Raw Water Strainer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hardship

Vessel Name
Madadh
Vessel Make
Trader 535
Would anybody happen to recognise this bronze raw water intake strainer? On a UK based Trader 535 from 2003, manufactured in Taiwan. The clear body is 150mm external diameter (just under 6"). On the screwed cap is a logo of a sailing boat. The smaller genset strainer which is similar has 'LH' on the cap. I have searched online and found nothing identical and the boat manuals do not have anything

I am looking for cylinder seals or a reference. TIA..

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 67
The sailboat emblem rings a bell. A decently clear close up of that emblem may help.
If not me then others.

The first thought that came to mind was Wilcox Crittenden, although many years out of business. But their emblem was the W crossed by the C.

Gaskets can be made to order, either by you or by a seal/gasket company.
On older parts like this cork was often used. Over the years most current suppliers have moved to nitrile rubber. Longer lasting by far.

Thanks. Here a close up of the cap which could be a sailboat or upside down some kind of flagstaff?

The existing seals appear to be Nitrile or similar, 'L' shaped in cross section

Attachments

• Strainer Cap.jpg
    Strainer Cap.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 26
The head looks surprisingly similar to a Groco. Are you sure you can't replace the seals with orings?

Ted

When you say "seals," are they gaskets? Many years back we had a similar type strainer start to leak in the middle of a 3 week cruise in remote BC. When I dis-assembled it there were fiber gaskets at both ends of the glass cylinder, they tore upon di-assembly. I used an empty cereal box (Frosted Flakes) and cut two replacement gaskets. Lubed them up with grease and re-assembled, worked so good that I never replaced them. You could do even better with a sheet of real gasket paper from the auto parts store for a couple of bucks. Just a thought, good luck!

Thanks all for the responses, as you suggest they are probably an obsolete version of Groco or Perco design. The cylinder end seals are L shaped in cross section and made of nitrile type material. I am trying to get some made, but can revert to a breakfast cereal box if that fails :) thanks again

It is definitely not a Groco or Perko strainer. The top casting and cap are similar to a Groco ARG series strainer but not an exact copy. I don’t recognize the logo on the cap. Sorry I’m no help.

Yup, those were mine and AZ2Loop was able to ID them. (Thanks again.) I replaced them with new Grocos that Parks sold me. They’re easier to mount, easier to drain, stay cleaner for some reason so I can monitor crud and seal tight with easily obtainable o-rings. Wasn’t sure I’d like the plastic baskets but they don’t decay and are plenty strong enough for the job.

Attachments

• 3B82475F-44B9-472F-A020-63C0795CFEF9.jpg
    3B82475F-44B9-472F-A020-63C0795CFEF9.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 13
Sea Strainer

Would anybody happen to recognise this bronze raw water intake strainer? On a UK based Trader 535 from 2003, manufactured in Taiwan. The clear body is 150mm external diameter (just under 6"). On the screwed cap is a logo of a sailing boat. The smaller genset strainer which is similar has 'LH' on the cap. I have searched online and found nothing identical and the boat manuals do not have anything

I am looking for cylinder seals or a reference. TIA..

Looks like mine which is a Groco.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom