Really interesting boat security system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that was the toughest one.

I use a contact closure, in essence a door alarm to monitor the alarm output of the link State Of Charge meter which is programmed for 12.5 volts.

If the battery charger goes out, the batteries go to 12 volts, and the SOC METER goes into alarm.

There are a lot of ways to measure battery voltage or charging current but if what you're doing works, there's no reason to change anything.

Actually, I can't resist... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am on another website that is related to rural living and there have been several discussions of incidents where people have been photographed or filmed performing criminal acts and local law enforcement have done NOTHING. There is one guy whose mother's old, but mint condition, car was stolen. He found the car by using up some shoe leather, told the POlice where the car was located and they just did not care. Because the car had sentimental value for his mother he went all out, and in spite of the initial POlice response and insurance issues, he was able to retrieve the car. This was in a large city but the family has lived there for generations and had connections but that barely helped. If he had not be VERY determined to find his mom's car it never would have been found, much less returned.

There have been other incidents discussed in rural areas where the local agency just did not want to bother even when handed the images. :banghead:

Flip side is that even when the agency does do something, what happens in court and with court orders, is a whole other matter. :rolleyes:

Actually.

;):rofl::rofl::rofl:

Later,
Dan(Who Thinks Cameras Are A good Idea)

Actually, I think that if people see an area is monitored with cameras, they are less likely to misbehave(save for what barnacles`s monkey impressions), for fear of being recorded committing the act.

Better increase your liability insurance first. That can get you sued. Big time.

Ironically you could probably shoot them dead if you are aboard and get away with it...but you could get sued if you mace them while not aboard...

What a screwed up system.
Hollywood

Actually, I think that if people see an area is monitored with cameras, they are less likely to misbehave(save for what barnacles`s monkey impressions), for fear of being recorded committing the act.

You don't need real cameras for that.

You don't need real cameras for that.

You are right, actually. :socool::rofl::rofl::rofl:

In our old house, I put stickers, that said we had a security system/cameras, on the house windows and doors. Since we were never robbed, the "signs" most have worked. :lol::lol::lol:

Later,
Dan

A commercial duty local alarm system saved my boat from being completely emptied by a drug addict employed at the yard I was hauled at. The boat was inside and he broke in late at night through a side window. The motion detector saw him and two very loud sirens blew him right out the door. Had the alarm not been armed, he would have come back night after night until he had everything. Fortunately, he's now in jail. For those who want remote notification of different events, here is a very inexpensive GPS tracking alarm system. While it's not made for boats, it's easy to connect a few sensors to monitor your choice of parameters. It will notify you by cell phone of intruders, low battery voltage, if the boat is moved, where it currently is, how fast its going, you can monitor conversations in the boat and even rig it to shut down the motors. I have one in my motor home.

Amazon.com: GPS GPRS SMS Coban Real-time tracker TK103A Quad band SD card slot anti-theft move alarm by SMS: Cell Phones & Accessories

You are right, actually. :socool::rofl::rofl::rofl:

In our old house, I put stickers, that said we had a security system/cameras, on the house windows and doors. Since we were never robbed, the "signs" most have worked. :lol::lol::lol:

Later,
Dan

When I bought my home in 2005, there were ADT stickers on the doors and windows and a sign in the yard. From then to 2014 we had no break ins.

In2014 we were planning a long cruise so we actually signed up with ADT, had the system updated and began paying $45 per month monitoring fee. From then to now we have had no break ins.

What does this prove? Absolutely nothing. Well maybe that our house is in a relatively safe neighborhood.

The rule of thumb for law enforcement in general is..... it is not the punishment that deters crime, it is the inevitability of punishment that does.

Most criminals are dumb...but not so dumb that if they think they are being video taped that they continue without thinking about that video....and maybe reconsider.

Real or fake...video surveillance has proven effective in many areas for many crimes. Certainly not all.... but many.

If you want police to help...a video of the crime with any leads in it is worth...oh ....say... a thousand times more than a statement saying something is missing from my boat/house. If a video doesn't entice some action...file a complaint. Not saying they have to jump on it...but at least it is more likely to lead to something than thin air.

When I bought my home in 2005, there were ADT stickers on the doors and windows and a sign in the yard. From then to 2014 we had no break ins.

In2014 we were planning a long cruise so we actually signed up with ADT, had the system updated and began paying $45 per month monitoring fee. From then to now we have had no break ins.

What does this prove? Absolutely nothing. Well maybe that our house is in a relatively safe neighborhood.

Yes - it's more about the neighborhood.

We also haven't had a break in in the 20 years we've owned the house... - and we have never locked the doors.
I don't worry about the boat either. The keys are in the ignition if anyone wants to take it for a spin. So far, there have been no takers.

If I lived in a place where people could not be trusted, I'd invest in a new neighborhood, rather than alarms, locks and weapons.

Yes - it's more about the neighborhood.

We also haven't had a break in in the 20 years we've owned the house... - and we have never locked the doors.
I don't worry about the boat either. The keys are in the ignition if anyone wants to take it for a spin. So far, there have been no takers.

If I lived in a place where people could not be trusted, I'd invest in a new neighborhood, rather than alarms, locks and weapons.

But you live in Australia. You have no crime. In the USA, we have a significant portion of the population that thinks the government should support them and when it doesn't support them to their level of satisfaction, they steal.

In all but the smallest of cities, neighborhoods degrade over time as the more well to do folks move out to newer neighborhoods and the less well to do move in. If you live in a city and stay in your family home into your seventies or eighties, there's a good chance you're now living in the "hood" (US slang for ghetto).

Back to the boat, When we cruise, we sometimes end up in nice marinas, outside of the cities and or with good security systems, self closing gates, card access, even security staff. On the other hand, we will sometimes end up at a city owned marina or dock in the old riverfront section of town.

Here, you had better lock everything that can be locked and remove or cover everything else. It's a shame, but many folks who believe society has been unfair to them look at us as rich and part of their problem because we own a boat. And some don't think it's wrong to try to even things out by transferring some of our wealth to them.

It's going to be pretty hard to rig cameras to cover our boats while we are traveling and of course if they are obvious, the thieves will probably take the cameras as well.

The rule of thumb for law enforcement in general is..... it is not the punishment that deters crime, it is the inevitability of punishment that does................

You can stop right there, that is the whole problem. In the USA at least, punishment is not inevitable and if there is punishment, it's a long time off. A guy commits a robbery and gets caught by the police. He is released on bail waiting for his court date which may be two or more years in the future. While waiting for his trial, he continues his life of robbery can other crimes.

Two years later he gets a free (to him) lawyer who gets him probation or a suspended sentence. He continues his life of crime. He may be convicted of multiple crimes before he actually gets "punished". Then, he will get paroled a third of the way through his three year sentence.

People in Chicago and Detroit wouldn't be killing each other if they thought punishment was inevitable. They know it's not and even if they do time in prison, it's a badge of honor for people in that society.

I can stop right there....
We are talking theft and breakins, not all crime.

When at Patrick AFB, a guy told me of how many outboards and other stuff he and others had stolen out of the base marina. Good neighborhoods, high fences and armed security are dismissed when people know there isn't a likelyhood of getting caught because where the marina is on base.

Everywhere else on base where security patrols crisscross and there is video surveilance, no crimes.

I will stick with the criminal psychologists assessment.

Last edited:
A local paper "Alleged shooter in Craven Terrace incident out on bail". This is less than 24 hours after the alleged incident. It was in the hood (two blocks from two nice marinas though), not his first "offense" and I will bet dollars for donuts he wasn't home studying for his GED last night. No fear of consequences. In all fairness the marinas have security but when we go there we do too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom