Old 05-24-2021, 12:05 AM   #1
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Reappearing after a long absence

Greetings fellow boaters. It's been a long time since I've ventured on the TrawlerForum boards. I confess that I spiraled during the fiasco of 2020. Maintaining was not easy on a personal level. Thank goodness for my Seaweed. She's still my favorite.

I'm upgrading her systems. Currently I have no power in the pilothouse. There's a wiring issue up there. As I wanted to organize the wires better, I ordered a new larger fuse block (8-banger, utilizing terminal rings-- I'm not a fan of spade fittings) and want to make the setup more logical.

That is on the agenda.

Still writing for the website, and pleased with that. It is still fun though at times the computer is challenging. I've been on a computer (does a Tandy 100 count?) since 1984. I'm a user more than any type of expert. There is always something new to learn.

It is good to be back. I've been perusing/catching up the past few days. It's great to see so many familiar names, and new ones as well.

See you on the threads... J.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:37 AM   #2
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Hello Janice. I looked at your mimi-trawler floor plan and realized my AT34 really isn't small.
Did you get your Volvo engine? I do hope you are happy with it.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:42 AM   #3
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post

It is good to be back. I've been perusing/catching up the past few days. It's great to see so many familiar names, and new ones as well.

See you on the threads... J.

Welcome back! And you're still in St. Petersburg these days? I was just down in that area last week for a couple days...

Cheers, -Chris
Old 05-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Hello Janice. I looked at your mimi-trawler floor plan and realized my AT34 really isn't small.
Did you get your Volvo engine? I do hope you are happy with it.
34 is a good size, and the Atlantic Tugs are nice looking boats. As for me, I prefer smaller. It's just me though occasionally a visitor will stop by. Size is relative OldDan. I look at the larger yachts and think "look at all that work!" whereas Seaweed requires much less.

Decades ago I had friends in Coral Springs, FL. At that time it was a swanky new neighborhood. The families were house poor, and in reflection I believe seeing them shaped many decisions henceforth. I am inordinately fortunate.

The Volvo was an abject failure. After all the $$$ dumped into her she broke. Fatally. Mechanics and advice from here led me to stop the bleed.

I've got a Kubota now. She is good, albeit my wake differs from the Volvo. Same speeds though (4.5) so no speed demon.

Such is life.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Janice142.com

Great to hear from you again. I have been reading your site since the beginning and it seems that each article is better than the previous one, and they are all terrific - educational, informative and often humorous. Keep up the nice work. We enjoy having you on this Forum.
oldhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #6
Guru

Greetings Chris. Yes, I'm on the beach, and have been based here for far longer than anticipated. Complacency is a Real Thing. Though I would love to be able to say I've done all sorts of wonderful things, the reality is that I have enjoyed puttering, reading, crafting and a lot of writing. A few day trips, anchoring out occasionally, and, well, pondering. Planning.

Small things that in the greater scheme of life aren't earth shattering yet make Seaweed and me better. I am becoming more cognizant of age, and making changes to Seaweed in that regard.

But that's life. I am truly blessed that hauling water or dragging a hose is no longer a thing. A watermaker is totally $$$, and so worth the upgrade in life. I debated this purchase since before I bought Seaweed, and am reveling in the changes this small Katadyn40 brought to my life.

For folks that go marina to marina, or who can hire a boat boy to deliver water, a watermaker is a luxury. It is for me. And it's one I treasure and appreciate more than words can say.

Currently though my boat is overstocked with stuff. I would be embarrassed to show her to anyone. The chaos is of my own making, which makes things worse! But that's real life aboard a boat, so there you have it.

Thanks for the greeting. It is appreciated.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #7
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Janice, "The Volvo was an abject failure. After all the $$$ dumped into her she broke. Fatally. Mechanics and advice from here led me to stop the bleed.

I've got a Kubota now. She is good, albeit my wake differs from the Volvo. Same speeds though (4.5) so no speed demon."

Yes, I have heard the Volvo was unreliable and parts take forever to get you your boat. I think my Northern Lights generator uses a Kubota. One day, I will look again.

Re the water maker: You bought a 12vt model? I bought the 12vt for flexibility of powering it. It doesn't have to have a large capacity. We can run it 24 hours a day if necessary. I one I bought this time.... I think 300 gpd or maybe more, under ideal conditions. Again, one day I will go look and see. I do know it's enough that restricting reasonable showers is totally unnecessary. Of course, restricting showers does have a way of making the tank water last longer.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #8
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Welcome back Miss Janice!
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #9
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Welcome back old friend!

If we had more time we would come over to the other side of Florida and see you.

Cheers
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:54 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhatt View Post
Great to hear from you again. I have been reading your site since the beginning and it seems that each article is better than the previous one, and they are all terrific - educational, informative and often humorous. Keep up the nice work. We enjoy having you on this Forum.
Thank you oldhatt. I have found joy in writing. It is nice of you to say so. J.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:10 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Janice,
Re the water maker: You bought a 12vt model? I bought the 12vt for flexibility of powering it. It doesn't have to have a large capacity. We can run it 24 hours a day if necessary. I one I bought this time.... I think 300 gpd or maybe more, under ideal conditions. Again, one day I will go look and see. I do know it's enough that restricting reasonable showers is totally unnecessary. Of course, restricting showers does have a way of making the tank water last longer.
Mine provides 1.5 gph at a cost of 4Ah, so easy to power. What mine provides in ample supply is comfort. I don't worry about water and conservation isn't on my radar. Freedom is worth the $$$ spent.

I've seen much higher output models that work off of 110, or a Honda2k. As I lack the upper body strength to start a 2kw Honda (unless it is already warmed up) so this is just right for me. My unit came with "everything" including the owner's manual, world cruising kit, and a full rebuild set. Plus the seller installed it for me.

I love mine. Seller installed a pre-filter (same size as whole house water filters except with a clear housing) so I've got one added 30 micron filter inline prior to the membrane. During red tide that filter turned black overnight. Ouch!!!

Yes, I took the system offline, tried cleaning the 30 micron (that didn't work) then waited for clean water.

Isn't it nice to enjoy the freedom knowing that water isn't an issue?!? There really isn't anything that matches the labor saving of a functional watermaker. Enjoy yours. J.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:38 PM   #12
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Howdy, Janice. When was it you left Carrabelle?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:41 PM   #13
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Hi Janice, agree, a water maker is well worth it if you disconnect from the beaten path. I am heading out on Thursday for a month or two at our local Islands and the water maker will be on every day. Not being in ration mode and a nice shower at the end of the day is a welcomed luxury.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:19 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Welcome back Miss Janice!
Thanks wayfarer. It is wonderful to be welcomed back. Thank you.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:21 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Howdy, Janice. When was it you left Carrabelle?
Yes Rich. I see you still have your new boat. Theclast I remember you were dealing with storm damage. That surely was a huge mess. How is your lift situation? Resolved, I hope.

Years ago I left Carrabelle though Skipper and I still have friends there. For proof check out the newest article Seaweed's New Address article on janice142

For the past few years I've puttering around St. Pete Beach. There are lots of places to see and anchor, with good holding in sand bottoms. I love the green water, much like in the Pensacola area. It's pretty.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #16
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Yeah, Janice, just couple of grand worth or easily repaired damage to the boat from the pine tree that leaned on it in its hidey hole, but plenty damage to the slip. Now all fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Boatlift wreck 5.jpg   DSC03143.jpg  
Old 05-24-2021, 05:37 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Welcome back old friend!

If we had more time we would come over to the other side of Florida and see you.

Cheers
Thanks Chief. Life is good on this coast though Seaweed is in the midst of a variety of projects. She looks like a tornado went off inside her. It seems that each time I need a piece of hardware it is buried in a locker behind stuff. Argh.

A neighbor said he needed 7/16th's nuts. I dug mine out. The two choices I could find were 5/16" or 3/8" ... both the requesting individual and I were tired. I knew he was rebedding stanchions that were 1/4 20's (using a 7/16" wrench) and still exploded lockers looking for the correct size. My jar of 1/4 20's was out and convenient.

So when friends ask "how's your day?" ... well, that pretty much sums it up nicely. I'm avoiding putting the locker away for a while, instead playing here on Trawler Forum.

I have been flying my Trawler Forum flag. It is faded so ill have to replace it after I repaint. I'll want a spiffy new flag to match the shiny paint. The design is super. I have not yet noticed anyone else displaying one, though that just means I've been dock bound too long!
Old 05-24-2021, 05:42 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Yeah, Janice, just couple of grand worth or easily repaired damage to the boat from the pine tree that leaned on it in its hidey hole, but plenty damage to the slip. Now all fixed.
That's a thing of beauty. I'm happy for you.

Plus this boat has a lot less holes in her bottom than the Grand Banks. Congratulations.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:58 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
That's a thing of beauty. I'm happy for you.

Plus this boat has a lot less holes in her bottom than the Grand Banks. Congratulations.
Based on what I see that survived Michael around here, this new lid should easily handle another one like it.

The GB had eleven holes in her bottom including shafts and this one has one, two.... FIVE, but who cares, it lives most of its life out of the wawa.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #20
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Hi Janice, good to see you back here. And thanks again for the Christmas gift, its now hanging on a lampshade in the den. Didn’t put it up with all the other Christmas stuff. I know there’s a term for what you made, but cant remember. It’s a 5 pointed, folded star made from nav charts, and great to look at.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote