Recognize this propane sniffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldenDawn

Vessel Name
Golden Dawn
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
I am hoping that someone will know the manufacturer of this propane sniffer. It was installed by the previous owner and I have no information on it. I can't find a name on it - just the bizarre logo above "Electronic Systems". The switch below controls the solenoid shut-off valve in the propane system.

Attachments

• GasSniffer.jpg
    GasSniffer.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 20
Electro Systems were a Victoria BC company of many years ago, it is my understand that they are no longer in business. Hope mine keeps working for another 30+ years.......:thumb:

Frosty, Roche Pt, and Soo-Valley - Thanks! That gets me started. I am embarrassed to say that I have owned the boat 10 years and did not pay much attention to this. Then the propane solenoid got stuck the other day (a little tap got it going) and I started exploring - realized I did not have a spare or a manual.

Thanks again - this is a great help.

Last edited:
All you need then is a new generic 12 volt propane shutoff solenoid. We replaced our a few years back, the Electro System controller works great with the new solenoid........:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
All you need then is a new 12 volt propane shutoff solenoid. We replaced our a few years back, the Electro System controller works great with the new solenoid........:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Yes working on that. I also have to hunt for the sniffer part by chasing cables. Is it most likely in the propane locker or below the stove?

Another boat mystery.

BTW - we cruise a lot with one of your sister ships: "Rain Coast Gypsy"

Last edited:
Mine sensor is below the stove with the shutoff solenoid right next to the tank in the propane line.

I know hone/RV alarms have a limited life on the sniffing.

30 years old might be time to test the unit with a quick shot to see if it actually still functions.

I know hone/RV alarms have a limited life on the sniffing.

30 years old might be time to test the unit with a quick shot to see if it actually still functions.

Agreed. All of the marine gas / propane fume detectors I've seen have a limited lifespan. But if it alarms when you hold an un-lit butane lighter to it and doesn't give false alarms, it's good to go. When it starts giving false alarms or fails the lighter test, it's time for a new one.

another great vote for Electro systems controller.

Only trouble with the system as others have said is the shutoff solenoid, easily replaced.

With a bit of looking you can get replacement sensors that are plug and play.

I think I get around 7-8 seasons out of the sensors

The flow of propane keeps the solenoid cool. If you shut off your stove and leave the propane on it will overheat and shorten the lifespan of the solenoid, considerably. Try touching it to see how hot it gets.

I put a red indicator light over the stove as a reminder.

Thanks for the pointers. I will hunt for the sniffer and test with butane.

I am presently searching for the solenoid. I have a Parker NM22-0501-G952, which I believe is widely available. Need to have a spare on board for the up coast cruising.

Thanks again for the many tips.

Attachments

• Solenoid1.jpg
    Solenoid1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom