Recent Fuel News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edelweiss

Guru
Vessel Make
1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Now here is a piece of Good News for a change. . . . maybe I will wait a little bit longer to top those fuel tanks off!! :whistling:

NBC News staff and wire reports
6 hours ago

Rainier Ehrhardt / AP file
Vehicles are reflected in a sign advertising unleaded gas at a QuikTrip station in Greenville, S.C. on July 1, 2013. Average gas prices have fallen 6 cents per gallon in the past two weeks, but are still above the $3 level they have been since 2010.

Remember $3 gas? Well the price is headed down and might get back to that level again after more than three years.
The average price for a gallon of gasoline in the United States fell 6.4 cents in the last two weeks, as crude oil declined and refiners passed on the difference to motorists.

Some industry experts believe the price could keep falling, even below $3 per gallon for the first time in three years.
According to the latest Lundberg survey, the average price was about 31 cents lower than a year ago, based on the Sept. 20 survey of some 2,500 retail stations in the 48 contiguous states.

I purchased regular for $2.96 in HOU last weekend at Krogers. More common price was $3.10 at area sack & packs. Hwy diesel is $3.61 to $3.99.

Paid $4.06 per gallon yesterday to fuel my gasoline-engined Explorer SUV. Recent news projects California fuel costs might drop forty cents or more no later than Halloween.

No price drops around here, still paying about $1.23 liter for either gas or diesel (approx. $4.85 gal). $3.00 would be great but not holding my breath.

Forgot to mention, that is at the pumps, at the marinas it is at least an additional 40 cents. $1.67 at our marina, about $6.70 gal.

Mark, I think you're paying higher Bay area prices. We recently have purchased regular gasoline at Costco at prices ranging from $3.59 to $3.79 per gallon. The higher price was paid at the Vallejo Costco; lowest at a Costco near Sacramento.

COSTCO here in Burlington has been sitting at $3.59 for weeks. Today it was $3.49 lowest it's been in quite a while!!

PS. Gasbuddy.com shows that many areas from Texas through the gulf states and southeast are at or below the $3.00 per gallon level.

Last edited:
$3.63 for diesel at the diesel barge in Gloucester. MA two weeks ago.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of "big box" retailers. I support local retailers. Even if it hurts my pocketbook a little bit.

I'll get happy when it's under a dollar again!!! Well, I guess I'll settle for $1.75., since a constrictor has us. It wasn't all that long ago either. I bought a Ramcharger 4x4 in Seattle in 02, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg to drive it back to Miami. When I sold it to a guy in 2012, I didn't even want him to tell me what it cost him to drive her to new home in Texas. Premium (which it's 400hp engine required) was running $4.40 at Costco.

Last edited:
Costco here is $3.51. That's the cheapest in our area. Highest prices in our area for regular s $4.09.

I find it hard to believe those ripoff stations are still in business. That's $.58/gallon more. Outrageous.

Costco here is $3.51. That's the cheapest in our area. Highest prices in our area for regular s $4.09.

I find it hard to believe those ripoff stations are still in business. That's $.58/gallon more. Outrageous.

In my neighborhood, one will sit in line for some time waiting in line to get such (usually much less) savings. My time is usually more valuable. Nor am I willing to travel (use up fuel) fifty miles to save 10, 20, or so cents per gallon.

I bet gas prices below $3.00 per gallon would go a long way to improving the economy.

Pilothouse King, another Miami guy! It gets lonesome here on the east coast having to listen to all these wrong coast guys. Especially Mark. Did you know he put a sail on a perfectly good trawler? Where do these wrong coast guys come up with these ideas?

... It gets lonesome here on the east coast having to listen to all these wrong coast guys. Especially Mark. Did you know he put a sail on a perfectly good trawler? Where do these wrong coast guys come up with these ideas?

The geography and weather here, all year-round, is close to heaven.

img_180658_0_36b629df1f40d5dd5c2816882c464e05.jpg

Last edited:
I bet gas prices below $3.00 per gallon would go a long way to improving the economy.

Pilothouse King, another Miami guy! It gets lonesome here on the east coast having to listen to all these wrong coast guys. Especially Mark. Did you know he put a sail on a perfectly good trawler? Where do these wrong coast guys come up with these ideas?

PULLLEEEEAAAASE, HC!! We prefer "Left Coast" guys!

In my neighborhood, one will sit in line for some time waiting in line to get such (usually much less) savings. My time is usually more valuable. Nor am I willing to travel (use up fuel) fifty miles to save 10, 20, or so cents per gallon.
Mark, first of all I'm retired (some might say "retarded") so my time is generally plentiful and free. The local Costco is near my MIL's residence, near most of the major shopping in the area and about 10 miles from home. I wouldn't make a special trip there just to buy gas, but we're in "The Co" about once a week for one reason or another and that's when we fill up the cars. Wait times are generally 5-10 minutes and we used that time to fine tune our Costco shopping list.

On a related note, I'm glad you don't like the Big Box stores. I wish there were thousands more with that attitude because the lines would be shorter. :socool: Obviously there's a reason why the parking lot at "The Co" is always full. Might have something to do with their competitive pricing on the goods they carry. :thumb:

GFC, my "wholesale" price is $200 an hour, even though my life-style/income doesn't reflect it.

:iagree:!! But Shush... :censored: Don't let everyone know. :facepalm:

I'm not worried. Taxes and living costs are much more attractive elsewhere.

... Especially Mark. Did you know he put a sail on a perfectly good trawler? Where do these wrong coast guys come up with these ideas?

Sails are "cool."

232323232%7Ffp54367%3Enu%3D394%3A%3E7%3A9%3E559%3E2%3A3%3B7%3A964%3A245ot1lsi

With crude oil unlikely to ever fall below $100 barrel again, I wouldn't expect gasoline prices to stay low.
$4/gallon is pretty cheap guys, for something that took several hundred million years to make. I expect the price of crude oil to double every 10 years for the next century.
Appreciate the low prices while you can.

The geography and weather here, all year-round, is close to heaven.

img_180714_0_36b629df1f40d5dd5c2816882c464e05.jpg

We in the South know what Heaven looks like. It looks like Daytona Beach. Of course, you have to go through Atlanta to get there.:D

While I respect Mark's opinion of big-box stores, I have a different perspective.

Part of the reason we pay the outrageous prices GFC mentions is because we are WILLING to do so. I've seen two gas stations on opposite corners, one charging 10 cents more per gallon. And there are always cars at their pumps!

If enough people can't even be bothered to go a few feet out of their way to reward the merchant who is keeping his prices low, then why would anyone bother?

People vote with their wallets.

Just on principle, I always vote for the merchant who tries to keep the price down. Even if it only saves me a dollar at a time.

Even though I see dropping prices at the pump...they are still above what they were last December-Mar at the gas docks...the cheapest places along the Atlantic ICW are still 30cents or so higher than 8 months ago.

I just put in new fuel tanks on the boat so I have been buying a few gallons to calibrate my tanks...in 5 gallons at a time. I bought 3-5 gal jugs at my favorite gas station...off-road diesel is 3.49 where the fuel dock is 3.99.....so I just bought 15 more gal to get the one tank 3/4 full and calibrated...at $0.50/gallon difference, especially if the land station drops in the next few months...I just may continue the process and chalk it up to "calibrating".:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_5139.jpg
    IMG_5139.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5209.jpg
    IMG_5209.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5198.jpg
    IMG_5198.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5152.jpg
    IMG_5152.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 78
  • SeaHorse Port.jpg
    SeaHorse Port.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC07060.jpg
    DSC07060.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
NASCAR, motorcycles, beach you can drive on, open air bars, babes, and the ICW. Where else but Daytona Beach. You guys need to get your head out of the sand. It don't get no better than this!:socool::nonono::D

Are you currently in Daytona?

No, but I feel like I'm getting closer to it every day.:D I'm in Chattanooga doing the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Bloody Chickamauga. 34.000 casualties in 3 days. Around here we refer to the War of Northern Aggression as the "recent unpleasantness".

No, but I feel like I'm getting closer to it every day.:D I'm in Chattanooga doing the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Bloody Chickamauga. 34.000 casualties in 3 days. Around here we refer to the War of Northern Aggression as the "recent unpleasantness".

If you ever make it here, give me a holler

Back
Top Bottom