Reappearing after a long absence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Janice, great to have you back.

Greetings fellow boaters. It's been a long time since I've ventured on the TrawlerForum boards. I confess that I spiraled during the fiasco of 2020. Maintaining was not easy on a personal level. Thank goodness for my Seaweed. She's still my favorite.

I'm upgrading her systems. Currently I have no power in the pilothouse. There's a wiring issue up there. As I wanted to organize the wires better, I ordered a new larger fuse block (8-banger, utilizing terminal rings-- I'm not a fan of spade fittings) and want to make the setup more logical.

That is on the agenda.

Still writing for the website, and pleased with that. It is still fun though at times the computer is challenging. I've been on a computer (does a Tandy 100 count?) since 1984. I'm a user more than any type of expert. There is always something new to learn.

It is good to be back. I've been perusing/catching up the past few days. It's great to see so many familiar names, and new ones as well.

See you on the threads... J.

Welcome back to TF boat-thread "stravagansa". Good to hear from you again!

Art

I don't think you can put the skinny one in the fat housing, but the large diameter FloPlus has more surface area on the filter media, so it flows more.

Ah. I see. Didn't realize there's a .5m FloPlus option; I'll search that out.

Thanks again.

-Chris

Hi Janice, good to see you back here. And thanks again for the Christmas gift, its now hanging on a lampshade in the den. Didn’t put it up with all the other Christmas stuff. I know there’s a term for what you made, but cant remember. It’s a 5 pointed, folded star made from nav charts, and great to look at.

Gosh, thank you. I'm so glad you liked it. They were a lot of fun to make.

I am such a nut about Christmas... can't wait to start this year's chart creation.

Janice: Welcome back! Your posts and adventures have been missed.

It's great to see you too Cap'n Larry.

Excluding the birth of the Newest grand, and a boatyard haulout (scheduled in the middle of July -- ugh!) mostly I accomplished little. As much as I revel in my alone time, I discovered going nowhere was worse.

Plus I like to overachieve, so rather than the covid 15 pounds, I doubled that. Argh. I am pulling myself up and the numbers are decreasing. Most importantly, I feel better, healthier. It is incredibly easy to put on weight... didn't use to be like that.

I did get a ride out to renew my boat registration as the office had been closed. Got out there, then discovered it was by appointment only. A few days later and it did get my new stickers. Finally I can legally take my girl out.

That increases my happiness quotient enormously. Life is very good afloat.

Wifey B:
Now to you......omg I'm so happy to see you here. :dance::dance::dance::lol::rofl::)

I feared everything for you and all others I didn't see. There are still missing members who we don't know if we lost as members or worse happened. :ermm:

I figured out one other thing. While the isolation impacted everyone, I think the ones who suffered worse were ones like you who are so friendly, so upbeat, quietly social and you just couldn't be you, missed that part of you. :nonono:

But now you're back and while I can't say all is right in the world, at least it's a little better, even with me typing this at 3:30 AM. :D:D:D:dance::dance::dance:

I totally get the 3:30 a.m. bit! Most of my writing is done between one and five a.m. The world is quiet. It is just me and the wildlife, most of which is asleep. All is well in the peace of the night.

Oh, I'm happy your sweet Aurora is next door. That's sweet, though it seems she was a teen not ten minutes ago!

As for that dance, thank you. I'm certain it will be much admired by many here...

Seriously Wifey B, I do thank you for your welcoming greeting.

Thanks for your articles and website.

“I have been flying my Trawler Forum flag. It is faded so ill have to replace it after I repaint. I'll want a spiffy new flag to match the shiny paint.”

I just sent you a new one.

Todd

Gosh, thank you. This place is special. It is an honor to be here amongst friends. Thank you.

I totally get the 3:30 a.m. bit! Most of my writing is done between one and five a.m. The world is quiet. It is just me and the wildlife, most of which is asleep. All is well in the peace of the night.

Oh, I'm happy your sweet Aurora is next door. That's sweet, though it seems she was a teen not ten minutes ago!

As for that dance, thank you. I'm certain it will be much admired by many here...

Seriously Wifey B, I do thank you for your welcoming greeting.

Wifey B: Aurora is only 6, but she makes it clear she's almost 7, and acts much older and so spoiled but I do love her. Teen you were thinking of turns 26 in a couple of weeks. :)

Meanwhile I'm on Central European Summer Time and where there's only about 4 hours per night of true darkness and so sun and time discombobulated. :confused:

It's really great to have you back aboard, Janice!! You have been missed by your TF 'imaginary friends"! I'm so glad to hear you're still enjoying Seaweed to the fullest!

Your description of your disheveled boat sounds a lot like mine when projects are in progress. I figure that if I keep everything out in plain sight, I can find it!!

Last week I had to laugh at myself after it took about an hour of searching and contemplating to locate a one-gallon can of acetone! You'd think that would be easy to find, right? :facepalm: :banghead: :nonono:

Welcome back aboard, Lady Janice!!

Hey Janice! Glad you are back! Sent DM.

Hi Janice, agree, a water maker is well worth it if you disconnect from the beaten path. I am heading out on Thursday for a month or two at our local Islands and the water maker will be on every day. Not being in ration mode and a nice shower at the end of the day is a welcomed luxury.

Mine provides plenty for me, so I am pleased. That one addition made a Huge impact on my life. Hauling water is physically difficult. Since I left Pensacola I have brought every speck of water required to Seaweed. At anchor that meant one of three things.

1. Asking permission to refill jugs and hauling to boat

2. Keep Algae bottom inside clean. Wait for rain. Install inline filter between bilge pump in Algae and my water fill. Fill tank.

As a side note, I've got a 7' plastic dink. To the gunnels she holds 100 gallons. So to the seat I can fill my 50 gallon water tank.

3. Flip a switch. Wait ten minutes to confirm water is fine. Turn knob to fill tank. Later, shut down Katadyn40. I don't back flush as I use the watermaker every other day. This is by far my favorite easiest solution.

At a dock means dragging hoses, and gain, is just so much harder than flipping the switch. I am Truly Fortunate to have a watermaker though for most I suspect a higher output model would be a better option.

And yes Fletcher500, there is a special delight in long showers. Hot water is not yet on my agenda. I opted to use that space for more batteries. A gal's got to have power.

Janice,

Great to hear from you again, and really glad 2020 is behind us... was certainly not the best of years.

And happy to hear you're back in our St. Pete area. I believe last time we met was several years ago, Christmas time, at the Legion when you had your boat decorated so well.

I wander past your PO box 3 or 4 times a week to see friends on the beach.... and still patronize the Legion, which is almost back in full swing now. Thought about moving my PO box over there but now thinking of just dropping it after prices went up 50%.

Enjoy your posts and site. Good to have you back!

Janice, I dunno from watermakers, but.. if your pre-filter is common household size, there's a dual-gradient filter out there that might get you even cleaner input... if it's not actually to dense for your system

Check out Pentek DGD-2501 at someplace like filtersfast.com or wherever you usually order from. Dual 25m/1m density...

We use those at our home, since our well supply is so "rusty". For filling our boat tanks, I usually follow that one with a Pentek FloPlus-10 filter (.5m) when we fill from a marina source that uses a well... but that one cuts water pressure so much we couldn't use it in line (with the other) for our shorewater feed.

Thanks Chris. I am concerned about pump capacity. According to my documentation if I opt for dual inline filters I will have to add a booster pump. That sounds like another potential point of failure.

Advice from the guy in the Sea of Cortez who wrote a 30-page "here's how I do it" suggests swapping put the pre-filter regularly. That is why mine is mounted in an easily accessible spot. I swap filters every few days.

However that does NOT mean I throw away filters. Instead I swish them on an incoming tide then hang up to dry in the sun. My filters last a long time, or until red tide arrived.

Thank you for the link Chris. Finding 30 micron was harder than expected the last time I bought a batch. Thanks Cap'n.

They do add up fast. I've got 13 total holes below the waterline. 8 thru hulls, 2 shafts, 2 rudders, and 1 depth transducer. And then 18 above water line discharges including the engine and generator exhausts.

Just a thought re the shaft. If you have room, you might consider adding a shift zinc INSIDE to you shaft between the transmissionand stuffing box. This will offer zero protection from electrolysis. It will prevent a catastrophic loss of shaft. And, for me it provides a place to store spares that I can access easily for the diver.

This is not my idea... old timers did it, so I do too.

P.S. - I believe I just might be an old-timer too. When did that happen?!? I was a sweet young thing not so long ago. Maybe.

Just a thought re the shaft. If you have room, you might consider adding a shift zinc INSIDE to you shaft between the transmission and stuffing box. This will offer zero protection from electrolysis. It will prevent a catastrophic loss of shaft. And, for me it provides a place to store spares that I can access easily for the diver.

This is not my idea... old timers did it, so I do too.

P.S. - I believe I just might be an old-timer too. When did that happen?!? I was a sweet young thing not so long ago. Maybe.

It's not a bad idea, but even if a coupler lets go, I won't lose a shaft on my setup. The shaft zinc should hit the strut just before the prop hits the rudder. So both of those would have to fail to catch the shaft to end up losing it. The only way I can think of losing a shaft is if one breaks right in front of the stuffing box where it would be able to pull back far enough to at least clear the packing, if not the whole shaft log.

Wifey B: Aurora is only 6, but she makes it clear she's almost 7, and acts much older and so spoiled but I do love her. Teen you were thinking of turns 26 in a couple of weeks. :)

Meanwhile I'm on Central European Summer Time and where there's only about 4 hours per night of true darkness and so sun and time discombobulated. :confused:

Gotcha. You're correct. I had mentally switched the names. Thanks for the reminder.

Six is such a wondrous age. How fortunate you are. Enjoy life, though I believe you and B have that perfected. Those of us with boats truly are blessed.

It's really great to have you back aboard, Janice!! You have been missed by your TF 'imaginary friends"! I'm so glad to hear you're still enjoying Seaweed to the fullest!

Your description of your disheveled boat sounds a lot like mine when projects are in progress. I figure that if I keep everything out in plain sight, I can find it!!

Last week I had to laugh at myself after it took about an hour of searching and contemplating to locate a one-gallon can of acetone! You'd think that would be easy to find, right? :facepalm: :banghead: :nonono:

Welcome back aboard, Lady Janice!!

Thanks. This past week I lost door handles. Emptied a bench seat Twice, before finding the set exactly where I had left them. Out. Easily accessible.

Your boat is large so you've got more potential hiding spots. Still, I do love your generator spot. I've shared that with a neighbor and a duplicate solution is now on his list. So, from your coast to mine, the good ideas flow. Thank you.

Welcome back to TF boat-thread "stravagansa". Good to hear from you again

Thanks. It is good to be back. I should have returned long ago. Trawler Forum is a special place, made so by so many here. I'm having fun perusing the threads, learning stuff too.

Janice,

Great to hear from you again, and really glad 2020 is behind us... was certainly not the best of years.

And happy to hear you're back in our St. Pete area. I believe last time we met was several years ago, Christmas time, at the Legion when you had your boat decorated so well.

I wander past your PO box 3 or 4 times a week to see friends on the beach.... and still patronize the Legion, which is almost back in full swing now. Thought about moving my PO box over there but now thinking of just dropping it after prices went up 50%.

Enjoy your posts and site. Good to have you back!

Thanks Cap'n. Your boat is nice too. Thank you for the look-see. She's a real beauty. I particularly like how safe and secure she feels. Those walk around side decks are grand. And inside, spacious. You and your bride are fortunate.

I have been hibernating, and I spent all too much time wallowing last year. Anyone (me!!!) who thinks it is a good idea to haul out in the middle of summer needs her head examined. Fortunately all went well at the yard. Salt Creek, if you're curious.

Being able to get out again has improved my outlook enormously. Last week I went with a few boaters to ZomHee over on Park Boulevard. That was a real treat. It is my favorite Chinese restaurant in the area. If you have not been there, I highly recommend the place. Plus the place is conducive to Conversation. I know... shocker!!! A restaurant that doesn't blast music is an oddity it seems.

Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year. This year I will definitely visit the American Legion with Seaweed. Since you've seen her I have simplified my decorations. The Christmas tree was passed along to a couple on a 36' sailboat. I am happy for that as the tree has been boating for 40-plus years.

I've been improving the interior of Seaweed with new gear (microwave, refrigerator and too an rv ac unit) so she should be spiffy. The new worker is available after the holiday. He's going to reinforce a soft spot in the galley overhead plus install the new ac. It will just fit between the two Bucky solar panels. Yeah!!!

It is good to finally feel like myself again.

The post office box is essentially $10 a month. I do miss the old prices. Still, the beach staff are great. Jeanne in particular is a real gem.

Once I get my pilothouse wiring situated, I'll be using Seaweed again. My registration expired in 2020 so I could not legally leave the dock. Argh.

Anyway, I will look for you the American Legion the next time I go there. Take care, and thank you for the welcome.

To Cap'n Jack: What a nice person you are! Thank you so much. I did receive the generous gift.

I could not find an email link to thank you privately, this the public post. Thank you Sir.

Thanks for your articles and website.

“I have been flying my Trawler Forum flag. It is faded so ill have to replace it after I repaint. I'll want a spiffy new flag to match the shiny paint.”

I just sent you a new one.

Todd

Gosh, thank you. It is beautiful.

The newest fellow is on my pilothouse finding and fixing leaks. What I did not know is that the Fan-tastic vent fan lid had cracked in the Florida heat. I hadn't seen it and am embarrassed to say that. I should have noticed especially since I started getting drips there. Very frustrating!

The galley ac unit is being upgraded too. Dometic offers an rv unit 13.5btus that is lighter weight than the old ones. It is the Brisk 2, and has an optional heating element. Of course this will not work from my solar array, even with the wind generator (Air Breeze model with the new carbon fiber blades) but for at the dock this will be a major improvement.

And of course there is a how not to purchase online element (argh!!!!!) However I did utilize my Navy Federal credit card, so I will get a refund.

The pilothouse should be ready for painting tomorrow (crossing fingers) and I will be able to display the spiffy new burgee on a freshly painted pilothouse. I am so looking forward to that. Thank you. And thanks too to the designers. It is among the best I've seen... wow! We truly are fortunate.

Dang, Janice. We need to stop this Incessant boat upgrades and enjoy some cruising. The Admiral & I were supposed to leave in April and here it is almost July. We did new A/C to include the pilothouse, bottom, new bow thruster, new auto pilot, pilothouse paint, shaft seal, canvas refurb, doing genset recon now, never ends.

It's crazy Larry. My concern as a layman who doesn't really understand money... well, I truly believe that if I do not purchase now the prices will be out of reach very soon. I'm making wishes come true and upgrades too now.

I am trying to purchase a 13.5k btu Dometic ac unit. They have a newer one that weighs 70 pounds and will fit between the Bucky solar panels. I'm having a hard time finding it. Argh. I believe I'll start a new thread on that. Perhaps someone here can offer help and advice.

But yes, too much fixing and not nearly enough time underway.

It's crazy Larry. My concern as a layman who doesn't really understand money... well, I truly believe that if I do not purchase now the prices will be out of reach very soon. I'm making wishes come true and upgrades too now.

I am trying to purchase a 13.5k btu Dometic ac unit. They have a newer one that weighs 70 pounds and will fit between the Bucky solar panels. I'm having a hard time finding it. Argh. I believe I'll start a new thread on that. Perhaps someone here can offer help and advice.

But yes, too much fixing and not nearly enough time underway.

Unfortunately, Dometic has long delivery delays on all their products and they're really the only game in town.

Unfortunately, Dometic has long delivery delays on all their products and they're really the only game in town.

Today, it is official, I too need one new A/C. (compressor went belly up)
Tech came out and confirmed my need. (this could have been accomplished over the phone.)
I asked him to order one for me (12K BTU) Well, there are rules to be followed. I have to wait for an estimate and then my approval and then, the delay time to get the A/C unit will be approximate 1 month to get it. Then, installation process and time to schedule. LOL

Whatever happened to getting my approval while on the boat? Shake hands and start the process.

I know I need one, the tech knows I need one, we could have agree on an estimate right then and there but noooooo, there are rules to be followed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom