Old 12-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #1

City: Vandiver, AL
Vessel Name: SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Model: 1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
Recommended “Loop Books” for wives?

I’m SO BLESSED that my wife has embraced with zeal the purchase of our trawler and the process of planning to do the Loop, hopefully starting next fall. The irony in our relationship is I might still not know bow from stern, we’re it not for my dating her in college and then marrying into her very nautical family. She would probably admit there are times She wishes they had never got me on a boat, because it lit a passion that has now been burning in me for over 40 years. We both agree our most “pointed discussions” have typically been about the “next last boat” 😀 I was trying to talk her into!
Sailors all those years (and still as I’m not giving that up completely as long as my health allows) , she never got over fears of being out of sight of land so coastal cruising and chartering was my only option. I plan to get my bucket list desire to cross an ocean by booking passage on one of the commercial sailing vessels that offer that option.

All this to point out how excited I am to see her as into this “loop thing” as I am. Not by design but probably good it worked out this way, each of us has found our respective sources for trawler cruising education and entertainment material Given this is one of my sources, I want to ask if there is are any books any of you are aware of that I should get her?
Capt. Rodbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Have you joined the Great Loop Organization? I find most cruising books too far off the mark or written by people with either a lot of experience and hardened opinions or people with little experience but not bad writers so they make money publshing.

Plus by the time you are reading them...other than for the "story"...details are years old (like cruising guides)...they have valuable general info...but blogs and current threads can be more up to date.

Even just reading threads in various forums that follow segments of all the loops are sometimes pretty amazing in depth and quality

Blogs are often better than the books IMHO and can be found in lots of places.

America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association (AGLCA)

https://greatloop.org/page/JoinUs
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
A good overview is Capt Joh's The Loopers Companion Guide. It's got some good information, and a day-by-day sample itinerary. He's also got a web site and wrote another book (a narrative, not a guide) called Once Around is Not Enough. It was popular, so I'm sure it's good, although I haven't read it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:12 PM   #4

City: Vandiver, AL
Vessel Name: SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Model: 1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
Thanks to each of you! Regarding the Great Loop Association yes we joined a couple of months ago. We also each do a couple of blogs but a blog is there something I can “give her” like a book would me.
Capt. Rodbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:13 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Are you looking for something that is "present" like? Or just info?

There are a few photo heavy, almost coffee table type books.

I believe a member here that just joined or started posting has one out. If I can remember who eventually, I will post.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Oak Brook
Vessel Name: Hygge
Vessel Model: Ranger Tug 29S
Tell your wife, if this lady can do it solo, you can easily to it as a couple: https://www.amazon.com/Crossing-Wake...25252936&psc=1
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:44 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The Stobs started the AGLCA and wrote a book about their experiences. They had not been boaters before doing the Loop. The book was called something like Honey We Bought A Boat???
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:03 PM   #8
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Rodbone View Post
...is there something I can “give her” like a book...

Those two titles I listed above are books. There is also a web site I linked to, but frankly it's not all that informative.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:58 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: What is the difference between a loop boat for wives and a loop boat for husbands and a loop boat for unwed people?

So confusing, so I'll just list some loop boats I know and since I'm a wife and read them and don't know that it was illegal or anything....

The Captain's Log (Diamond Lil Does the Loop)

Great Loop Cruising Two on a Trawler

Reflection on America's Great Loop: A Baby Boomer Couple's Year-Long Boating Odyssey

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote