Recreational Boating & the Green Movement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BD, its just an assumption. I see a lot more 30A peds than 50's in my cruising grounds, and those typically are on spaces for large boats.

But I could save the weight of anchor & chain because I can't recharge such large loads away from the dock, I'd never make it back!

Well you said to feel free to beat it up.

So, thinking about a new car - Tesla S - the other day, I checked out charging options. The nearest supercharger is about 25 miles away and costs about the equivalent of $8/gallon. To charge at home with 110V charges at the amazing rate of 4 miles per hour. Upgrading to a home fast charger (not sure what rate would be) requires using ( I think) 60amp from you breaker box - even with 400amps, not sure I would have enough spare.

So with technology so advanced for electric cars and most still mileage limited regardless of charge rate, it seems to me we are long way off having electric boats with supercharger pedestals at the marina.

In conclusion, I most likely just bought my last petrol engine car but do not expect I will have the option even in the next 5 years of adequately replacing it with an electric vehicle. It is all about charging capability and mileage.

Even more so for boats that really want to cruise versus hover within range of their dock.

Without getting bogged down in too many numbers and calculations, I will try to share a typical "real world" experience for charging my boat at the dock.

Scenario:
Most marinas in Europe with "basic" electricity supply: 220-230v shore power (16 Amp max available at the pedestal). Marinas handling large yachts have all manner of more exotic power supply options, but one can count on a minimum of 220-230v/16Amps.

I can arrive at a marina with an empty 48v 240AH propulsion battery (empty = 44volts), plug in and expect it to be fully charged (54.4v) within about 8 hours...without making the lights go dim at the marina ;-)

I have a limiter so I can draw less power while charging without blowing shore power circuit breakers, if necessary. For example, when 3 boats are trying to share a single pedestal outlet. Then the charging takes longer: 10-12 hours.

My point is simply this: I can expect to easily perform a complete recharge overnight at the marina while sleeping.

Last edited:
In 2019 only 23% of electricity was produced by coal, and that's declining quickly. Really not accurate to paint electric cars as running on coal. Knowledge still is power.
BD

True, but most are converting to natural gas.. less particulate emissions but still contributes to global warming.

HOLLYWOOD

Scott, can you say what your electric range at speed to the marina is? And what is the displacement of your vessel? Best regards.

Last edited:
I am open to all electric vehicles, maybe a dual engine Tesla.

What about the source of electricity to charge these vehicles?
BC has an abundance of hydro electric production now yet they are building another major dam for future expectations of current needs, not the needs if every garage was charging an electric vehicle.

So with brownouts down south being an annual event, where is this extra supply coming from for all these charging stations. Back to the nuclear power plants?

GM is doing what it has done well, marketing their product. Being first of the majors to set a target will get more gas vehicles sold to the green crowd as a result today, this year. It boils down to market share now and in the future.

Scott, can you say what your range at speed to the marina is? And what is the displacement of your vessel? Best regards.

Volume displacement = 5,700 Kg (12,500 pounds)

Loaded mass/weight = 6,800 Kg (15,000 pounds)

Max speed on electric, fully loaded for extended cruising, with 2 people and a cat, is ~5.5 knots. I can do this for max of about 90 minutes. This implies about an 8.25nm range. If not arriving at a marina at this point, I would switch to diesel, which would recharge the propulsion battery while running at ~7 knots in only 2-3 hours.

If I run 3.5-4.5 knots, however, I can extend my electric range to up to ~18nm.

The above numbers are enjoyed in "perfect" conditions (i.e. no significant wind or waves). Canals are nice ;-)

Interesting to note is that I can run 2.2 knots on solar power alone on a nice, sunny day. Not a very exciting speed, I admit, but nice to know that it can be done for "get home" situations if the diesel engine should happen to fail.

So, thinking about a new car - Tesla S - the other day, I checked out charging options. The nearest supercharger is about 25 miles away and costs about the equivalent of $8/gallon. To charge at home with 110V charges at the amazing rate of 4 miles per hour. Upgrading to a home fast charger (not sure what rate would be) requires using ( I think) 60amp from you breaker box - even with 400amps, not sure I would have enough spare.

So with technology so advanced for electric cars and most still mileage limited regardless of charge rate, it seems to me we are long way off having electric boats with supercharger pedestals at the marina.

In conclusion, I most likely just bought my last petrol engine car but do not expect I will have the option even in the next 5 years of adequately replacing it with an electric vehicle. It is all about charging capability and mileage.

Even more so for boats that really want to cruise versus hover within range of their dock.

I think your math is off , we have put 90a home chargers in 320a home panels on all electric homes, works great. Most quotes I see are that the supercharge network costs equivalent to 100mpg so I don't understand the $8 per gallon cost. A shows current quick search a $4.40 per gallon cost at 30mpg equivalent. In Washington our sub $.11 rate cuts that cost to less than half, around $ 2.00 equivalent.

I think the bigger issue is our aging electrical grid in the US. For at entire transportation industry to go electric the grid will need a complete overhaul. If the green types want to make a change they will go after the trucking industry. I cannot imagine our boats make more than a drop in a swimming pool vs the trucking industry.
Don't take my comments as anything negative about the electric industry, going all electric is a massive step with many facets that have to come into place to work.

HOLLYWOOD

Just because the new administration says we will be net zero (imposdible) by 2035 doesn't mean anything . Its GMs job to kiss the current administrations ass, just like they will kiss the next conservative administations and reverse their electric car plan.

Regardless, you should give up your current retirement plan and find something else to do that won't leave you guilt ridden during the final years of your life.

True, but most are converting to natural gas.. less particulate emissions but still contributes to global warming.

HOLLYWOOD
Of course, but that wasn't what he said and COAL (his emphasis) is used intentionally simply to create an image that electric cars are synonymous with burning a pile of coal. Which is simply not true.
BD

Scott,
Thanks for posting up real world numbers on your boat, very interesting.

I think: could a boat (hull) like my present boat be a practical candidate for conversion?
Your boat is expressly designed for low drag, is fantastic in that regard, beats the crap out of my hull form. Weighs in about 5000# less than mine at full load.

The hybrid approach makes sense in your boat, but not sure I would have room for diesel and e-motor (& many additional batteries). I have looked at a couple aftermarket drivetrains like that, so far is a bridge (or boat) too far for me.

The no engine noise part really appeals to me, that is of huge value to me. Like sailing without the sails.

I used to design stuff for automated guided vehicles and involved with other battery powered equipment/motorcycles, so I have an appreciation for what they can/can't do.

Maybe I will cross paths with a Greenline next summer up here, there are a few around. Solar panels on my boat work great, good use of a boat buck.

The normal use pattern for electric vehicles is to use them during the day and charge overnight. The Tesla owners I know (several) charge at night and are fully charged in the morning with no issues and no power capacity upgrades. Most other power use is greatly reduced at night so you charging with capacity that might otherwise go idle or unused in those off hours. Rates are lower at night for that reason.

The time shifting of power usage is why the grid capacity will be much less impacted with greater use of electric vehicles than over-simplified math might indicate.

I understand you're asking Scott, not me. I'm going to chime in anyway having some experience studying the use of hybrid diesel electric propulsion and deciding against it. I was tasked with helping decide if hybrid was a good propulsion system for an oceanographic research boat. Let me say up front I am not a design engineer, electrical engineer, naval engineer (with respect to design, not operation) or a naval architect. So I drew upon those experts to help decide. To do the calculation and devise a cost benefit decision matrix. Let me say also that this was almost 7 yrs ago and things advance quickly in this field.

First, how a hybrid performs well. And what it doesn't do well. Think Prius. The design's success is that it captures otherwise wasted energy. Dynamic regenerative braking being primary. It also uses a somewhat under powered fossil fuel power plant. It takes advantage of the fact that even that power plant is often not asked to output anywhere near it's full power. Further the system keeps the gas engine at optimal operating temperature to minimize tail pipe emissions, if the engine is asked to run just to keep itself warm, use it to recharge batteries. So when the gas engine is running excess power is being used to recharge the batteries. So the upshot is a Prius excels at urban driving. On the highway it is like Scott's boat. It quickly depletes the batteries and then runs on fossil fuels. In simple terms, the Prius concept is great at stop and go. Not so good on go without stopping.

How does that apply to boats? One of the remarkable sucess stories at the time, I belive it is still so, was Foss Towing's diesel electric tugs. They were an engineering marvel. But the design only works well for harbor assist tugs. A harbor assist tug spends a lot of time loitering waiting to assist a ship docking and un-docking. In loiter mode, or transiting light boat to it's next job it needs only enough HP to move or keep position. When pulling a ship off the dock or laying alongside the dock it needs LOTS of hp. They were designed with massive battery banks, huge electric propulsion engines and multiple gen sets. When loitering and running light if the batteries have sufficient charge they are all electric. If a little more power is needed or the batteries need to be charged more diesel gen sets come online. As much as is needed for the task at hand. When in ship assist mode and the capt calls for full power the batteries give full power to the electric propulsion motors while the full suite of diesel gensets spin up and come online. Of course it's more complex than that but that's the simple version.

Keep in mind this only works for ship assist tugs. Long haul tugs would barely get off the dock, their tows behind them and batteries would be depleted. Then it's all diesel to the destination or hand over.

re the oceanographic boat. It's the inverse of the harbor assist tug. A local research boat will charge from one research site to the next but spend most of it's time on station requiring minimal power. The thought was that a modest gen set capacity of multiple gen sets could be designed to work like a Prius in reverse. Without the dynamic regenerative braking. Make enough power between research stations to run the boat and recharge the batteries. On station, battery power alone. Quiet, clean, efficient was the dream. It didn't pan out. The interior volume required to house the batteries, controls, electric motors, multiple generators etc took up far more space than fuel tanks. Even if we were willing to sacrifice the space the cost payback was longer than the design life of the vessel.

So, one heck of a long winded post here. I'm sure with your back ground you'll understand what I'm saying. If you want an all electric boat or a diesel / electric hybrid then go for it. Not because it will save you $0.01 in operating costs. Not because it will increase your range. But because it interests you and you want to do it.

I'm interested in this concept. I'm also interested in cruising the remote areas of BC and Ak. All budgetary considerations aside I just don't think it will work for me. Scott talks about time to recharge at a dock so he can get the first few miles on electric. If I were hopping dock to dock with relatively short runs per day I might consider diesel electric hybrid. But I want to cover longer distances, anchor out at night. Be in a marina maybe 1 day in 10. If I were happy with what Codger2 is doing in his Duffy, and I may be in 10 years, I'd go all electric.

Ah, but this isn't all about me. It's about you and your boat. So, in my opinion, beyond your as yet not stated intended use of the boat, I don't think yours is a good candidate for conversion. She's a converted or adapted gill netter. Scott's is designed from the keel up to be a diesel electric hybrid. Until batteries and charging systems improve the boat has to be designed from the keel up and the intended use has to be suitable for diesel electric hybrid.

A couple more thoughts before I bore you and everyone else to tears. If Foss's diesel / electric hybrid tugs were a huge sucess there would be lots of them and in more fleets than Foss. But there aren't.

One idea I'm interested in following is all electric short haul. Think ferry. Charge across from one side to the other on batter. Slip in to the dock and plug in. While unloading and loading put some juice in the batteries. There would be a slow loss throughout the day but as the wee hours approach and time at dock increases or the boat even shuts down for the night?

Scott,
Thanks for posting up real world numbers on your boat, very interesting.

I think: could a boat (hull) like my present boat be a practical candidate for conversion?
Your boat is expressly designed for low drag, is fantastic in that regard, beats the crap out of my hull form. Weighs in about 5000# less than mine at full load.

The hybrid approach makes sense in your boat, but not sure I would have room for diesel and e-motor (& many additional batteries). I have looked at a couple aftermarket drivetrains like that, so far is a bridge (or boat) too far for me.

The no engine noise part really appeals to me, that is of huge value to me. Like sailing without the sails.

I used to design stuff for automated guided vehicles and involved with other battery powered equipment/motorcycles, so I have an appreciation for what they can/can't do.

Maybe I will cross paths with a Greenline next summer up here, there are a few around. Solar panels on my boat work great, good use of a boat buck.

"In 2019 only 23% of electricity was produced by coal, and that's declining quickly."

Most of the coal used is at night when the base load is low , and night is when most battery charging is done.

Especially if a TOD meter (time of day) is used to lower electric costs.

Should battery boats become more popular , un metered electric at the slip will depart even faster than it is.

Hi GoneFarrell,

I assume you have an electrical & mechanical background. BUT, unless you realize and accept the following, I wouldn’t undertake a project like the one you’re contemplating:
- The likelihood of success is very slim. How would you define success? They boat may move under electric power, but not very fast and not very far. Is that success for you?
- It will likely cost you a LOT, without adding anything to the resale value of your boat. In fact, it could well reduce the resale value of your boat. Greenlines or Prius, for that matter, can be difficult to sell for a good price if the batteries have been abused and/or the hybrid system has not been properly maintained.
- If you have two engines now, you would need to go for a double hybrid setup. This implies twice the cost, but not twice the speed or range.
- The end solution will be complicated to operate and maintain. Also a drag when it comes to resale.

I fully agree with Portage Bay. Go ahead with this project only because it’s something you want to tinker with. And also, with the understanding that you’ll need very deep pockets and that there is risk that it could wind up being a lot of money thrown out the window.

Portage Bay is also correct regarding the operating cost perspective. Do NOT go hybrid to save on operating costs. In the big picture, when considering costs of batteries, solar panels, etc., hybrid might possibly be even more expensive to operate than staying with diesel only. I like hybrid because I do enjoy the silence when I can get it. I also like hybrid because it allows me to have 230v house current all the time without having to run a generator. Finally, unlike what Portage Bay suggests, I sometimes try to run on Electric for the final miles of my day’s journey and not the first. Why? I would then arrive at the dock “empty” and plug in for the night. If I run the first few miles, when I run out of electric and start the diesel, a portion of that diesel fuel would be used for recharging the hybrid battery. While this works just fine, and it’s convenient, it comes with the inefficiency & loss associated with converting from one form of energy to another. Just physics. Furthermore, if the marina doesn’t meter electric separately (and most do not yet here in Europe), the overnight recharge is essentially free.

If you haven’t run across them already, you might find these TF links interesting, as they deal with others contemplating conversions…
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/left-turn-clide-going-hybrid-50144.html
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/star-lord-electric-trawler-conversion-44727.html

I wish you the best of luck in your research and decision making!

ScottC

Last edited:
Active into his late 80's? I guess your optimism is a little stronger than mine. "Things could significantly change in his lifetime"- so what? Of course things will significantly change in his lifetime, my question is what are you going to do about that today? Deny yourself a boat purchase because things could change? There is no option to consider today that reflects the possible realities of tomorrow. Live your life now and don't worry about this stuff. Tesla loses money on electric cars. Do you really think the boating industry is going electric within a timeframe that could significantly impact his decision today. What is he going to do, hold off? The technology does not exist and neither does the power grid to support it if it did, never mind that the business is not even economically feasible in cars let alone boats. This conversation would be better had in 5-10 years from now. Live for today, plan for tomorrow, and forget about something that is many years off and has no practical means of preparing for today. Could you imagine how much money Tesla would lose without Federal subsidies? Tesla had net income of 760 million, 1.6 billion of that was Federal credits. When the Feds step up for the yachting crowd this conversation changes, and even then only after the grid is capable and that is many years away. Every two years this football gets pushed forward and backward. Time to fix our political system first.

Good thought on "plan for tomorrow", but that's only half of the picture or perhaps maybe a whole lot less. What if you live a day after tomorrow? You need to plan for that.

And for the 62 year old..... it is statistically likely that he'll live well into his 90s, and could easily be very active into the high 80s. So, he must plan for the day after tomorrow, and things could significantly change in his remaining lifetime.

Active into his late 80's? I guess your optimism is a little stronger than mine. "Things could significantly change in his lifetime"- so what? Of course things will significantly change in his lifetime, my question is what are you going to do about that today? Deny yourself a boat purchase because things could change? There is no option to consider today that reflects the possible realities of tomorrow. Live your life now and don't worry about this stuff. Tesla loses money on electric cars. Do you really think the boating industry is going electric within a timeframe that could significantly impact his decision today. What is he going to do, hold off? The technology does not exist and neither does the power grid to support it if it did, never mind that the business is not even economically feasible in cars let alone boats. This conversation would be better had in 5-10 years from now. Live for today, plan for tomorrow, and forget about something that is many years off and has no practical means of preparing for today. Could you imagine how much money Tesla would lose without Federal subsidies? Tesla had net income of 760 million, 1.6 billion of that was Federal credits. When the Feds step up for the yachting crowd this conversation changes, and even then only after the grid is capable and that is many years away. Every two years this football gets pushed forward and backward. Time to fix our political system first.

Good point on Tesla but others are making money on hybrids and some on electrics. Tesla is so much about image and driving stock price and hasn't been a well run company. I have no belief that they've yet figured out how to run a company. It's so difficult getting beyond the ramblings of Musk and figuring out where they are or where they're headed on autos or other products.

I totally agree on not waiting for this or any technology. When they come, when they're proven, then great, but for recreational boats, they are far away from being practical for widespread use. It's like I have followed the Honda Fuel Cell model but nothing changes that I can see, it's still limited test market rental in a small area of California and to do that they feel they have to give you $15,000 worth of fuel and three weeks of luxury car rental.

In IT we call it vaporware. Promises long before they become concrete.

I think if everyone was forced to limit their dreams and goals to what is practical and currently achievable, we might still be driving around in horse drawn buggies.

Don't forget that Kennedy decided to go to the moon back when that was impossible, too.

Think the evolution will be in a different direction.
Glass reinforced plastic replaced by Al smelted in electric furnaces. Light, strong and unlike grp recyclable. Makes for a good cruising boat that requires a lot less energy to move.

Inefficient hulls replaced by narrow, very easily driven hulls. Even now using this design philosophy 58-65’ boats are being made/sold and crossing oceans with 80-110 hp Betas or the like. Coastal boats (both small fish boat/center console and coastal cruising) become primarily cats to gain efficiency. Huge difference in burn between fishing a small SeaCat with twin small Hondas and a Regulator with three 350s off the back. Been on both and actually preferred the SeaCat.

The SD boats we’ve looked at have 300-500hp. The FD 110-200hp. None have been maximized for efficacy as a main concern, Even with a very traditional brand like nordhavn the new 41 and 51 are dramatically more efficient than what they replace.
So think in all subdivisions recreational craft will become much more efficient. There will be different techniques to achieve that efficiency depending on mission but just like the evolution from Roadmaster to your current daily driver it will occur.

Think there’s even a possibility engines in cruising boats will be easily convertible to what ever fuel is available. Diesel, biodiesel, kerosene or even propane.

I think if everyone was forced to limit their dreams and goals to what is practical and currently achievable, we might still be driving around in horse drawn buggies.

Don't forget that Kennedy decided to go to the moon back when that was impossible, too.

I think it was Henry Ford who said something like: if all I did was build what people asked for I'd be building better horses.

Thanks for the comments and links you guys. The depth of know-how and practical points of view here continues to impress. Major part of why I hang out here.

I think my stone-ax reliable simple Isuzu DA 120 would have to seriously grenade before I'd consider E-conversion. I agree, my hull is just too draggy for existing battery banks & $$/effort involved to get decent electric range. I am blessed/cursed with knowing enough to be dangerous & blessed with experiences working on cutting edge "why not" stuff under a couple brilliant mentors.

I have seen a couple sailboat conversions to power that are appealing, but they don't have nice flybridge for cocktail hour or standup headroom below. Define the mission better, easier to shop or plan for "next boat."

Which in my interests may be a mini jet boat because it will go places trawler cannot. Win the lottery, I'm getting a gas turbine river racer with canards, blow the kid's inheritance away at 120 MPH!

And to the OP: I say pursue your dreams, don't put it off too long because tomorrow is promised to no one.

Last edited:
The first significant increase in electric boats will be done w boat and hulls very different that typical trawlers. They will be more like old sailboats. I say old sailboats because they have shorter WLL and are much more optimized for slower speeds and lower power requirements.

The notion of “converting” a trawler to electric power will be mostly pointless. The most popular electric boats now are still FG replica’s of old plum bow and fantail stern FD boats w nothing much on board except the heavy propulsion system.
Forum will follow function and the form of a “trawler” is almost totally inappropriate.

This is a good thread.

Book marked it for future scanning.
Lot’s has come out from under the rug. 17% of electrical power from coal. I thought it was considerably higher. But like everything about power it’s always liquid.

Just because the new administration says we will be net zero (imposdible) by 2035 doesn't mean anything . Its GMs job to kiss the current administrations ass, just like they will kiss the next conservative administations and reverse their electric car plan.

I think GM's decision has more to do with reading the tea leaves on future customer demands for electric cars and less about kissing anyone's a$$.

The current stumbling block on electric vehicles for the masses is cost (electric cars being more higher than gasoline cars) and the lack of a nationwide availability of quick charging stations. My guess is that GM likely foresees costs of electric cars coming down and availability of quick charge stations going up by 2035 and this is what is driving their business decision. They are not alone in this assumption, as I believe several of the other automotive companies have similar plans.

Regarding boating, I don't foresee a shortage of gasoline or diesel in the near future. I think demand for fuels will assure that there is a supply available. It may, however, not be at these crazy low prices that we currently see.

Jim

In 2019 only 23% of electricity was produced by coal, and that's declining quickly. Really not accurate to paint electric cars as running on coal. Knowledge still is power.
BD

Half truth. Most electricity come from fossil fuels not just coal

Half truth. Most electricity come from fossil fuels not just coal

This has already been addressed in a previous post (#41). I was responding to the intentionally dramaticized focus on coal that the poster claimed. It had nothing to do with claiming that electricity was mostly coming from renewables.

Last edited:
Just for the sake of argument, lets say GM is 100% internal combustion free by 2035. Lets take a giant leap of logic and assume the big boat manufacturers will be internal combustion free by, say 2050.

I have been boating all my life and have NEVER been able to afford a new boat, never will. So the new electric boats come along in 2050 and hit the used market within 5 or 10 years. Probably pretty logical so far, right?..

So... in 2055 or 2060 I might be ready and able to purchase a used electric boat. One problem though..I'll be be about 110 years old. I think the vast majority of readers of this thread are probably about my age right now. (70)

None of us will be buying a used electric boat.

Don't worry about it.

pete

Just shows there is a lot of misinformation on the internet - who would have guessed!! You are right the figure I quoted was from an article I read but is wrong. Tesla doe state that it is less expensive to (super) charge than use gasoline, though they are clearly biased - so let's call it a wash!

JLD wrote;
“and the lack of a nationwide availability of quick charging stations.”

There are no quick charging stations at all .. zero.

Not in terms of being anywhere near as quick as gasoline.
And face it ... gasoline is the standard .. what we’re used to.

"In 2019 only 23% of electricity was produced by coal, and that's declining quickly."

Most of the coal used is at night when the base load is low , and night is when most battery charging is done.

Especially if a TOD meter (time of day) is used to lower electric costs.

Should battery boats become more popular , un metered electric at the slip will depart even faster than it is.

In only one year that percentage has dropped to 13%! Goodbye and good riddance!
Is there a source for the amount of coal burned during the day vs. during the night?
There is only one area of growth in power generation and that is renewable.
Wind and solar power are the cheapest and fastest means of adding capacity.

And for the Tesla naysayers, please sell me your Tesla stock for what you paid for it.
What, you don't have any?!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom