Old 08-05-2020, 11:48 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
An inverter -- assuming sufficient battery capacity -- could have been an easy solution for that. Solves heating hors d' oeuvres at Happy Hour, too.

We found it useful to often run the genset for dinner anyway, not just to cook but also to heat water, charge batteries, etc.

-Chris
Some boats, especially newer ones, have gensets that are way less annoying than those on older boats.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:01 AM   #22

City: St Augustine
Vessel Name: Agape
Vessel Model: Californian 45
"Some boats, especially newer ones, have gensets that are way less annoying than those on older boats."
I find my genset annoying can't imagine any boat near me finds it any better.
We have four 11lbs tanks. Two on port side and two on starboard side. Both lockers are up top and outside the superstructure. See pic.
Port side supplies top side grill and starboard side the stove/range in the galley. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200806_065817.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	105938Click image for larger version

Name:	20200806_065941.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	105939
Pmcsurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:05 AM   #23

City: St Augustine
Vessel Name: Agape
Vessel Model: Californian 45
Forgot to mention. We tossed the electric coffee maker and the microwave. In place of the microwave we put in an ice maker and we make coffee with a French press method.
Don't even miss microwave and now our inverter has nothing to do but charge our phones.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200806_070024.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	105940
Pmcsurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:13 AM   #24
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmcsurf1 View Post
Forgot to mention. We tossed the electric coffee maker and the microwave. In place of the microwave we put in an ice maker and we make coffee with a French press method.
Don't even miss microwave and now our inverter has nothing to do but charge our phones.Attachment 105940

We have that exact gas stove - came with the boat. I had to re-do the gas system to bring it up to par. They did have a ‘home run’ copper line running from stove to the tank location, so I was able to run that line into my new locker. Installed remote cut-off and propane sniffer[emoji106]. We love cooking with gas.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #25
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
There are !any choices in 110VAC induction cooktops, Kenyon, Summit, True Induction, Empava. A simple Google query will get you started. The old style coil burners are far, far inferior to induction. Induction heats far more quickly than coil electric or propane. However, if I had a propane boat I woul not replace with induction. I would be happy with either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I am interested in your induction stove top. What brand and model do you have?
What is the amperage draw? What voltage?
What do you do for an oven? Brand and model and amperage draw. What voltage?
I looked at their site and no mention of an induction cook top for RV/Marine usage which leads me to believe, all the cook tops are 240vt. That pretty much lets me out. I think with my 8kw generator, for me it is back to 120vt stove/oven. Ah, forgot. The AT34 are 30 amp boats.
Thanks!!
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #26
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
On the genset thing, mine is a bit loud in the boat due to not having much sound insulation. Nothing terrible for the typical 45 - 60 minute run for cooking and such. But from outside, it's very quiet. If you're within 20 feet of the boat you can hear a little noise through the hull sides and a slight hint of exhaust noise. Further than that, all you can hear is water pouring out of the exhaust (it's not overly splashy, almost a steady stream). If I'm sitting on the aft deck, I have to really pay attention to notice it running.

On the stove thing, as much as gas stoves are nice and induction is far better than a coil electric setup, the coil electric stove on my boat is probably the best non-induction electric stove I've used. It's a bit underpowered for boiling water and such, but that's likely why the burners cycling doesn't cause excessive temperature change like some stoves. The temperature control for simmering and such is at least as good as the mediocre gas stove I have at home.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:24 AM   #27
Guru

City: gulf coast
110 V electric is usually limited to 1500 Watts. Similar to any electric frying pan. Your wife probably hates the slow heat up and low heat of the present stove. Check the wattage of the burners on a new stove unfortunately they are still limited to 1500 watts so there wont be a difference with new. You may need to rewire to 220V.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #28
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
110 V electric is usually limited to 1500 Watts. Similar to any electric frying pan. Your wife probably hates the slow heat up and low heat of the present stove. Check the wattage of the burners on a new stove unfortunately they are still limited to 1500 watts so there wont be a difference with new. You may need to rewire to 220V.
Agreed on the low power with 120v stuff. Some 120v induction stoves will go a bit higher (up to 1800 watts or so per burner), but coil electric is typically less. My 3 burner coil electric is only 1100w per burner (stove can run all 3 burners on a 30A breaker).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #29
Guru

City: gulf coast
Over the years I have had alcohol gas and electric stoves on boats. gas is far the best but it needs venting and can cause combustion produces in the cabin air. I settled on electric as I never run out of fuel in remote places
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:58 AM   #30
FF
Guru

When converting our Navy launch we selected a sailboat gimboled range .Hiller

As we much prefer the hook to the dock zoo, the chance of a big upsetting wake always exists.

With fiddles the cook has the best chance of not being scalded , when a big one goes by.

We hooked the gas valve to a 2 hour mechanical timer and a red light as well as a sniffer.

We also ran the single propane hose from tanks to range inside a discarded hyd hose to give it more protection inside a locker.

If you enjoy the silence of coffee in the am with out a noisemaker , contemplate a propane reefer , ice cream all month long for a bottle of propane .

No dead batts , no oil changes , nothing to service , and SILENCE 24/7!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #31
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Our boat has a dedicated 20-amp circuit that supports 1,800 watts. We installed an 1,800 watt induction cooktop which we very much like. Boils water quickly but still can simmer at lower power levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #32
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdavi View Post
Have a force 10 3 burner gas range with oven. No issues and works well.
Same here. A drop-in replacement for Princess and works fine. No regrets. Sure Marine in Seattle sells Force 10.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:39 PM   #33

City: Punta Gorda
We replaced our old Princess with a glass surface unit and purchased a combination microwave/convection oven for baking. Husband built a cabinet with lots of storage where the old Princess sat.
amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #34

City: Essington, PA.
Vessel Name: Nepidae
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
There was just some discussion recently on the AGLCA forum about gas (propane).

Seems that there isn't any verifiable info that links issues with gas anymore than anything else on a boat and there is justifiable evidence that most boat fires are electical in nature.

I believe that the propane will provide more capability for longer hook, wall stays where we are cutting our electrical requirements to a minimum.

That said, I am going to be installing a fuel cell (propane fuel source) as my generator, probably next yr. A company called Watt in PA is working to bring 1 to market. At that point, since I will need gas for it, I will add a gas cooking stove.

Our '86 Albin has wells under the bridge cowling and a copper pipe there which goes to the galley. I'll branch off of that to the ER below and have both items fed by the propane on the bridge.

We have 6-L16 6V AGM batts with 1200Ah (650usable) that historically, while still on the Loop we can get 2 days from. 660W of solar just went on (3-220W Xantrex flex panels) to flesh out the battery power. A 3000W Xantrex charger/inverter rounds out our on the hook power (not mentioning engine charging here).

About all that will be left is our coffee maker. We should be able to handle that.
m/v Nepidae, Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #35

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
Our inductive top is terrible :(

Not sure if the picture will post but our Princess expensive inductive stop top isn't great. It is either 'on' or 'off'. On high it stays on and on low it comes on 'high' for a few seconds and then turns off.

BUT, I was recently up the river in a very hot local and I appreciated how little heat it generated in the saloon.

I just put in that Corian counter and sink (made the trim out of salvaged teak planks) and I wanted to switch to gas. The storage issue has put a hold on that switch till I make some nice drawers under the aft cabin bed for pots, pans and extra dishes.

We also have a toaster oven (they seem to only last a year no matter how nice or expensive they are) and that works for pizzas and even baking fish or whatever will fit in it.

On the dock we have an undercounter water heater that dispenses triple filtered water (a three stage undercounter set up) either cold or hot that is about 200f.

Long story a little less long - we haven't missed the oven as much as we thought we would. We use the the instant hot water constantly we it is available. Like a lot of folks we have to run our genny a few times a day to keep the fridge and freezer within a tolerable range and that usually prompts to make snacks so it works out.

If the ambient heat is no issue I would go for propane any day of the week.
Attached Thumbnails
20200807_194009.jpg  
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #36

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
Filtered water dispenser for coffee

If it wasn't for that little insinkerator water heater we would have gas by now.
Attached Thumbnails
20200807_175807.jpg  
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #37
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Anyone try one of those “As seen on TV” ovens?
Old 08-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis / Ft Myers
Vessel Name: Myrtea / Harbor Quest
Vessel Model: CL Bermuda 30, Egg 40
An experience to share which required minimal carpentry and electrical work.

I replaced a 120VAC stove/oven with an induction cooktop and "toaster oven" about two years ago to the admiral's total satisfaction.

The 120VAC cooktop was a drop in unit manufactured by "True Induction" which did require a slightly larger cutout than the original Princess and is very close to your dimensions. The outside dimension was only slightly larger than the hole and provides a smooth and easy to clean transition to the counter top. It does NOT have fiddles, but provides enough room for two 12" pots. When you turn it off it goes cold with the only remaining heat coming from the pan.

The toaster oven did require the addition of a shelf below the cooktop. It is large enough to roast a 6lb chicken, full size brownie pan or six pieces of toast. It is efficient, easy to clean and has digital controls.

There was room below the oven for an additional storage shelf.

I did run an additional 120VAC circuit so both units could be used at the same time at full output. Safe and simple. Total cost under $600 plus 1/2 day of work
CaptRowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Darlin
Vessel Model: OA43 Tri Cabin
I use propane. Most folks like the Force 10 stoves but I find the Princess more reliable. Propane cooking is the best. I recommend standard 5# propane tanks. Easily filled and swapped when they get cruddy. A swap fill is sometimes all that is available in many locations. One tank will last a month if only used for cooking. Electronic sniffer should ally any use concerns. My Princess will heat oven to 500*. Great for pizza. I have a Force 10 on my powerboat in Mexico. The oven is weak and the broiler crapped out years ago. Also the igniter failed ( yes, I replaced the battery).
Darlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #40
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
I have a little induction burner on my C-Dory that I love. Pro "pain" on my trawler that I don't like. In order to stop the windows from fogging in the PNW I open one just enough that it won't blow out the flame, but it definitely makes it way slower than the induction. Can't wait to pull out the Magic Chef 3 burner with oven and replace with an inset countertop 2 burner induction.

I have never used all three burners at once and can't imagine a situation where three are needed. It seems to me that it is one of those things intended to appeal to the "want my boat just like my home" folks.

Even though the induction burner isn't that expensive, it needs a pure sine wave inverter that can handle 1800 watts. Those cost more than the burner and is frustrating because I already have a 3K watt modified sine inverter onboard. The second issue is the loss of an oven. We tend to bake bread on long cruises. My untried idea would be to use an induction hob under a folding Coleman oven. Probably way too "backpacker" for a yacht, but ours is just a cruising boat. The galley space for the oven, even though we use it, could be put to better use.

One of the issues with an induction cooktop is the smooth surface. Although building fiddles is possible, I have used a silicone hot pad and coasters on top of the induction burner on my small boat. They don't seem to slow down the induction and make a coffee pot stick to the burner. A big silicone baking mat would even keep the hob and camp stove in place.

I haven't had much issue with battery usage. Induction is freaky fast.