Old 10-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #101
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
That is certainly a possibility. There are tons of details like what to do with the current house and belongings. TBH, i don’t think we can (or want to) afford to keep the Cary house (and I doubt we could rent it short term) and afford to stay in a $20+/ft marina in FL.

You know... those kind of details :-)
Renting from distance is often difficult, but with the right rental management company handling it for you is possible. Could be an initial strategy, then sell when more sure of the move.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:12 PM   #102
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Renting from distance is often difficult, but with the right rental management company handling it for you is possible. Could be an initial strategy, then sell when more sure of the move.

We have a friend in the business that we could rely on to manage the property if needed. :-)
Old 10-30-2017, 04:21 PM   #103

City: Alexander
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
I won't tell the OP to avoid SE Florida but I will tell him my experiences and why I won't move back. It is not a presumption how he will feel but since the OP has lived in NC for years moving to SE Florida can be culture shock. I really miss the Cuban food and other great restaurants in SE Florida. There really is a lack of good restaurants up here, especially in Cary compared to SE Florida. I had lots of really nice, family owned "ethic" restaurants where I used to live in SE Florida which I do miss. Cary is a vast wasteland in comparison.

I lived in multiple places in Palm Beach and Broward counties. Worked In Dade, Palm Beach, Broward counties as well as over to Fort Myers and Naples. I suspect you live in a very nice part of SE Florida and not worked with the public like I did. I lived in nice areas to slum areas. Honestly, not much difference in crime or rudeness in either areas.

I have lived from close to I95 to out "west" well past the turnpike.

Rudeness is not speech patterns. One of the things I noticed in SE Florida was going to the gas station. This was back in the day where you had to go inside to pay and the clerks acted like they were doing you a favor to take your money to pay for the gas. The people in the gas stations in SW Florida was nice and polite. Night and day difference. Rudeness was a common topic of conversation when I lived down there. Never seen anything like it before or since.

A family member traveled to NYC on business back then and was surprised that people up there were polite unlike the New Yorker's in SE Florida. He was talking to a guy up there about this, and the New Yorker said they ship the rude a....hats to Florida. Decades later, we were flying out of one of the New York airports and had great service and politeness. Figured that guy was right and the rude people where shipped to FLA. As a surprising aside, the rudest people we have seen at airports have been at LAX and SeaTac. Go figure.

There are areas here in NC that are not so nice to go into but I drive through them without much concern. There are areas in South Florida that going into is a major risk and I would not drive through at all. When I lived in SE Florida there were fairly constant reports of tourists or Snow Birds driving into these areas by mistake or ignorance and getting robbed or worse. Heck, I remember one of the news readers getting robbed when she was doing the zig zag to get on I95 from downtown Miami.

At one apartment, one afternoon, I heard a knock on the door. Got up and looked through the peep hole. Nobody there so I sat back down. Another knock on the door and so I looked out the door to see nobody. Sit down and it repeats but this time I stand and keep looking out the peep hole. After a bit I see a deputy leaning out from cover and concealment at which point I open the door to chat with him. He has on a domestic violence call and got the correct apartment number but wrong building. Domestic violence happens anywhere so this is not about DV... But it was the first time I knowingly had it going on near me. Has not happened since either.

Now, why was I not opening the door in the first place? Well there was a Jamaican drug dealer living next door. I will skip all the crap going on with that guy but I felt carrying a shotgun from room to room in my apartment was a prudent thing to do. If one lived on the other side of the road, it was a really nice area. Not so much where I was living. The people living over at the gate golf course community were not having these experiences even though they were maybe 1,000 feet away.

Thankfully, my lease was soon up and I moved to a nice city, kinda like Cary. Of course lots of bad stuff happens in Cary but they suppress that information but that is another story. In the new city I moved too, in a nice area, we had problems with neighbors using drugs, to some nut calling me by mistake thinking I was at his Ex's house and threatening to come beat my a..., and the best one was early one morning when some lady started yelling at some man to put down the machine gun. Fun watching the PD roll in on that call.

I have lived in quite a few places but SE Florida was the most "interesting."

Maybe SE Florida has gotten better. I don't read about planes landing in the 'glades full of drugs or about square groupers floating up on the beaches. Heck, when I was working on a horse ranch, I saw two twin engine planes flying just above tree top with the engines fire walled and heading west. We assumed one was the drug runner and the other was the Federale's but they both could have been carrying. Maybe the drugs are gone and the law enforcement corruption has stopped too. Got stories about that as well.

Flip side is that a few years ago we drove through on I95 through one of the towns I used to live and I was shocked at the gang tagging on highway signs and walls. That was NOT there when I or my family lived in town.

The OP needs to spend some time in the area he wants to live/work. I would also start reading the local papers, and now a days, check to see if the sheriff and police departments publish crime maps.

Later,

Dan

Yep, miss the Cuban food. About all.
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #104
Guru

You and your wife need to really sit down and weigh all the pros and cons. You are dealing with a job available potentially in a more expensive area and a lot of uncertainty versus staying where you are with the uncertainty of not having a job. You have to weigh a lot of what-if's such as what if the job doesn't work out and what if you can't find a job in Cary. How do you feel about moving from the area you've always lived in. How long you can go without a job in NC and what is the likelihood of finding something where you are. What if the job in FL didn't work out, where then would you want to be.

Many would say just go for it. I'm not one of those many. I would say trust your instincts and "when in doubt, don't." If you have reservations trust them. Also, if you and your wife go in having serious doubts, not truly comfortable with the decision, you may just be creating a self fulfilling prophecy.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #105
Guru

One other possibility. Don't move initially. Don't even move the boat at first. Rent a small apartment or room and test things first before uprooting yourself and wife.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #106
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
One other possibility. Don't move initially. Don't even move the boat at first. Rent a small apartment or room and test things first before uprooting yourself and wife.
Thought about this too!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #107

City: Monroe Twp
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
Are there any crime statistics while on the water....hint...,
NewbieFromNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:04 PM   #108

City: Miami, FL
Vessel Name: Mermaid Life
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Dockage in Miami is going to be harder to find than it was a couple of months ago. My marina is operating on a limited basis and is not expected to be fully open again for several months, at least. We have to re-power and re-plumb and then rebuild the finger piers. The marina next door is not slated to re-open until mid 2019. Miami lost a lot of dockage with Irma. Dockage here is expensive, too. I think mine is about $26/foot/month, and I’m in the cheapest place I could find. We are also primed for a 100%, or more, increase in insurance premiums next year. Back to paying five figures a year for insurance. Not looking forward to that.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #109
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
As someone who has lived on both coasts of Florida (now Jupiter north of West Palm beach and Anna Maria Island/Bradenton south of St. Pete in the 90's) I prefer living on the West Coast. I prefer boating on the East Coast. Moved to SFL after 7 years in Manhattan about 6 years ago. Rented for a year in Hollywood Florida which is in-between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. A year was enough of that nonsense. Moved as far north as I could and still get to my Fort Lauderdale office most days. The further north you go on this coast the more "normal" it gets.

One thing not talked about is the business environment. Give me NYC business any day of the week. Especially when talking about Miami. My experience with Miami has been that it is a cesspool of under the table, scratch my back I scratch yours, back stabbing, low lifes in the business world. Don't know what business you are in but that's what it is all about down there. somewhat better in Fort Lauderdale. That and cheaper is better. Want to sell your product/service? Just come in cheaper. Alll you need to do. Quality is irreleevant. Just my opinion though. but one formed through working in the major markets on both coasts.

Someone mentioned staying north of West Palm and I completely agree. Jupiter, Port St. Lucie, Vero, Melbourne, etc. Housing very reasonable and some nice areas and dock space for $10-$14 not a problem.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #110
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
As someone who has lived on both coasts of Florida (now Jupiter north of West Palm beach and Anna Maria Island/Bradenton south of St. Pete in the 90's) I prefer living on the West Coast. I prefer boating on the East Coast. Moved to SFL after 7 years in Manhattan about 6 years ago. Rented for a year in Hollywood Florida which is in-between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. A year was enough of that nonsense. Moved as far north as I could and still get to my Fort Lauderdale office most days. The further north you go on this coast the more "normal" it gets.

One thing not talked about is the business environment. Give me NYC business any day of the week. Especially when talking about Miami. My experience with Miami has been that it is a cesspool of under the table, scratch my back I scratch yours, back stabbing, low lifes in the business world. Don't know what business you are in but that's what it is all about down there. somewhat better in Fort Lauderdale. That and cheaper is better. Want to sell your product/service? Just come in cheaper. Alll you need to do. Quality is irreleevant. Just my opinion though. but one formed through working in the major markets on both coasts.

Someone mentioned staying north of West Palm and I completely agree. Jupiter, Port St. Lucie, Vero, Melbourne, etc. Housing very reasonable and some nice areas and dock space for $10-$14 not a problem.

Good post too. Thanks, Mr. Base.
(Or are we on a first name basis)
Old 11-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #111
Guru

First name basis, absolutely! If you would like to discuss over the phone I would be happy to do so. Been there done that up and down both coasts so can maybe answer any questions you have. Just PM me and I will send my phone number. Happy to do it. Right now you would be loving it down here as the hot is gone and it is now our time of year. Open up the house, let the breeze take over....what we moved here for and it will go straight through until late spring. Awesome!
Old 11-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #112
Guru

Quote:

As a couple owning businesses in all three counties of South Florida we don't have those issues at all. Perhaps it's the type business or perhaps just that we won't deal with people like that.

Now as to the OP, his job is based on the company's location and that is probably based on the number of conventions and convention centers. Miami comes out very well in that field.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #113
Guru

Quote:
As a couple owning businesses in all three counties of South Florida we don't have those issues at all. Perhaps it's the type business or perhaps just that we won't deal with people like that.

Now as to the OP, his job is based on the company's location and that is probably based on the number of conventions and convention centers. Miami comes out very well in that field.
My apologies for the broad stoke review as you do run very fine businesses and are a credit to all three counties and yes there are many others as well. Most of my heartburn is because many of my clients are the major property management companies and BOMA (Building Owners and Managers Assoc.) types who I find...off putting... and very much a clique. I have found the same with some other types of corporations outside this particular market segment as well. On more than one occasion I have been told very bluntly how I can grow my business footprint with them and as a large global company traded on the stock market we just don't bow to that type of pressure to add business. Insider pricing shenanigans on bids, numerous criminal investigations and arrest due to business practices, etc. Just not a nice place...in MY business. Your mileage may vary as they say!! I will say that some of the marine oriented companies I have dealt with are top notch and of incredible quality.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:36 PM   #114
Guru

Quote:
My apologies for the broad stoke review as you do run very fine businesses and are a credit to all three counties and yes there are many others as well. Most of my heartburn is because many of my clients are the major property management companies and BOMA (Building Owners and Managers Assoc.) types who I find...off putting... and very much a clique. I have found the same with some other types of corporations outside this particular market segment as well. On more than one occasion I have been told very bluntly how I can grow my business footprint with them and as a large global company traded on the stock market we just don't bow to that type of pressure to add business. Insider pricing shenanigans on bids, numerous criminal investigations and arrest due to business practices, etc. Just not a nice place...in MY business. Your mileage may vary as they say!! I will say that some of the marine oriented companies I have dealt with are top notch and of incredible quality.
No apology necessary. It's what you've encountered. We haven't. When I worked in the major corporate world I saw it all taking place. Fortunately, I worked for a company that said no. I once had a huge television show up on a plant manager's porch. He called me and I gave the Japanese firm (wanting to be a supplier) that sent it one hour to pick it up if they ever wanted us to consider them. They asked how did I expect them to do that. I told them they were wasting time, they got it there, take it away. There's a very famous real estate developer and hotel and resort owner we refused to sell too. His people told me that he would be calling my boss. I said he was welcome to but when told who my boss was I didn't think it likely he would. My boss and I did have a good laugh about it. He repeatedly refused to pay vendors bills in full.

I remember a day around 1992 when a friend who worked for an apparel company in NY called me to tell me the FBI was there and they came in with guns drawn and aimed. At one time she had two armed agents walk into her office. They raided at least 7 NY companies that day and many owners were subsequently arrested for customs violations. (Chinese good shipping through another country and being marked as originating in that country which had quota available).

When I was young I was advised that employees could buy the company's stock if we wanted but they didn't advise it as we had it in our retirement plan and if the company made any acquisition or sold any division and we had purchased in the 60 days prior that company policy was we had to rescind the purchase even if we knew nothing.

Not surprised at all what you encountered in the industries you're in.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #115
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Both my grandparents lived in Miami since the '20's; both my parents born in Miami. I had a tremendous amount of family there. 1st and second cousins on both sides. They loved it. First grandad/mom got chased out by a shotgun wielding person at their front door (NW5th ave) in the early '70's. All the cousins left. Went to deltona, cooper city, palm bay, lantana, all still FL, but ZERO now in M-D county.
great food though....
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote