Red diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2savage

Vessel Name
Savage
Vessel Make
Seaton 50 expedition trawler
I'm moving up from a Ranger 29 tug (120 gallon diesel tanks) to an ocean crossing trawler with 1,900 gallon tanks. I haven't been too worried about paying $3 to $4 a gallon but when it's a thousand gallons we're talking about then bulk buying is worth looking into.

Where in NYC do commercial boats fill up? And what sort of price should I be looking at when I buy 1,000 gallons at a time?

I'm on the west coast so can't answer re NYC. I can give some generic answers.

1900 gal is not bulk for the commercial fuel suppliers. Tugs will take on 10s of thousands of gallons. And thier fill rate is much higher than yours will be. Some things for you to consider.

- Try to find a fuel dock that services the local fishing fleet. It will be a better fit for a yacht.

If you go to a big commercial facility, or even a big facility serving the fishing fleet.

- Understand a commercial dock is not likely to be an easy place to tie up to. High piers, creosote covered pilings, no surfaces for you fenders, large bollards etc.
- Confirm the commercial dock has the correct fittings.
- Know your max fill rate in gallons per hour. Let the fuel dock know.
- Consider making an appointment. This respects the value of the available dock space and their primary business of serving big commercial vessels.

I've had to wait for a yacht to dribble fuel in when I need to get fueled up and back to work. I've also been the yacht slowly taking on fuel while the work boats waited. It's no fun being on either side of that fence.

I am from NYC. Liberty Marina (near Ellis Island) has high speed diesel pumps, but not that much commercial traffic. It has easy access and a nice big/long gas dock that is protected from Hudson river wakes

There is a station in Port of Newark just 10-30 minutes south of the NYC in Jersey. Never filled up, so don't know much about it. (But its pure commercial guys).

A

On the West Coast, fueling where commercial fishing and small tugs go, often have discounts for various amounts of fuel (some starting as low as 100 gallons) and payment method.
Fuel at commercial docks is usually much cleaner than the average marina. Because of their volume the fuel additives are fresher, they have better filtering systems, and they maintain them. I've see marina fuel pumps with a filter dated 10 years previous.

Agree with all the advice given, and also have no specific suggestions for NYC.

I just filled in Seattle at the same place I’ve gone many times. Just as Lepke predicted, it’s tall fixed piers, no fenders, and difficult to get on and off the boat. An appointment is pretty much essential, and benefits everyone. I don’t know the exact break points, but I always tell them how much I expect to take and ask what the cash (check) price is for that quantity. We took about 2800 gal and the price was 2.49 plus sales tax. I think it’s close to $4 at the marinas. This particular place has a good selection of nozzles. We filled at 35 gpm which is pretty fast. Marina pumps are often below 20 gpm and that can make for a long day if you are taking on a lot.

One interesting thing. The fuel was not dyed. I think there much have been some rule change, perhaps because the pump in serves boats, and boats are all exempt from road taxes.

I took on fuel, for my N46, in NY. They had 2 or 3 add on taxes for boats. I should have chanced with the fuel on board (maybe 500 gallons) and found a state with fewer taxes.

You might consider a truck delivery at a random dock or perhaps a fuel barge.

Don't know if you are heading South, but this is where I will be filling up in a few weeks:

New River Marina
Sneads Ferry, NC
AIWW, New River
Mile Marker: MM 247.0
(910) 327-2106
newrivermarina@embarqmail.com

Comments:
Diesel Price: $2.347, tax not included (7.00%)

ValvTect: Diesel
Discounts: None
Last Update: 09/20/21

If that's too far south for you, try using the waterwayguide.com fuel price report:

https://www.waterwayguide.com/fuel-price-report/5?orderBy=name

Ted

Fuel

I wait until January or February to fill mine,only hold 500 gallons but this past winter i paid 1.90 a gallon at commercial fuel barge in Gloucester

I, too, am on the west coast and will go to a a commercial dock to save an extra $0.20 to $0.30 over the best prices available at the more recreational-boat-friendly fuel docks. I usually take on 1,500 to 2,000 gallons, but that is enough to get the best pricing from the commercial dock, where 1,000 gallons+ gets the best pricing. But it is a PIA not to have a nice dock to tie to. Last time I filled (almost a year ago), it was $2.17/gallon out the door.

A second for New River Marina. The grumpy guy retired last year. Usually best price on the AICW. Check Cruisers.net for prices

Last November when heading South, this was the price for off road diesel at New River Marina. They fuel a lot of commercial fishing vessels and sell fuel to farmers.

20201113_072458.jpg

Ted

A potential problem with New River is current, depending on arrival/departure time. We found it best to pay attention to that, first... but then didn't have problems after all. The nearby rocks were a bit daunting, though...

-Chris

At New River, sportfish slowed too late and his wake was one of the worst I have ever had.

Knocked me off my feet, popped the fenders out and broke out a chunk of teak coming.

Called him on the radio, he rattled off his address in Manteo, NC and refused to stop. Called the USCG and they had me try the Fish & Game.

Stopped there many times, even overnight with no issues and dirt cheap fuel, but as they say "it only takes once".

In our area we have fuel trucks that will come to your home or marina if they allow it. Not sure if it's legal, but I've heard of people using heating oil also.

I'm moving up from a Ranger 29 tug (120 gallon diesel tanks) to an ocean crossing trawler with 1,900 gallon tanks. I haven't been too worried about paying $3 to $4 a gallon but when it's a thousand gallons we're talking about then bulk buying is worth looking into.Where in NYC do commercial boats fill up? And what sort of price should I be looking at when I buy 1,000 gallons at a time?

If you needed 1500gal at one time, then maybe you could get a discount. But by buying red dye or home heating oil - you've already received your discount. Most pumps like the one's we use are 65gpm and most recreationals can't handle that higher pressure.

My last tug held 35 m2 of fuel and the current one 20 m2 fuel + 80 m2 LNG

Where ever you fuel ask about a ca$h discount.

also,

If you act like a delivery crew , rather than a boat owner , there may be a cash rebate.

Don't know if you are heading South, but this is where I will be filling up in a few weeks:

New River Marina
Sneads Ferry, NC
AIWW, New River
Mile Marker: MM 247.0
(910) 327-2106
newrivermarina@embarqmail.com

Comments:
Diesel Price: $2.347, tax not included (7.00%)

ValvTect: Diesel
Discounts: None
Last Update: 09/20/21

If that's too far south for you, try using the waterwayguide.com fuel price report:

https://www.waterwayguide.com/fuel-price-report/5?orderBy=name

Ted

Looking at a map, looks like there's three places to tie up for fuel. Marina area north of mkr 4, one smaller one south, and looks like a side tie abeam of some trailer. Where do you dock for fuel?

Thx

We tied up on the face dock right on the River (current is a thing), as I remember it just slightly south or west or whatever of the entrance into the small boat area.

-Chris

In our area we have fuel trucks that will come to your home or marina if they allow it. Not sure if it's legal, but I've heard of people using heating oil also.

Perfectly legal if they put the red dye in it. Same basic fuel but doesn't have the additives you might want. Back in the '60' s my dad was in the oil delivery business. Most of his farm customers had tanks for the tractors and home heating, same fuel went into both. No red dye back in those days. The tour boats I run all get fuel right off the delivery truck, same guys that deliver to the farmers. The trucks hold a couple thousand gallons and have about 100' of hose with a 1 1/2" nozzle. They can deliver anywhere their hose can reach, but there is a certification required if pumping over water. Many companies near water will have that. One of the boats I ran had to go to a different dock to fuel, their home dock was too long.

At home, we use fuel trucks 100% of the time. When cruising, we occasionally use commercial fuel docks but more often use Marinas, just find the most reasonable prices we can. At 1000 gallons, most marinas will negotiate depending on your payment method. They have all these discounts for Boat US and for this and that but ultimately they'll just discount for quantity. While 1000 gallons isn't quantity for a commercial dock and isn't for a megayacht marina necessarily, it is for most marinas. In fact, most start discounting much lower.

Here is Waterway Guide for the area you're questioning. While it's not cheap, the difference between $3.40 and $4.20 shown on that page is still substantial plus the $3.40 offers Tow Membership discounts of another $0.10.

After 6 months of fueling in Europe, it all looks good to me. $6.60 per gallon is the going rate after converting liters to gallons and euro to dollars.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom