Re-PlatingHardware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCDC

Vessel Name
Stella
Vessel Make
Seaton 56
Anyone tried to have hardware re-plated? I have older door lock sets and refrigerator/freezer latches and hinges which have some corrosion and abrasion. Might be easier to refinish than finding and fitting replacements.

Thanks for any providing any experiences.

Attachments

• B88ABFEB-92D1-430C-B616-04A3323CC7C1.jpg
    B88ABFEB-92D1-430C-B616-04A3323CC7C1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 43B46003-49F9-4B81-988E-08389F07B539.jpg
    43B46003-49F9-4B81-988E-08389F07B539.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 14
I was looking for the same thing several years ago. Not very many places do chrome plating or so I was told. Found a place in Houston that would do it but I finally just polished the parts and left it at that.

I replated some window pieces. Would be careful with lock parts. Playing is high. Look for a furniture or lamp played.

Anyone tried to have hardware re-plated? I have older door lock sets and refrigerator/freezer latches and hinges which have some corrosion and abrasion. Might be easier to refinish than finding and fitting replacements.

Thanks for any providing any experiences.

I had all the removable parts from the windlass on my last boat re-chromed in Seattle. Very reasonable and they did a great job. The folks that do this work focus on the auto trade so look in the custom car market and you will, I am sure find some local platers.

For small parts like that, you might consider getting a kit from Caswell and doing it yourself.

They have a couple of electroplating kits designed to use other metals to look like chrome plating-- without any hazardous fumes, as well as an actual chrome plating kit with a simple way of containing fumes, and one designed for the case of someone with a fumes hood.

https://caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/chrome-plating-kits.html

The plating bits are pretty fast. Like painting, the prep work can take time, e.g. cleaning up the parts.

We had all our interior door hardware re-plated on one of our boats. About 1/2 came out ok. The other half should have been replaced. The base metal was too pitted after the shop prepped it and the finish was not factory smooth. It was also a lot of work since every lock set had to be completely disassembled. When. It came time to put everything back together, some of the tolerances were off just a little. Would we do it again? Probably, only because, as you mentioned, the difficulty in finding replacements.

Hemmings Motor News always has platers listed in services section. Let us know how you do.

We have re-chromed light bases, helm wheels, air scoops, door latches, plumbing fixtures, valve covers, etc. The results when re-chroming bronze/brass are excellent; steel (valve covers) can be good or bad, depends on the condition of the underlying steel; re-chromed zinc based metals (cheap lights and Morse throttle control levers) will look great for a while then start re-pitting. The best work is done by shops that support auto restorers, hot rodders and motorcylists. It is expensive, just paid $300 to have a 20 inch bronze helm wheel re-chromed.

Back
Top Bottom