Reappearing after a long absence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately, Dometic has long delivery delays on all their products and they're really the only game in town.

Good to know information. Thank you.

I asked him to order one for me (12K BTU) Well, there are rules to be followed. I have to wait for an estimate and then my approval and then, the delay time to get the A/C unit will be approximate 1 month to get it. Then, installation process and time to schedule. LOL

Whatever happened to getting my approval while on the boat? Shake hands and start the process.

Approval? Are you submitting an insurance claim? Never heard of getting insurance money for a TU ac unit. Just several years back, I needed a new AC unit, and I did not need a tech to visit because it was so obviously corroded through and dead. I took the measurements of the hole it had to fit into, noted the measurements of the new, higher capacity unit I wanted and ordered it from a local dealer who worked out of his garage. A few days later, I met him in a parking lot and slid the unit from his tailgate to mine and handed him a check. Several hours later, the night before we were to depart on a week-long cruise, I had the new unit installed and operating. Five days from start to finish of the process.

34 is a good size, and the Atlantic Tugs are nice looking boats. As for me, I prefer smaller. It's just me though occasionally a visitor will stop by. Size is relative OldDan. I look at the larger yachts and think "look at all that work!" whereas Seaweed requires much less.

Decades ago I had friends in Coral Springs, FL. At that time it was a swanky new neighborhood. The families were house poor, and in reflection I believe seeing them shaped many decisions henceforth. I am inordinately fortunate.

The Volvo was an abject failure. After all the $$$ dumped into her she broke. Fatally. Mechanics and advice from here led me to stop the bleed.

I've got a Kubota now. She is good, albeit my wake differs from the Volvo. Same speeds though (4.5) so no speed demon.

Such is life.

When I was a sailboat owner, 4.5 knts was an acceptable good speed. If I could maintain that all day I would say I had a decent day of sailing and that's not even in a straight line! It's all relative. A fellow power-boater complains he can't do much more than 10 knts. I'm happy enough cruising around 15 knts, but at times that feels slow too. It's all what you are used to. When I moved from sailing to power, I never thought I'd want or need to go faster than 7 knts because that was really flying. Anyway, we have talked on other threads, never knew you before, but glad to see you are back.

Approval? Are you submitting an insurance claim? Never heard of getting insurance money for a TU ac unit. Just several years back, I needed a new AC unit, and I did not need a tech to visit because it was so obviously corroded through and dead. I took the measurements of the hole it had to fit into, noted the measurements of the new, higher capacity unit I wanted and ordered it from a local dealer who worked out of his garage. A few days later, I met him in a parking lot and slid the unit from his tailgate to mine and handed him a check. Several hours later, the night before we were to depart on a week-long cruise, I had the new unit installed and operating. Five days from start to finish of the process.

But not everyone is Rich Gano! lol

Mine provides plenty for me, so I am pleased. That one addition made a Huge impact on my life. Hauling water is physically difficult. Since I left Pensacola I have brought every speck of water required to Seaweed. At anchor that meant one of three things.

1. Asking permission to refill jugs and hauling to boat

2. Keep Algae bottom inside clean. Wait for rain. Install inline filter between bilge pump in Algae and my water fill. Fill tank.

As a side note, I've got a 7' plastic dink. To the gunnels she holds 100 gallons. So to the seat I can fill my 50 gallon water tank.

3. Flip a switch. Wait ten minutes to confirm water is fine. Turn knob to fill tank. Later, shut down Katadyn40. I don't back flush as I use the watermaker every other day. This is by far my favorite easiest solution.

At a dock means dragging hoses, and gain, is just so much harder than flipping the switch. I am Truly Fortunate to have a watermaker though for most I suspect a higher output model would be a better option.

And yes Fletcher500, there is a special delight in long showers. Hot water is not yet on my agenda. I opted to use that space for more batteries. A gal's got to have power.

I am pretty ignorant about watermakers but would be interested in what you have on your small boat. What does it cost to buy/install and what does it take in power to operate and how much water does it provide? I ask because fresh water was always a premium on boats I've owned. When sailing I carried a couple extra 5 gallon jugs. Current boat carries 40 gal which is enough for about 3 days/nights for the 2 of us (some goes to the freshwater head). I'd love to have a watermaker but always assumed that was for bigger boats than mine

I am pretty ignorant about watermakers but would be interested in what you have on your small boat. What does it cost to buy/install and what does it take in power to operate and how much water does it provide? I ask because fresh water was always a premium on boats I've owned. When sailing I carried a couple extra 5 gallon jugs. Current boat carries 40 gal which is enough for about 3 days/nights for the 2 of us (some goes to the freshwater head). I'd love to have a watermaker but always assumed that was for bigger boats than mine

I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a Katadyn40. She is small.

After the thru hull there is one of those dinky little pretend screen filters a bit smaller than a cup. Next is an inline 10" whole house style water filter with a clear housing. This is not Required though it was Recommended.

This 30 micron filter will be swapped out every couple days. Thus, having easy access is critical. Also note that when red tide hit here, the filter turned black (BLACK!!) overnight. Ugh.

Normally backinblue I swish out the used filter in the water (Gulf of Mexico) and hang it in the sunlight to dry. I swap out a pair of filters every few days, using the same two for months.

Next water goes into the membrane pump. 15" or so long with a pump at the bottom. Water leaves the pump and there is a valve. One way goes into my sink in the head. When I first turn on the pump it smells salty/dank. It drains into my sink. Once the water is clear/fresh I swish out the sink with soap, so no issues with rust.

About 10 minutes later there is no odor. Sometimes I check with my TDS meter. Total Dissolved Solids number will be at 150. Water from the city tests at 250ppm, so my water is cleaner than city stuff.

The Katadyn40 i bought included the full rebuild kit, and the world cruising kit. It was $3000 and that price included installation. I bought from a friend.

I chose this unit specifically because it runs off 12v. She puts out 1.5 gallons of water per hour, using 4aH.

Picture:

KatadynOnBulkhead.jpg

If I had the space and power I might have opted for one of the larger 120v ac versions. Those provide a lot more water in less time. For me, this is ideal. The power consumption and fact that 12v is sufficient was an Important criteria in my decision. Just getting Katy was serendipitous. A generous reader donated to me via PayPal, and at the same point Ken asked if I still wanted to buy his watermaker. Because I had a down-payment available in PayPal I was able to secure the watermaker.

Truly this changed my life. Hauling water was exhausting. Now, except for right now (red tide has been here for 3 weeks so...) I turn on the Katadyn40 for a little while each day or two. A fellow wrote a how-to and I've been following his rules (use prefilter, swap filters) without issue. He's the real expert.

Financially the watermaker is not a good idea. Except that it is so worthwhile I cannot imagine going back to living without one. I love mine.

I would suggest starting a thread though as there are some great units available in the same price range or less that put out more water. Mine is older and newer are generally more efficient.

And, are you sure your tank holds 40 gallons? I ask because Seaweed supposedly held 30. When I first bought her I took a gallon jug and started to fill her. I remember thinking that if she held 50 gallons I would never measure one gallon at a time. Still, I wanted to be sure that at a dock I wouldn't be overcharged for water. So I counted... 50 gallons. Yep. Her stats said 30, however she holds 50.

Now that I have Katy showers are frequent, and I wash my hair almost every day. I wash clothes in fresh water. My life is terrific. The watermaker is a big part of that. I am so appreciative that a reader donated at just the correct moment so I could secure the Katadyn40. I am truly blessed.

Life aboard Seaweed is amazing, though I probably should have named her Theory. Everything works in theory. (said while sming)

As Janice has shown, there are watermakers of every size. They're now being installed regularly on smaller boats than they once were. People imagine them as far more complicated and troublesome than they are. Of course proper use and care and maintenance is key. However, basically amounts to good pre-filtering to protect the membrane, regular flushing of the watermaker. Monitoring the output as well. There are quite a few units that take less than 3 cubic feet of space.

Every manufacturer is building more small units and finding a lot of market now in sail boats which so long resisted watermakers, but taking all the reasons not to away, much like the Katydyn did for Janice.

Janice, I opted for a 12vt so I can run it underway w/o running the generator. I am told, the capacity is reduce if using 12vt but I have the comfort knowing I can run the WM even if the generator craps out. If the output is reduced, no problem, I just have to run it a bit longer. And NO NO NO, I dont rely on the inverter (1800 watts) for much help at all. I have 3x4D house batteries (40amp charger true), not 3x8D soooo, I must be careful when using the inverter too. Yes, I have 2X140 watt solar panels but they are there to assist when at anchor or the generator and or the alternator crap out all together. Then, I will be in very sad shape.

Yes, I know I could improve the system but at what cost. I'll wait until something craps out and then worry about it. I try to keep everything 'stock' out of consideration for the next owner.

In the Great Lakes, there are marinas, pump outs, and fresh water supplies galore.
I'm not sure about the Canadian side but Michigan has it covered. LOL

Thanks for all the advice. Finding fresh water is not a problem here. It's just that if we want to anchor out some where for several nights, fresh water is likely the limiting factor. I also like to carry several gallons of spring water for drinking and for emergency if the tank runs dry. We mostly use bottled water for drinking though our tank water is fine too.

Thanks for all the advice. Finding fresh water is not a problem here. It's just that if we want to anchor out some where for several nights, fresh water is likely the limiting factor. I also like to carry several gallons of spring water for drinking and for emergency if the tank runs dry. We mostly use bottled water for drinking though our tank water is fine too.

Just a thought: when you're not using water, shut off your pump. That way you won't efficiently empty your tank by accident. Instead plumb in a hand pump at the galley sink for the occasional glass of water

When it is time to do dishes or shower, turn on the pump

Important info on hand pumps: put it after your filter. I've plumbed mine in between the filter and the 12v pump. You MUST use a one way valve or both systems will break. That tale is long and ugly, but I did finally find the problem and fix it.

Anyway, I suggest most should shut off the power to the 12v water pump unless you need it. Now I'm a soloist so if there are two aboard that might not work well.

Good luck, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom