Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2018, 02:56 AM   #41
Member
 
Arafura II's Avatar
 
City: Coomera
Vessel Model: Barry Hughes Millcraft custom timber cruiser
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 20
Gmail has already marked it as spam as I found it already in my spam folder
Arafura II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
La Mer's Avatar
 
City: West Med
Vessel Name: La Mer
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 126
All this for a simple newsletter to stay up-to-date with recent posts, this was a lot of fuss about nothing harming or dangerous.

Email newsletter are effective for building or consolidating an online community. Social Knowledge LLC to which the TrawlerForum belongs is not a Non Profit Organization. Even it's free to join, it's a privately owned company what, like any business, must also ensure its economic viability.

It's simply not enough to hope that members will gravitate to a site organically then a newsletter may play an active role in site traffic by generating more activity. Indeed the goal of newsletter is to get readers active on a social media site.

I have only been here for one week but after reading most of the posts of the Welcome Mat section, I see that only a few new members return to follow-up posting. However, to build customer loyalty is a key part of any business plan targets and one of the first basic need for viability of a community. A newsletter may be one of the least expensive means to provide a way of strengthening durable communication between this forum and its members, and in knowing about one another of the members. Nothing new there, the low cost and relative ease of creating an email newsletter means that most groups, yacht clubs, golf clubs and associations of civil society use newsletters most frequently.

Since it was just an internal level information to registered members, I do not think that our computers' safety has been compromised, I think that at no time our personal data were at risk, no breach of privacy, it seems that no private information have been shared, sold or given out to a third party. Then I would say this, however, Do not over-dramatise!

Also I have been surprised to read that some, not all, of the most active members were the first to complain about the newsletter although they should be the most prominent defenders of the sustained durability and the long term continuing support of this forum. Just my thoughts.
La Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #43
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mer View Post
All this for a simple newsletter to stay up-to-date with recent posts, this was a lot of fuss about nothing harming or dangerous.

Email newsletter are effective for building or consolidating an online community. Social Knowledge LLC to which the TrawlerForum belongs is not a Non Profit Organization. Even it's free to join, it's a privately owned company what, like any business, must also ensure its economic viability.

It's simply not enough to hope that members will gravitate to a site organically then a newsletter may play an active role in site traffic by generating more activity. Indeed the goal of newsletter is to get readers active on a social media site.

I have only been here for one week but after reading most of the posts of the Welcome Mat section, I see that only a few new members return to follow-up posting. However, to build customer loyalty is a key part of any business plan targets and one of the first basic need for viability of a community. A newsletter may be one of the least expensive means to provide a way of strengthening durable communication between this forum and its members, and in knowing about one another of the members. Nothing new there, the low cost and relative ease of creating an email newsletter means that most groups, yacht clubs, golf clubs and associations of civil society use newsletters most frequently.

Since it was just an internal level information to registered members, I do not think that our computers' safety has been compromised, I think that at no time our personal data were at risk, no breach of privacy, it seems that no private information have been shared, sold or given out to a third party. Then I would say this, however, Do not over-dramatise!

Also I have been surprised to read that some, not all, of the most active members were the first to complain about the newsletter although they should be the most prominent defenders of the sustained durability and the long term continuing support of this forum. Just my thought.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts
__________________
Alan
Skype roatan63
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #44
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mer View Post
All this for a simple newletter to stay up-to-date with recent posts, this was a lot of fuss about nothing harming or dangerous.

Email newsletter are effective for building or consolidating an online community. Social Knowledge LLC to which the TrawlerForum belongs is not a Non Profit Organization. Even it's free to join, it's a privately owned company what, like any business, must also ensure its economic viability.

It's simply not enough to hope that members will gravitate to a site organically then a newsletter may play an active role in site traffic by generating more activity. Indeed the goal of newsletter is to get readers active on a social media site.

I have only been here for one week but after reading most of the posts of the Welcome Mat section, I see that only a few new members return to follow-up posting. However, to build customer loyalty is a key part of any business plan targets and one of the first basic need for viability of a community. A newsletter may be one of the least expensive means to provide a way of strengthening durable communication between this forum and its members, and in knowing about one another of the members. Nothing new there, the low cost and relative ease of creating an email newsletter means that most groups, yacht clubs, golf clubs and associations of civil society use newsletters most frequently.

Since it was just an internal level information to registered members, I do not think that our computers' safety has been compromised, I think that at no time our personal data were at risk, no breach of privacy, it seems that no private information have been shared, sold or given out to a third party. Then I would say this, however, Do not over-dramatise!

Also I have been surprised to read that some, not all, of the most active members were the first to complain about the newsletter although they should be the most prominent defenders of the sustained durability and the long term continuing support of this forum. Just my thought.
Well spank our many years community Butts, Mr. Newbie!


Yes, you have only been here for one week. Settle in, get to know us. We are a pretty nice bunch of regular contributors and we do look out for one another - in more ways than one!

I was not concerned for myself regarding virus or other items... my IT guys take care of that crap. My inquiry for being OP on this thread was simply to find out if the email was real or fake; e.g. from TF top end or from some hacker org... such as I've seen infiltrate other marine-minded websites.

What I don't appreciate is junk mail... from any person or organization, be they cool or corrupt. Far as I'm concerned to put another piece of email on my screen with same items I already know about is "junk"... be it harmless or not.

I have three businesses that rely considerably on email communications.

TF is the one website to which I often interact, using it as a decompression-tool when my mind begins to go bonkers over business matters. Being that "boats and boating" is my recreational passion the really well rounded cadre of steadfast TF members have become my electronic-marine-friends during the last seven years. Figured that seeing the email being discussed may or may not be harmful - I began this thread to warn and/or work with TF members to whom I've become "electronic-internet" well acquainted.

I'm glad to hear that the email in discussion is not from a hacker, but, rather from TF HQ. Nuff said!

PS: Your GB looks good on high plane in avatar. That must be WOT or nearly at least... what's your gph at that speed?

Welcome to TF - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #45
Guru
 
City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 512
My guess is that the active participation in the forum as a percent of “members” is low, so the email is to generate traffic. What reason for that- will have to unfold
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #46
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarr View Post
My guess is that the active participation in the forum as a percent of “members” is low, so the email is to generate traffic. What reason for that- will have to unfold
Pretty simple reason - I think? Not too many boat owners feel like conversation. Don't know how many revisit without posting once becoming a member. Advertisers want more.... always more!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #47
Guru
 
Woodland Hills's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,548
Gee Wizz people, we are guests in somebody else's house. We might have made a few contributions towards fixing up the place, but we aren't paying rent and the owner is letting us squat for free. If he wants to put up some ads on the wall of our meeting room, so what? And if he wants to try and send me junk mail at home, we so does everyone else, what's the big deal? Just toss it in the trash along with the rest.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
La Mer's Avatar
 
City: West Med
Vessel Name: La Mer
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

That must be WOT or nearly at least... what's your gph at that speed?

Welcome to TF - Art
Thanks for the welcome.

Twin 3208TA Caterpillar 8 cylinders rated 375 HP each.
WOT = 2750 RPM with a clean hull which allows a top speed of 17 knots in dead calm sea.
No idea of GPH at WOT since I don’t cruise that fast.

My cruising speed is usually 15.5 knots at 2400 RPM (85% of WOT) 20 GPH by each engine still with a clean hull, according to my records.

Idle 675 RPM 5.5 knots which is a little too fast.
La Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #49
Guru
 
City: Sydney
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mer View Post
Thanks for the welcome.

Twin 3208TA Caterpillar 8 cylinders rated 375 HP each.
WOT = 2750 RPM with a clean hull which allows a top speed of 17 knots in dead calm sea.
No idea of GPH at WOT since I don’t cruise that fast.

My cruising speed is usually 15.5 knots at 2400 RPM (85% of WOT) 20 GPH by each engine still with a clean hull, according to my records.

Idle 675 RPM 5.5 knots which is a little too fast.





What is your favorite Pizza ?
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #50
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
What is your favorite Pizza ?
??? ???
__________________
My boat is my ark. It's my mobile treehouse and my floating fishing cabin. It's my retreat and my respite. Everyday I thank God I have a boat! -Al FJB

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
La Mer's Avatar
 
City: West Med
Vessel Name: La Mer
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
What is your favorite Pizza ?

A classic margherita pizza at La Disfida in Haberfield, my favorite Napoli style in Sydney.
La Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
La Mer's Avatar
 
City: West Med
Vessel Name: La Mer
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
??? ???

Same here !
As a newbie I can understand that the Forum may administer aptitude tests to better understand the candidate's level in various domains but some questions seem to be strange
La Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #53
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mer View Post
Same here !
As a newbie I can understand that the Forum may administer aptitude tests to better understand the candidate's level in various domains but some questions seem to be strange
Many are not comedians... but they keep trying!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
La Mer's Avatar
 
City: West Med
Vessel Name: La Mer
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Many are not comedians... but they keep trying!
No problem. It was funny . The only way to survive is to have a sense of humour.
La Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #55
Guru
 
City: Sydney
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mer View Post
A classic margherita pizza at La Disfida in Haberfield, my favorite Napoli style in Sydney.







LOL. La Disfida we were there on Friday night and every second Friday We love there truffled white anchovies And would you believe the best Japanese restaurant in Sydney is next door .
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:48 PM   #56
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,421
Greetings,
Re: OP...Is this real? Well it was until post #'s 49, 51 and 55. Now, it's approaching....Wait for it....




__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #57
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Re: OP...Is this real? Well it was until post #'s 49, 51 and 55. Now, it's approaching....Wait for it....




Everything will be alright. Relax and trust us. Nothing will go wrong.

You will thank us later for the free email.









You're welcome.
__________________
My boat is my ark. It's my mobile treehouse and my floating fishing cabin. It's my retreat and my respite. Everyday I thank God I have a boat! -Al FJB

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:43 PM   #58
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,421
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:21 AM   #59
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,047
RTF and Rod - - - >

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #60
TF Site Team
 
Andy R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 161
Sorry for not sending a notice out before launching the newsletters. You are right, that would have been a better way to inform the community of what these are. We are a small business and often loaded with more tasks than we have time for in the day.

Getting the newsletters out was important because it brings members back. When more members come back to the site, we can foster a more vibrant community. When the community is more vibrant it's more appealing to join. Nowadays with Facebook and other social media options, we have to try harder to compete.

There was a bug in the unsubscribe process. It's now working. So if you do not want the newsletter, just click the unsubscribe link. You can also uncheck the box in the User Control Panel >> Options page (link) that says "Receive Email from Our Community".

Sorry for any confusion about these and thanks for your patience as we refine and work out the kinks in the newsletter system.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012