Reducing boat height by 5cm (two inches) by ballast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi,

my friend cruised the inland EU channels GB36 and solved this problem personally. he stopped at a local bub and asked a large group of people to his GB and under the bridge and people out of the boat. with the help he offered a small drink, often people just wanted to help without new service.

NBs

When the boat is weighed down fore or aft of the widest part of the beam, the boat will want to pivot there and lift the opposite end. This isn't a problem if the opposite end is short enough to clear the obstacle in question. I would put the weigh mostly around the beamy part of the boat and work out towards the ends.

Before going to all the trouble, I would verify the bridge heights. Most governments choose to be conservative on clearances to avoid lawsuits.

Ted
I am not sure where you are talking about but bridge air drafts are posted for a high tide. Going through at any other time will give you more air draft. Agree also that posted measurements tend to conservative.

Jeez, let's hope they are conservative. If not a wake from another boat or a full moon could damage your boat.

Back
Top Bottom