Raymarine Lighthouse 3 HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmreim

Vessel Name
Boundless
Vessel Make
2013 North Pacific 43'
Have a new Raymarine Axiom MFD running Lighthouse 3 and Navionics charts. I'm having a really difficult time trying to figure out 3 things and Raymarine has proven to be very little help. I've been using Navionics on my iPad for years and found it very intuitive - not so much for the following 3 issues on the Axiom:

1) Radar Overlay - While cruising and in the Charts app, I go to Layers and then turn on the Radar layer switch. I get a message that says:
"Warning - Radar overlay cannot be displayed.
Either:
- fit heading sensor
- Select "use COG" in the "Radar without heading" setting in overlay settings
and maintain sufficient speed to give accurate COG"
Any idea what this is about and how I might fix it?

2) Auto-Routing - I'm really confused about this and can't seem to find it. If I select a waypoint that requires a route with turns from my current position, the system just sends me in a straight line, which is useless.

3) Point of Interest - Again, can't seem to find them. For example, if I want my destination to be Bay Bridge Marina in MD, how do I find it and navigate there on this Axiom system?

Appreciate any help here, even if it's a recommendation to someone I pay to walk me through these issues. Perhaps my system has not been setup properly???
Thx -
Jim

One issue one, I would hazard a guess that your heading sensor data needed to establish north for the radar overlay to match up with the chart is missing. That's the way it has to work on my Furuno system. Maybe the sensor data cable is loose, the sensor is not even installed, or maybe its data sentence has not been called for in the MFD setup.

I would agree that there is something amiss in your installation regarding your first point. At the risk of coming off as a smartass, RTFM on the auto routing. You might need a subscription to Navionics which is about $50 per year. We have an Axiom and I love it except for the fact that they buried the ETA at destination which is right up front On the Navionics app. I think the Garmin interface for auto routing is easier, but I’m quite satisfied with the Axiom unit. Get your Navionics subscription sorted, get a glass of wine and the manual (on a tablet), and spend some time futzing with the unit. None of the new nav systems are falling off a log easy, but once you understand the user interface “logic” you will navigate efficiently. Now if I could on,y remember where Raymarine buried the ETA to destination....,

I am very interested in this topic, as I am very close to pulling the trigger on replacing my Furuno TzTouch 2 system with an axiom system.
Best,
Maldwin

Jim, you don’t say what chart system you are using. Also what ever chart system you use you will need to choice between Raster or Vector charts. Best to go online and read the differences and understand why you would chose one over the other with radar overlays. I would also make sure you have the most current version of Lighthouse 3. I think right now they are up to 13.14 in the most current Axiom models. The EV-1 or EV-2 heading sensor will automatically course correct the radar to the charting system you use. No calibration is needed as I understand.

You also did not say which Axiom model you are using and what autopilot and heading sensor you have. All these are important.

Beaverlake, the information you seek should be available in the left side swipe out data box. Once the box is open touch the 3 dots in the upper left corner which allows you to select the data box you wish to view. You should see the eta plus other information there.

Since I don’t currently use Navionics charts I’m not sure what extra information is there compared to the NOAA charts I’m currently using.

I have found lighthouse 3 to have a learning edge over the older LH-2 system. I have done some testing for Raymarine through the testing program with Lighthouse 3 and several other of my Raymarine systems until LH-3 version 3.12 as it is the last version that will be updated for my older (legacy unit) GS165 unit I currently run. There are also updates for the latest and past versions of the EV-1 and 2 autopilot/heading sensor systems. Things change fast and items are being tested and added to LH-3 constantly.

Last edited:
Thanks Jon. ETA to the next waypoint is there and can be loaded as part of the display. Last time I checked ETA to destination was not. It’s in there, I just can’t remember where. I’ve been going around with Raymarine on this for a year because the info is readily available in Navionics which I use in the Axiom. Garmin had this display on its 2014 units! Other than that we are very satisfied.

If you do not have a heading sensor your boat has to be moving for the radar overlay to work. Otherwise the system can't figure out which way you are pointed. If you have a heading sensor or an autopilot (which has a heading sensor) then something else is wrong.

Since I have neither on my boat, the over starts as soon as the boats gets moving.

I don’t use Lighthouse 3 but in 2 ours complains about no heading sensor connected since I have never hooked the autopilot to the network. Says that I can’t display radar overlays. Sounds like the same thing. I have always had outstanding customer service with Raymarine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom