Ranking Boat brands to help with search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adopo

Guru
Vessel Name
Calypso
Vessel Make
1981 Fairchild Scout
So, we just came from the Ft. Lauderdale boat show, and much to my surprise, my wife liked a particular boat, the 610 Outer Reef. Tonight I found the video on the 610 on Boat Test, and she said let's buy it, that is the boat we boarded. I said let's really think about what we are doing. Do we really need a 2.2mm boat? At the show I really liked the somewhat more ship like 68 Cheoy Lee with the canoe stern and I thought it was a better value, but what do I know? These are the actual boats we boarded among many others:

https://youtu.be/5587pAho__k

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2019/outer-reef-yachts-610-my-3698698/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2009/cheoy-lee-serenity-68-3723567/

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/boat-tests/cheoy-lee-68-serenity

The Cheoy Lee had two huge staterooms that both had king beds in addition to other features that made it appealing to me. The Outer Reef was nearly new, and had an open feel that my wife liked.

Anyway, is there a guide or some reference that can provide some insight or ranking of the various models. I never paid much attention to Outer Reef, but they appear to make a sound boat. Where do they typically rank, say compared to a Nordhavn, Fleming. Marlow, or Salene? What other brands would you look at in this price level?

Greetings,
Mr. A. Can't help. All appear to be nice boats BUT way above my pay grade. Only thing I can say is "Happy wife=happy life".

." Where do they typically rank, say compared to a ???"

To rank a boat require you to post your desirements for the boat..

Round the world? Just across one ocean, lakes ,bays , and rivers , coastal cruising, Rooomaran, marina lifestyle, anchor out except to fuel ?

Who is going to maintain her ?, a 60-70 ft is seldom outfitted with simple systems .

Last edited:
Adopo
Your wife has really good boat selection instincts. BTW, the CL has a less desirable engine package than the OR. A 10 year difference in vessel age is worth noting.

Last edited:
Do some study on scantlings and modes of construction. The “bones” of a vessel can’t be changed. The rest can be changed or modified. Things like
Layup-resin infused, arimid, e glass, woven, chopper gun, baked prefab carbon etc.
Coring-balsa, synthetic, density, which coring.
Adhesives used
Stringers, ribs, ceilings, beds
Through hulls-standpipes, bronze, admiralty bronze, marelon, gate valves, ballcocks
Wiring = guage , tinned, conduits, shrink wrapped connectors
Hoses-ratings
Stainless and other metals% source (Chinese or other) 308,316,318 for stainless,5, 6 or 7k series for Al
Tankage-integral GRP, Fe, Al, supports
Grounding and bonding.
Lightening protection , fire suppression.
Collision bulkheads and watertight compartments
Society rating- ABYC compliant, EU A, norske veritas, Lloyd’s
This is a partial list to get you going. A boat is a big expense and you are literally betting your life on it not failing . Due diligence is very much worth your time. A properly constructed boat has a much longer service life so greater resale value. Cost is how much to buy it plus how much to maintain it minus what you get when you sale it. Often it’s less expensive to get a good boat of very high quality of construction when you think about that reality. A surveyor will only tell you if the boat has been injured or errors made. It’s primarily up to you to know what’s “best practices “. I’ve learned more from talking with yardhands, fellow cruisers and naval architects than from anything I’ve read in books or on the internet. But you need that basic knowledge of construction technologies and techniques to ask the right questions.
We’ve been through 8 boats of significance. I develop a short list of 4 or 5 that I know are well made. Then I show the bride the short list and she picks one. That way I know we have a stout, strong seaboat. And she has ownership as she picked it. Happy wife=happy life.

If for some reason you had to choose between only those two boats, I side with you.
But at that price point you have dozens of other possibly finer ones to choose from.

Assuming you have time to go looking, the brands you mention all have worthy boats
in that size and price range. The Nordhavn 62-63 comes to mind.
Take your time and look at at least 10-? boats and you'll find one that you both love.

Last edited:
We don't have enough background info on you and your wife, your boating desires, wants, needs, plans, experience, etc. to offer specific advice.
However, in general terms, the boats you listed are mostly well thought of. I would suggest, reading Boat Search 101 on this forum, and in general "taking your time". Go on board as many of the different boats that interest you and look with a critical eye. Don't just get "hung up" on the asthetics. Look at how you will use and maintain the boat. What specifics are important to both you and your wife, then compromise. But take your time! Don't be rash.
Good luck,

I wish I was in a position to consider one of those beauties. Take your time and do your research.

Back
Top Bottom