Old 08-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Re-upholstering Settee

We are trying to decide which upholstery fabrics to use on our settee. The upholsterer says figure 16 yards of fabric so we need to choose the right cloth.
Sun-brella and micro-fiber has been recommended, we are wondering if anyone has re-upholstered, how the fabric is holding up, and lessens learned.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I haven't done a lot of upholstery but have bought some materials from these suppliers and have been pleased.
You can find some bargains to consider on both sites

My experience is Sunbrella is much pricier than similar fabrics that wear as well - maybe not the assortment of patterns but look at other materials.
It's interior so you need to decide whether you want / need protection from moisture / wet suits etc or not - if not many good upholstery fabrics might work. Microfiber looks great and wears & cleans well.

Rockford Supply

TOTO Fabrics
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We did very extensive reupholstery on our Hatteras 56MY using Sunbrella and Sunbrella-like upholstery fabrics, interior and exterior... virtually every upholstered item on the boat. Like many things, the quality of the work itself is every bit as important as the fabric. We lived aboard full time for several of those years and used the boat and entertained extensively for a few more.

Both of us were delighted with the choice. Ann for the look and feel, me for the stain resistance and ease of cleaning. Good fire retardant properties as well, which through my own stupidity inadvertently put to the test once with a halogen lamp.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #4
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
We are trying to decide which upholstery fabrics to use on our settee. The upholsterer says figure 16 yards of fabric so we need to choose the right cloth.
Sun-brella and micro-fiber has been recommended, we are wondering if anyone has re-upholstered, how the fabric is holding up, and lessens learned.
Thanks
What ever you choose in my mind needs to be washable/cleanable. Does micro fibre qualify?
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #5

City: Port, Macedon NY
Vessel Name: Patience
Vessel Model: Maple Bay 27'
Yes micro fiber is very washable. I have reupholstered many items in micro fiber and I much prefer it over sunbrella when the piece is indoors. Sunbrella can feel a bit too "outdoorsy" if you know what I mean.
I think anywhere in a boat that leather or vinyl was used you could use microfiber easily.
Plus I think it should be about half ( or even less) the price of sunbrella
Aquafarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:07 PM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Microfiber gets my vote.

Bought a click-klack couch that fit perfectly, covered with microfiber.

As a liveaboard with a dog lying against it and a crew that uses it 24/7...it remains unstained even by red wine or anything else, and is wearing like iron.

Looks new after 5 years.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #7

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
We have re-upholstered two different boats...

The first time we went with new foam and microfiber fabric with vinyl bottoms. Loved the fabric, the foam was way too firm and uncomfortable.

The second time we went with standard upholstery fabric with vinyl bottoms, and kept the original foam. This time it was much more comfortable, and any soft spots are firmed up with batting.

If we do it again (a project I'm not afraid of tackling again), I'd go with microfiber. If I need to replace the foam, I'd be a bit more particular about the density.
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:13 PM   #8

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
we had all our saloon and wheelhouse house squabs recovered in microfiber (indigo) about two years ago and are very happy with the result. The fabric is comfortable, hard-wearing, washable (we just use Spray and Wipe) and seems to be fairly fade resistant. The previous fabric faded and broke down in the sunlight particularly in the wheelhouse where the windows are not tinted. We now have covers for the top edges when the boat is on the marina. Strongly recommend microfiber.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
Guru

Interesting. We replaced microfiber in several places.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 08-22-2016, 08:50 PM   #10

City: Magothy River, MD
Vessel Name: Sabrina
Vessel Model: '85 KK36 Manatee
I'm a microfiber fan. Cleans easily and feels good.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #11
Guru

Thanks everyone, we checked out a friends settee they had re-upholstered in micro fiber and think that will be our choice. They also commented about how easy it cleans ( spilt wine) and it's comfy feel.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #12
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
So where is everyone purchasing their microfibre? What kind of brand names should I be looking for?
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #13

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
So where is everyone purchasing their microfibre? What kind of brand names should I be looking for?
We just bought ours at JoAnnes fabric. Just the basic stuff, and then Scotchguard'd it when we were done.
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #14
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
For an extensive presentation of available fabrics for all applications, request the 3/8" thick Sailrite catalog. I was amazed at how extensive their offerings were.
Good to have if only for reference..(for instance I discovered my 12yr old cockpit cover was a material called Weblon Regatta which I'd not heard of..)
Old 08-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Try the Toto link I posted above for upholstery material and Rockford for "canvas" / Sunbrella or equivalents or mesh. I've had good luck w/ both.

Rockford frequently has 2nds very reasonable and little in the way of defects... great way to get goinf w/ that new machine of yours
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #16
Guru

Northern Spy, we found our Micro-fiber suede at a local fabric store. No brand name / mfg on the bolt or backing.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #17
Guru

This is what ours looks like, for reference it was $13.99 a yard. Upholsterer gets it next week, I'll post photos of the finished settee when it completed.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #18
Guru

I think a lot of people think of SunBrella in terms of the canvas used for bimini tops and boat covers or exterior seating. They (and their competition) also produce softer fine fabrics for interior use. Such as the chair to the left as well as the sofa in this pic:

Or the backs of the dinette seats and soffette above the wind in this:

People were always surprised when we told them what it was.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
From pics and comments, what is termed "microfiber" seems like "alacantra" sold here, which I call "fake suede". We reupholstered with it in a mid-dark green textured fabric, about 5 years ago, it wears well and looks near new.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #20

City: Port, Macedon NY
Vessel Name: Patience
Vessel Model: Maple Bay 27'
One of my favorite sources for microfiber or ultra suede (which is a thicker, pricier cousin) is Fabric Guru ( they are also a great source for Sunbrella and canvas)
Microfiber Suedecloth Upholstery Fabric - Discount Microfiber Suedecloth Upholstery Fabric - FabricGuru.com
Aquafarm is offline   Reply With Quote