Old 05-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #1

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Star Weird
Vessel Model: Camargue
Raymarine wifi & Ipads - disconnecting

Is anyone else having a problem with their Ipads disconnecting from the displays they are supposed to be paired with?
I have 2 Axiom 9" displays at the lower helm. I use two Ipad Pro 12.9"s up on the flybridge (~10' apart and only the deck in between). I have been noticing a lot lately that the connections are unstable at best. Will disconnect and I will have to manually connect them to their respective displays/networks, over and over again. Also noticing that the wifi network/signal also sometimes disappears from my list of available networks on the Ipad....

VERY ODD and VERY FRUSTRATING...

Anyone else seeing this? Really wish Raymarine would update their apps, been ~4 years since their last update!!!
Scottwb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It may be the iPads. Mine does a lot of weird things lately. I think that it updated on it’s own and the new version has some issues.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Stray RF. Try turning off items and see if it helps. On our old boat the fluorescent light in the galley or the fresh water pump running played havoc with our on board network and radios.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
One of the updates on our iPads causes me not to be able to pay a credit card bill online. However if I go to our laptop it works just fine. There are other strange things recently that are happening on. The iPads. Don’t have any idea how to fix it. I have to reboot it fairly regularly now, almost never had to reboot in the past.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
Stray RF. Try turning off items and see if it helps. On our old boat the fluorescent light in the galley or the fresh water pump running played havoc with our on board network and radios.

Def not the lights... Does it with everything off, that can be off while boat is underway.

Doesn't SEEM to be the Ipads. Especially since the SSID signal disappears from the available options, not only on the Ipads but also on my Galaxy Note20 phone... I'm almost 99% sure this is an Axiom issue vs Ipad issue...

It used to happen occasionally when I had just 1 Axiom and 1 Ipad. But when I added the dual Axioms, I feel like it's been happening more often now (could also be because I am spending A LOT more time on the boat this last year due to Covid)...

Has anyone tried mirrorcasting to an Ipad? Would the touchscreens still work in that mode or is it just purely a mirrored image?

Brought it up a couple times to Raymarine, best answer I have gotten is to do a factory reset on both Axioms to clear the cache. Probably try that soon if I can't figure something else out. Just rather not, I assume ALL of my devices will all need to be reconfigured again...
Old 05-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
How are they connected? Are they sharing a common network, such as through a router, or are they connected via Wifi directly to the Raymarine display/network?

IF multiple devices drop out at the same time, and it looks like a dropped network connection, it's the node on the network their connected too. That would either be your router or the Raymarine network.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:54 PM   #7

I assume you mean how are the Ipads connected? If so, they are connected directly via the wifi for each devices SSID.

Both Axioms are hardwired together via a switch.

The devices (Ipads) don't go out at the same time, more sporadic. Sometimes it's only one, sometimes both. There is NO pattern to any of it...
Old 03-31-2023, 11:02 AM   #8

City: Gosport
So, a lot of time has passed but this issue still remains. This drove me nuts for years until I discovered on the Axiom Pro a setting for Wi-Fi channel. Mine was set to 11 which caused the iPads to bounce in and out of connection all the time. Unusable. Reset to channel 6 and all is well. Argh.

Go to Home Screen, settings (little cog), this display, wi-fi connection settings, then choose another channel. Choose channels until you find one that works.
CaptainMavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 11:41 AM   #9

I've gone through the channel selections multiple times. A while back, I ended up shipping my Axioms back to RM. They were able to replicate in their lab. They were also able to replicate on their own equipment. Determined it wad an internal error of the Axiom hardware. Obviously didn't charge me anything. Wad SUPPOSED to get better with the release of the new app, NOPE!!!
I am guessing there is some sort of a "timeout" on the Axiom devices. The fact the SSID completely disappears from iOS and Android available wifi networks leads me back to the internal wifi of each device...