Old 01-25-2015, 04:08 AM   #1

City: Portland
New layout I've not seen before

The kitchen is directly at the entrance from the cockpit. Everyone seems to have the same layout in the boats I'm looking at, and then I find this Nova Scotian built beauty. I'm not ready to pull the trigger sadly, but I'd like to know what y'all think.

2005 AF Theriault & Sons Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

-Dubnuh
Dubnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Dubnuh, I'm not a trawler owner, nor am I any kind of an expert on trawlers, but I must say that boat is probably one of the nicest trawlers I've ever seen.

The layout wouldn't be my first choice, but I think to have that boat I'd put aside my dislikes of that layout and go with it. My preference in layout would be for a galley further forward so there isn't so much foot traffic through the galley when the cook is working. But that certainly would not keep me from owning that boat.

I looked at all the photos and I think it's one of the best designed boats I've seen in that size range.

What's not to like about it?
Old 01-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
OMG I am in love, now if I only had a spare $625K.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
I don't think I would be stretching it to say that I have had this ship on my screen 100 times over the last three years. These one offs make me nervous but this one is quite compelling. Galley is very far aft as you say and pilothouse very far forward and high which I have been more concerned about. Could be lots of motion up there when it gets lumpy. Still, so many very cool things about this boat that I never really shake it. I hope someone takes it soon to put me out of my misery.
Any of the NA types have a comment on this hull shape?
Old 01-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Couldn't possibly consider it. How could you consider a one off with a Bruce clone and Fortress anchors.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I'm not sure if I like it, or if I don't. I have very mixed feelings about the layout of the salon and galley.

Other parts of the boats layout...

Well there are things I really like about it, and things I really do not like about it. I certainly do not share the passion that others have expressed.

First, I love the pilothouse. I like the fact that the access to the forward cabins is not through the pilothouse. This makes for a full width helm station. On the flip side this also makes all the staterooms except the forward one giving up width for a companionway. What I do not like about the pilothouse is the location of it. In a head sea that pilothouse will have allot more motion than a pilothouse further aft.

I love the stand up engine room. The challenge is that this comes with a price. In this case and the case with almost any 50' boat is that they had to raise the salon/galley deck in order to accommodate the stand up engine room height, but that is a trade off. What it does do is add height to the boat. What I do not like about the engine room is that in general VEE drives create a situation where the shaft packing is difficult to reach. I did not see from the photos but this is a real concern.

Overall a nicely executed boat. I am a bit concerned that with only 1140 gallons of fuel capacity, and twin engines, can this boat make the hawaii crossing? And, no i have not made any calculations, it was just an afterthought.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
I like the hull, I don't like the Portugese bridge in front of the forward swept windows, you have no headroom. The anchor system was an afterthought, I don't like the exposed flying bridge, don't like the silly table which blocks access to the seating area in the wheelhouse, don't like the wraparound wheelhouse sitting for the driver, I wonder about the flat plate behind the rudders which might affect maneuvering... Don't like the bunks. Love the bow, think the inside finishing is unimaginative, don't like the lines on the transom. I hate gate valves.

I really wanted to like her, but the more I looked at the photos, the less I saw that I liked. I'm sure that will break a lot of hearts. I can't afford her anyway.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnuh View Post
The kitchen is directly at the entrance from the cockpit. Everyone seems to have the same layout in the boats I'm looking at, and then I find this Nova Scotian built beauty. I'm not ready to pull the trigger sadly, but I'd like to know what y'all think.

-Dubnuh
It's been a popular choice on some of the larger Italian sedan boats to put the galley just inside the cockpit sliding doors; you can then access the galley from outside in good weather, as well as from inside when it's raining.

The new tri-fold type doors open up completely and swing back against the superstructure to allow total access to the work top surface.

Very handy when you're dinning 'al fresco'!
Old 01-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Here's a Ferreti (I think) with this layout.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #10
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I love it. The difference of the position of the pilothouse is miniscule compare to one farther aft- I wouldn't consider it a detriment at all.
The anchor pulpit another good feature in my opinion, If you use all chain. I would worry about soft line chafing on the pulpit. I do like how it gets the anchor away from the hull paint.

Aft galley I can take it or leave it.

Many don't like steel construction but I'm very comfortable with it and this Canadian
builder is known for quality construction.
All in all I think it is a great boat at a good price.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #11
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Personally, I don't like fly bridges so I'm not crazy about that one. It wouldn't turn me off.
Many don't like steel construction but I'm very comfortable with it ...
Here is a somewhat similar custom steel boat sans flying bridge. Clueless on interior layout, but it is diesel-electric powered and has a crow's nest.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #12
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
The fly bridge set up on the previous yacht was minimal, I actually decided I liked it because it could hardly be seen with no bimini and related abortions.
Diesel electric is a very proven technology. It is also extremely expensive from a maintenance point of view. You can never go "dark Ship" ( no electric to the boat) because you always need heat to the electric motors. Don't want/need it on anything I would own.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #13
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnuh View Post

-Dubnuh
Real nice boat! I question stat's gallon account (particularly water - vs - holding):

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: Stainless steel (300 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (1140 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: Stainless steel (600 Gallons)
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #14
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
An onboard water maker would explain the difference Art. I like the boat because it presents itself unappogeticly for what it is, not some bleach bottle copy of a condominium. Plenty of hand holds throughout and blunted edges. At 84 hp each even manyboats Eric would a have a tough argument to call it overpowered.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #15

City: Portland
I really appreciate your insights -wonderful! I am definately on the side of 'love it'. I think it's great now, and will be in buying mode when its comes up for sale next time.

I found this video on their operations in NS
Dubnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
[QUOTE=CPseudonym;301839]... Plenty of hand holds throughout and blunted edges. ...QUOTE]

Yes, need plenty of hand holds.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I've seen that layout offered as an option. The reasoning is that if you're spending your time and eating your meals in the cockpit then this keeps you connected. Second advantage pushed is that then your salon is just more forward and closer to the pilothouse.

I think like all layouts it has pluses and minuses but wouldn't for me be a deal maker or a deal killer. I do know people who eat all meals in the cockpit and generally use the grill there. But for everything else she's running back and forth to the forward galley. On the other hand I know people who eat all meals on the lower deck (galley down) and sit down quietly and somewhat formally.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
The aft galley is becoming de rigueur for day and coastal boats, less so for real passagemakers, which that boat definitely is, and would be wasted if not used to cross oceans.
Integrity Motor Yachts
Clipper Motor Yachts
That said, tankage does seem a bit on the lean side for passage making.. Otherwise I really like it, and if I was an ocean-crossing millionaire, that's the sort of vessel I'd go for. That or Twistredtree's Nordy 60...
Old 01-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #19
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Here is a somewhat similar custom steel boat sans flying bridge. Clueless on interior layout, but it is diesel-electric powered and has a crow's nest.

They both look like they came out of the Cape Horn stable, which had various builders.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:50 AM   #20
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I'd have to see it in person. The pictures may not do it justice, I don't see a fair line on the boat. I don't think a pen was used by the designer at all.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote