Old 12-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #41
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Yes, unbelievably high winds. Here at home in Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, we have been without power for 48 hours (just came back on now), and we are on water rationing (if you can believe it with all of this rain!!!), due to the power outage creating computer problems at the water treatment plant (water supply). No ETA for the water repair.
As far as newbies moving to the PNW (both US and Canada), a morning radio DJ described local boating this way: "Put on the most expensive foul weather gear you can get, go stand in a shower and turn on the water to get it as ice cold as you can, and rip up $100 dollar bills" That will give you a feel for boating in the NW. This quote is from a few years ago, so it is probably $1,000 dollar bills now!
Merry Christmas,
Tom

Old 12-22-2018, 07:15 PM   #42
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
My daughter and hubby are just here from Nanaimo today and she said exactly what you just posted! A real PITA for sure. We lost power for 8 hours but that is all, no water issues.

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #43
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
My daughter and hubby are just here from Nanaimo today and she said exactly what you just posted! A real PITA for sure. We lost power for 8 hours but that is all, no water issues.
Yes, no fun for sure. We were lucky, as I own (used to use it on our former boat, a sailboat) a Honda 2000 generator. I fired that up after it had been sitting for over 3 years and was able to power our fridge and separate freezer. Otherwise, I could have lost a lot of food (stocked up for Christmas)
Anyway, we bought our new to us boat "Pilitak" in late 2016 from a person who moored it in LaConner (at a private dock). Lovely spot (and great boat).
Merry Christmas,
Tom
Old 12-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #44
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
I think I remember that boat Tom. Hope they get it all up and running up there soon. Daughter will be here till after Xmas so its all good.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:21 AM   #45
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
News from Saltspring is much the same. Power is still out, expected to be out for up to a week, barring further storm damage. Boats adrift in Maple Bay saw an RCMSAR tasking during the blast. (Good job guys!).
Old 12-23-2018, 04:15 AM   #46
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Uuhh. Aren't boats and ships made to be out in the weather? OK. Some "toys" need extra protection. Don't boats with tall masts haven't the option of being covered?
Old 12-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Spring City
Vessel Name: interlude
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 43 mk11
Real snotty weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Its all my fault of course. Ever since I moved my boat from covered to open, (less than half the price), it has done nothing but rain, blow or both! Right now its both and for the near future nothing is forecast but rain and wind, lots of it! Just looking at the Nat Weather service report from Seattle and combined waves on the coast are predicted to be near 30' in height in a couple of days! Right now they are in the low 20' range. Both of these conditions are fairly normal for late fall but come on! We have several days of this yet. Of course I keep second guessing myself for moving, it was nice when I did, but here we are. I remember once going thru one of my tugboat skipper dads log books. He was towing logs here on the Sound and had anchored up for this kind of weather. He noted thusly, "rain and wind I tell you Vat!". Yep, another beautiful day in the NW!
At least you won't have the bird and fly sh-t.

yamabuki is offline   Reply With Quote