Raymarine Auto Pilot - any experience with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olebird

Vessel Name
StarLite
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Anyone with experience operating and/or installing EV100 or 200 autopilot in smaller boat 30 - 40'.

Will it track stright - calm/weather?
Follow a coarse?
Pros & Cons

I've installed scores of the EV100,150, 20 ,300 & 400's over the years, mostly the 150's & 200's. The addition of a rudder sensor helps quite a bit with the steering so keep that in mind if you go with a 150 as it's not included.
The EV1 compass that Ray uses is a good performing compass but I never been crazy with the way they mount it, but that's a small issue.
Raymarine still uses the seatalkNG data cabling instead of nmea2000 cables like everyone else but adapters are available so thats not a huge issue. I thought they would've changed to nmea2000 by now.
My biggest gripe is the lack of a nmea 0183 input with the ev150 for connecting a chartplotter.
For most 25-35' boats, the Raymarine EV150 is probably the best pilot and easiest to install for the money, IMO.

Installed an EV200 in my Mainship 34T (39 LOA). Best ap I've had. No configuration needed and it did a great job steering.

Ole Bird: which way did you decide to go?? I'm making the same decision replacing a cranky Simrad AP22.

RTR!!

VR/Mike

The general consensus is the EV series from RM is a workable system. The low end package is not fancy but works as a minimal system ($1200). Still reading manuals and conflicting reviews. Haven't made a final decision but am leaning toward the EV100 package with rudder sensor added. I have a heading sensor added to N2k bus for radar. Haven't figured out if the EV100 can use that or vice versa. All are simple systems, but all have data missing from manuals and instructions - one form or another.

More and more sceptical that all MFG marketing is deliberately deceptive - :mad:

The EV100 puts accurate heading data on the N2K bus, not sure what radar you have but it should be able to use it if less than a 10 year old design.

All the Raymarine course computers for about 15 years have had solid state gyros and machine learning predictive software. They are MUCH better than they used to be at steering in a seaway, and the most recent (with the EV1) are the best so far. I have a prior generation on the sailboat and it will steer for days on end, in a fully developed 35 knot quartering sea. Older autopilots would loose control within a couple of minutes in those conditions.

Even the 150 will accept rudder position input, the sensors are available on ebay usually.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom