Which Ranger Tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pauliemv

Vessel Name
ALITA V
Vessel Make
Cape Dory 28
Hi everyone!
Dilemma…
I’m looking at 2 Ranger Tugs. A 2016 25SC no genset is the only thing it doesn’t have… asking $130Kish
2010 R29 loaded asking $140ish…
What to do… both are good looking boats.
Advise anyone…
Thanks!

Have you spent any nights on a Ranger Tug? We chartered a 27 - it's pretty small, even for 2 people. It was an excellent experience though. We ended up with a Nordic 32 because we didn't want to trade up and hoped this size will serve us for longer, among other reasons. Based on size alone, I'd go with the 29 - it's still not big, but I bet you'd be less likely to want to change to a larger boat as quickly. Good luck!

Visit the Tugnuts web site, lots of information with very active users. I used to have a 2012 Ranger Tug 27, very nice boat but a little tight for extended cruising. We now have a 2008 Nordic Tug 37, a significant increase in room.
The R29 you are looking at likely has a Yanmar 6BY2-260 engine, same family as the 4BY2-180 in my R27. These are marinized BMW turbo diesels, 4000 RPM for rated power. The R25SC you are looking at probably has a Volvo D3 turbo diesel.

It depends on the mission. What do you want to do with it?

The R29 is a much larger, more stable, more comfortable boat for two or more people. The 10' beam (compared to 8.5' on R25 and R27) makes a big difference. OTOH if you are going to trailer it, then the R25 may be much easier. Like everything with boats, there are tradeoffs with any choice.

+1 to asking for pros and cons on the TugNuts site.

There are very very few people who ever bought a boat and later said "I wish I bought a smaller one."

Asking us which one you should buy isn’t really relative. Which one do you like more and fits your needs more?

I'd pick the 25SC so as not to have the head right next to the bed.

Just my preference.

I suggest a 2 stateroom boat. As soon as you buy a boat all your friends will want to go with you or a really good air mattress for the guest.
If you want or need a A/C, you will need a generator

Last edited:
We owned a classic 2011 27 and the modern 2015 R29CB. We loved both boats very much. The former because we could trailer it or have it shipped anywhere and we found living on it to be fine for three weeks. The latter because its layout is great and its systems easier to work on. We routinely lived aboard for 4-5 weeks in the PNW in the summer and used it as our waterfront condo in Seattle the rest of the year. The old school 29s and our 2011 had the Yanmar engines. Our Yanmar was haunted with electrical issues and we were glad to see it go. We had the Volvo in our 29CB and it was a breeze to work on and very reliable.

Contrary to what others may have said, we found no cruising limitations with either of these boats as long as you were willing to sit out the rough stuff. And even in the rough stuff—lots of crossings of Georgia Strait in miserable conditions along with summer afternoon beat downs on San Francisco Bay—we thought the boats performed well, particularly because you can put them up on plane when needed to get across confused chop.

but…..size matters. The RT mantra was six for cocktails, four for dinner, two for overnight. Despite all the clever designs (and these ARE cleverly designed boats), they are just too cramped for anything but day cruises with friends. Some will take umbrage with this, but having more than two people created unwanted suffering due to too little space to move around.

So we solved the size issue by moving up to a Helmsman 38e, which is a palace compared to the RTs (with the exception of their 43), but probably out of your price range (that and they are almost impossible to find used). So don’t give up on a well-loved trawler as an option. Slow, but enjoyable to be aboard and, after all, it is the journey not the destination. If you enjoy the journey you will inevitably journey more.

Good luck in your boat hunt

The ranger tug 25/27/29 will all do as long as they are not described as large, spacious, roomy, etc. The cost per square ft of "living area" in the ranger tug should also be considered.

Back
Top Bottom