessive color like med dark grey on the cabin. The stern of many Ducks are large and boxy and would benefit from neither bright or dark hull. Perhaps a very unnoticeable color like a medium brownish green or a warm greenish grey would make the hull go along for the ride without crashing the party and drawing unnecessary attention to the somewhat ungraceful hull. When choosing colors one must know color combinations that just don't fly together like the mast buff on my cabin side and the yellow dinghy on the cabin top. However Mark has a big responsibility to choose his colors well the world of color is at his feet. When one buys a FB boat they get only the gelcoat choices that the manufacturer puts on the boat * * *....usually white or some variation so as to not put off buyers. But, of course any FG boat owner can paint his boat any color he wants. Have at it Mark.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
markpierce wrote:I'm thinking of having the pilothouse roof painted international orange.
Well, if you want a dark hull and an international orange pilothouse here's the combination for you.* This is the RNLI 47' lifeboat "William Street" that I was priviledged to ride on Morecambe Bay (UK) during a training excercise several years ago.* They even let me drive it for a bit.* For a short video of one of this class of lifeboat in action take a look at http://www.rnli.org.uk/what_we_do/li...ts/action_tyne

Attached Thumbnails
william-street.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

...*However Mark has a big responsibility to choose his colors well the world of color is at his feet. When one buys a FB boat they get only the gelcoat choices that the manufacturer puts on the boat * * *....usually white or some variation so as to not put off buyers. But, of course any FG boat owner can paint his boat any color he wants. Have at it Mark.
Am appreciating the feedback.* As of now, the tentative paint scheme includes some of your suggestions:

Hull: jade mist green (very dark green)

Waterline stripe and boat name/port on stern: federal yellow (bright yellow)

Deck, superstructure sides, and saloon roof: egg-shell white

Forward-cabin roof: San Mateo wheat (very light yellow)

Pilothouse roof and roof-edge: federal yellow (bright yellow)

I'll be "sitting" on this for a while before notifying the builder.* Oh, the boat is steel, not fiberglass.* No gelcoat here, so there are lots of color choices.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #25
Master and Commander

Reducing glare

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

...* *I'm not a fan of dark colored hulls and one does want to be seen on the water ...
While white is easier to see than a dark color, is white that good a color if one wants to be seen at*a distance out in fresh and higher winds with whitecaps all about?* But*Eric's yellow dinghy on the roof*is a good idea.

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 3rd of October 2010 04:47:49 PM
Old 10-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

markpierce,Eric's yellow dinghy is a bad idea color wise. It was fine till I painted the cabin sides mast buff w a very slight redish tint. The yellow and the buff DO NOT go together. The yellow dink will be repainted or replaced. Already have a rubber duckie to replace it. ARUG. Instead of white w your green how about cream or another soft earthy color. Be careful of green and yellow * * ....don't want to look like a John Deer tractor. I remember a guy that picked those colors for a kayak and I'll bet he had to give it away when it came time to sell. The yellow dink is handy when I tell someone where my boat is * * *..."it's the one w the yellow dink on top". Try not to use a green darker than the big yacht Walt posted a Picture of. From even a short distance away the dark colors seem to look black.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #27
Master and Commander

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

markpierce,
Eric's yellow dinghy is a bad idea color wise. ...
Well, I'm sorry to disagree,* Eric.* And if I was a thousand miles north of here, I'd seriously think of taking that dink off your hands, expecting a high discount since you disdain it so.* It would*make a good match for my boat.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #28
Master and Commander

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

markpierce,
... *Instead of white w your green how about cream or another soft earthy color. Be careful of green and yellow * * ....don't want to look like a John Deer tractor.
Don't worry.* The chosen green is closer to black than "Deere green" so*the boat shouldn't look anything like a Deere tractor (although it will have its*engine).

Old 10-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #29
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Here's a pic of our prevoius boat after I yachted her up and painted her Jade Mist Green. A few months later I had her painted Fighting Lady Yellow. in the end they both looked great! I do like the Off White in combo with white and the Jade Mist, first class!
Attached Thumbnails
dscn0259.jpg   dscn0279.jpg  
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #30
Master and Commander

Quote:
Keith wrote:

My favorite color! It's going to*be hot though. Just like the discussions on biminis, the darker the color the more heat it absorbs. Will be really awesome though. My boot stripe is deep green, painted on with Imron.
My boat seems to have plenty of insulation, so I'd think exterior colors will have little affect on interior temperatures.* Forward cabin:

Old 10-06-2010, 03:12 AM   #31
FF
Guru

My boat seems to have plenty of insulation

How well does it burn?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #32
Scraping Paint

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
My boat seems to have plenty of insulation,
A question....* IIRC, your boat is made out of metal.* What I can't remember is if it's aluminum or steel.* But if it's steel, everything I have heard from the few people I've known with steel boats is that they rust out from the inside, not the outside.* Which makes it critical to keep the inside of the hull bone dry, or as dry as it's possible to keep it.* I would think--- perhaps incorrectly--- that having all that insulation up against the inside of the hull would trap moisture between the insulation and the hull and raise the risk of hull deterioration.* Since I assume there will be paneling of some sort over the insulation, it won't be as easy for moisture to evaporate off.

I guess if it's an aluminum hull then moisture between the insulation and the hull is not something to worry about.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #33
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Marin wrote:" if it's steel, everything I have heard from the few people I've known with steel boats is that they rust out from the inside, not the outside. "
I had similar thoughts when I saw the photo of the insulation.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #34
Master and Commander

I'm not particularly concerned.* The interior steel is painted, and I expect to rust out before the boat ever does.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #35
Master and Commander

Reducing glare

This photo is of the end of one of the*many truss and deck bridge sections*making up the Southern Pacific (now Union Pacific) Railroad's Suisun Bay Bridge crossing the eastern end of Carquinez Strait.**It is well-rusted yet still carries scores of trains a day. I don't think the bridge has been painted for decades.

(Bridge completed in 1930, resulting in the retirement of the largest railroad ferries, Contra Costa and Solano, which carried trains between Port Costa and Benicia.)

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 6th of October 2010 04:29:17 PM
Old 10-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #36
Master and Commander

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

I had similar thoughts when I saw the photo of the insulation.

Plastic and wood hulls/interiors*burn real good.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #37
Master and Commander

Quote:
Baker wrote:

Why not just put a coupla cannons on board and shoot commercial grade fireworks every hour....nobody will ever lose track of you....
That's plan B.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

It is well-rusted yet still carries scores of trains a day. I don't think the bridge has been painted for decades.
On the other hand, the bridge steel dries out. It's only wet when it's rainings or there's a heavy dew.* If the bridge girders were wrapped with insulation that held moisture against the steel for long periods of time, I wonder if the deterioration would be much more severe.* Just speculation--- I know almost nothing about the properties and*use of steel in boats and ships.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

Plastic and wood hulls/interiors*burn real good.

Your right that steel hulls don't burn on the outside, it'a all the interior stuff that does.**A fire on any*boat sucks!

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Paz, BCS, MX*

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote