Rebuilding the Abaco's....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Talking to the realtor he told me something that surprised me at first but then made sense. Existing homes are being snatched up quickly and are going for top dollar!
Just this week, I got an email update from Hideaways RE, of current listings and recent solds, which supports that.

They also said BahamasAir to resume flights from West Palm Beach, Florida to Marsh Harbour, Abaco on June 14th, 2020
And...
Bahamas Power & Light working on underground cables in White Sound and electricity supply will hopefully be restored on Elbow Cay, by Mid-Late June 2020

Just this week, I got an email update from Hideaways RE, of current listings and recent solds, which supports that.

They also said BahamasAir to resume flights from West Palm Beach, Florida to Marsh Harbour, Abaco on June 14th, 2020
And...
Bahamas Power & Light working on underground cables in White Sound and electricity supply will hopefully be restored on Elbow Cay, by Mid-Late June 2020

The realtor thought July 1 for foreigners, those BA flights might be to allow Bahamian nationals to get back?

All the temporary aid in the world sent with all the best intentions won't be a patch on people buying into the Bahamian economy in getting the place back on its feet. The Bahamas are not for me, but glad there are those willing to put their money to work there.

All the temporary aid in the world sent with all the best intentions won't be a patch on people buying into the Bahamian economy in getting the place back on its feet. The Bahamas are not for me, but glad there are those willing to put their money to work there.

As they say there is many a slip between cup and lip - so we will see if we can get this done the way we want to.

I know the Bahamas aren't for everyone, especially anyone who bases their view on Paradise Island or cruise ship ports. Also the Abacos had changed quite a bit over the last twenty years with some complaining that it was becoming little south Florida. While we never felt that, it will be interesting to see how post-Dorian Abaco feels.

Also if you get the chance and have the boat you really need to go through the Exumas chain at least once and then visit the "Far Bahamas." Cat, Long, Little San Salvador, etc. We are planning on going even further next time - to Conception, Rum, Crooked, Inagua, and even getting to the T&C's using Abaco as a base.

The people are awesome and you really can lose yourself for a long time if you want to.

Last edited:
We are hoping to head over there this fall as we make our way back south. We were originally planning on the Exumas this spring, but while waiting for the weather window COVID hit and we chickened out and stayed in FL for a few weeks. Now as we work our way up the east coast, our focus is elsewhere for the next couple of months. So, hopefully this fall we can make our first run over to the Bahamas. We are now thinking Abacos instead, but will plan that later in the year. Maybe Exumas. Maybe Abacos. Maybe both and then some. I love hearing about the progress over there. We have not set timeline so we may stay a few weeks, or a few months. Time will tell. Menzies, you have an exciting project you are working on there.... I hope it comes to together nicely, and I bet it will.

The largest private employer in the Bahamas is Atlantis. They've been making ex gratia payments to their laid off employees. Those are ending tomorrow. They've given no prediction on when they'll reopen.

Don't know how I missed this, but good job by the local firefighters here in St John's County!

Attachments

• cache_4229758660.jpg
    cache_4229758660.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 30
Wow! That’s quite the donation.

If I could talk my wife into it, we would be living in the Bahamas!

My favorite place in the world. :)

But, I'm frankly amazed at how many people do make ill advise hundred million dollar investments there, when I see the abandoned resorts that are on so many islands.

The way to enjoy the Bahamas, is to enjoy it in it's natural state as much as possible, i.e. the Out Islands. And, the more outer, the better.

If I could talk my wife into it, we would be living in the Bahamas!

My favorite place in the world. :)

But, I'm frankly amazed at how many people do make ill advise hundred million dollar investments there, when I see the abandoned resorts that are on so many islands.

The way to enjoy the Bahamas, is to enjoy it in it's natural state as much as possible, i.e. the Out Islands. And, the more outer, the better.

Abandoned million dollar houses also. I've always said, I wouldn't want anything in the islands that I can't bring home by pulling up the anchor!

The Bahamas just would not be the same without a vast assortment of abandoned hardware laying around.
Lets see: Arawak hotel, 100’ ICBM tracking antenna, Atlas rocket casing, full drum of sulphuric acid, aircraft control tower, HF comm antenna complex, air to ground missile, disused lighthouse and countless boats.

The Bahamas just would not be the same without a vast assortment of abandoned hardware laying around.
Lets see: Arawak hotel, 100’ ICBM tracking antenna, Atlas rocket casing, full drum of sulphuric acid, aircraft control tower, HF comm antenna complex, air to ground missile, disused lighthouse and countless boats.

You really never know what you are going to find when you start walking around on islands in the Bahamas! :D

As they say there is many a slip between cup and lip - so we will see if we can get this done the way we want to.

I know the Bahamas aren't for everyone, especially anyone who bases their view on Paradise Island or cruise ship ports. Also the Abacos had changed quite a bit over the last twenty years with some complaining that it was becoming little south Florida. While we never felt that, it will be interesting to see how post-Dorian Abaco feels.

Also if you get the chance and have the boat you really need to go through the Exumas chain at least once and then visit the "Far Bahamas." Cat, Long, Little San Salvador, etc. We are planning on going even further next time - to Conception, Rum, Crooked, Inagua, and even getting to the T&C's using Abaco as a base.

The people are awesome and you really can lose yourself for a long time if you want to.

We hope to find out!

We intend to be Bahama bound in 2021. The plan is 5 months there and 7 months in the states or there abouts.

Back
Top Bottom