Recliners for salon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"After a few years of a good imitation of leather, the onion skin thick outer layer is coming off in sheets, making the whole so ugly that I wouldn't be able to give it away."

Sheepskin covering on the arm rest , might be a simple save.

+1 on the Ikea Poang chairs. We removed a heavy sleeper sofa on wheels and replaced with a couple of the Poangs.

Since we have twin engines right under the salon sole, everything in the salon has to move before accessing the engines. Moving that sofa was getting very old!

I can pick up the Poang chairs with one hand if I need to, so they are very easy to move with two. One of the best changes we have made so far.

Strategically, do you want to sit alone or snuggle with your honey? I do not understand the attraction to solo seating. I was able to fit a Pallister leather sofa into the salon, selecting a model sized to take up a smaller footprint. Ottomans double as additional seating when needed, else they provide a reclining experience. For smaller spaces Pallister also has, aptly named, love seats. My Admiral always wants to spend time on our Love Boat…
sofa picture

Give it time young man. You will come to appreciate and see the attraction of solo seating. Berkshire or Lazboy make/made a "wallaway" recliner. The unique feature was it slides forward as you recline. Therefore it can sit a couple of inches from the wall/bulkhead instead of the foot or so with other recliners. I had a couple in an RV. Personally I do not use the reclining feature much. Not a lot going on on the overhead to watch. The pop out foot/leg rest is what mainly attracts me.

Another Krogen we visited had Stressless. They were awesome, can be purchased in different sizes and cost a fortune. I wasn't allowed to buy one.

Our boat came with two of the Ekornes Stressless chairs--otherwise we too would not own them! I highly recommend. It's the first chair I've ever fallen asleep in--I'm only 55! I've been told that Scan Design in Lynnwood WA has them in stock.

Search for a 'zero clearance' recliner.

Based upon my experience with my recliner at home, if I had a nice recliner on my boat, I'd never have to change the sheets on the bed. I have what I call, an "evil recliner." I hear it calling my name during the day, I get comfortable in my "evil recliner", without warning, I fall asleep and wake 4-5 hours later. I dont care if I have company on board or not. That 'evil recliner' sucks the "awake" out of me.

Hi, We put 2 Lazy-Boy wall hugger recliners on the Celestial. I was afraid they might mildew as we did not keep the HVAC on, except when we were onboard. They never did. We loved them. I agree - easy to fall asleep in them. The deciding factors for the Lazy-Boy recliners were that the backs came off, making it easy to put them onboard, and that we could get the cover material in the color/material that we liked. Highly recommend them.

I bought my Stressless chair on Craigslist and love it! Being a smaller/shorter person, it is nice to have a chair that "fits". Keep your eye out on Craigslist, they come up periodically.

We have the Ekornes Stressless chairs on the trawler and at home. There's no substitute for the genuine Ekornes. I have back problems and this is the only chair that I am able to find comfortable seating.

I had a small RV recliner on my trawler, no room on current boat. But I also have 4 Poangs at home - good fit for me, not for my wife. And the Neato botvac hangs up on the base. Anyway, this thread motivated me to look at Ekornes with my wife this weekend - she loved the small. I was happy with either medium or large, but wanted to live with one before buying a couple new. So found a vintage one on CL for $250, spent a half hour cleaning and conditioning it - and much of yesterday sitting in it. I already gave away two of the Poangs - it’s that good.

So, after much looking, we settled on a pair of these Mac Motion recliners for the saloon. At 29.5” wide they’re not the overstuffed behemoths popular these days and are a good fit in the space we have. They’re very comfortable, featuring memory foam and top grade leather on all surfaces except the back. The pillow flips over the back and out of the way when you don’t need it—a nice idea. I do wish they had fold-out leg support but the ottomans are small enough to store away when not needed. At a street price of about $800 each, they occupy a niche between the very high-dollar Stressless types and the many faux-leather knock-offs. I’ll post a picture in a month or so when they’re installed.

Attachments

• 317BB6FA-1B0F-4EB5-8CFB-3C1ADC522C9A.jpeg
    317BB6FA-1B0F-4EB5-8CFB-3C1ADC522C9A.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 70
So, after much looking, we settled on a pair of these Mac Motion recliners for the saloon. At 29.5” wide they’re not the overstuffed behemoths popular these days and are a good fit in the space we have. They’re very comfortable, featuring memory foam and top grade leather on all surfaces except the back. The pillow flips over the back and out of the way when you don’t need it—a nice idea. I do wish they had fold-out leg support but the ottomans are small enough to store away when not needed. At a street price of about $800 each, they occupy a niche between the very high-dollar Stressless types and the many faux-leather knock-offs. I’ll post a picture in a month or so when they’re installed.

I'd need a tip out for these chairs. My solution is, go down, turn the TV on, get into bed and take a real nap.

Our 2002 Gozzard came with a pair of swivel, reclining chairs from Sears Roebuck that Gozzard nicely re-covered.
They’re holding up well but it’s time to update.

Ronbo

Another Krogen we visited had Stressless. They were awesome, can be purchased in different sizes and cost a fortune. I wasn't allowed to buy one.

Yep, I was told that there was no way in hell I was getting a $3,000 chair for my boat.

Ended up buying something very similar to the stressless ones at a local furniture store for something in the $1300 range.

Have had it for several yeasr, looks and works great!

This is our custom made sofa on ASD. PO had it installed. The arm also is made to double as a helm seat, although I don't use it. There is also storage space under the cushions where I store my tools. This couch is in two pieces.

We are looking at having it re upholstered and was shocked at the price. $2300!!

I wanted to replace them with chairs, but the Admiral has over rode and vetoed that idea. So this winter they will be taken in and done.

Attachments

• IMG_4107.jpg
    IMG_4107.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 82
I just replaced my old L-shaped couch with a hide-a-bed couch and wall hugger powered recliner. I ordered online from www.recpro.com. They cater to the RV industry so much of their collection is space conscious and supposedly lightweight (and is designed to fit through small openings). The set has only been in place for a couple weeks and I haven't really used it yet, but happy so far.

Attachments

• IMG_4725.jpg
    IMG_4725.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 67
I visited , they have a showroom and higher end stuff, but they are a long way from SF.

I had a dock neighbor couple with Glastop couches in the saloon. They loved them.

Since this thread is revived, I see I promised to post a picture of the Mac Motion recliners we installed. We usually store the ottomans below when not using them.

Attachments

• 20F3CC3F-9946-4495-AB80-B9A335C43774.jpg
    20F3CC3F-9946-4495-AB80-B9A335C43774.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 63
  • E6ABA7C6-B5AB-4ED5-8F0C-D2AB441AB0A8.jpg
    E6ABA7C6-B5AB-4ED5-8F0C-D2AB441AB0A8.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 64
We have Stressless at home and agree they are #1
Couldn't justify them for boat and motorhome but have found Benchmaster a good second choice. Have bought 3 for boat & motirhome.
See Bacchus website projects area for "furniture upgrade" which includes pics and source info. Very pleased for about $600 delivered.
https://dkloeber.wixsite.com/bacchus/project-pg-4

Glastop sounds like they’re on the right track, that recliner on the home page is only 27” wide! Now if they would just tell us how much it weighs.....

Don't have the weight but purchased two of the 27” recliners for our NP 45. The team upgraded to a ultra leather they didn’t have “pro Parfait” for free. 4-6 weeks. They were $870 each plus the very long drive to SFO from FL.

Received and installed recliners from Glastop. About 60 lbs each. Very nice and they will use any fabric. I used ultra leather. Very comfy and recline partially, ( zero clearance) or pull from the wall and they recline almost flat. You could sleep on them.

Attachments

• 93416328-6BC3-4C20-8377-7B2C7CC07C80.jpeg
    93416328-6BC3-4C20-8377-7B2C7CC07C80.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 250
Not recliners, but we love these two leather chairs that come with our boat - we did purchase the sofa.Saloon.jpg

Back
Top Bottom