Old 06-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #1

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: La Bella Vita
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Summer Haul out

WOW! That sounds weird. Living on Long Island my whole life, I couldn't wait until the summer boating season. I retired and moved to PGI, Fl in January 2018. This is my first boat in Fl. and my first season with this boat. I need to haul it and paint the bottom and such things. Down here summer is the time to do that.
I'm new to the area. There seems to be a limited number of marina's that look competent and have newer equipment. I went to a marina very close to me and it looked like a refugee camp. Derelict boats, people living on the hard, rusted out jack stands, a travel lift that looked like it would collapse under the 20,000 lbs my boat would load onto it.

I did find a marina that has all the right stuff, but it's a 45 minute drive from my home. The Punta Gorda Marina is right up the street and has great equipment and staff, but you can't even go on your boat, never mind changing your own oil.

Anyone have a reputable marina in the Fisherman's Village area? I want the option of doing my own work. At least the oil changes. Maybe, that's a BIG maybe, paint the bottom. I have done some outdoor work here recently and OMG it's HOT! So, I may just open the wallet?

Thank you
Buddy
La Bella Vita
PGI
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
The three you mentioned directly and indirectly near PG: Punta Gorda Marina, Riviera Marina (I wouldn't go there either) and maybe Gasparilla Marina (and it doesn't have much land storage room and probably don't allow DIY) are about it close to PG.

Another possibility for a DIY yard is Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage. But they don't do any work, just haul and block on land. You get there by going through a lock off of the Myakka River and then following the canal around to it.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #3

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: La Bella Vita
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Yeah. I didn't want to bad mouth anyone, but Riviera is a NO-GO.
I have heard of Gasparrila. I looked at Safe Cove as well. They seem very good, but like I said it's a 45 min. drive. Thanks for your input.

One guy up here goes all the way to Ft. Myers to store his boat. I guess things could be worse, I could live in a place with a real short boating season and it rains thru 1/2 of it. (Oh yeah, I did live in a place like that.)
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote