Ranger tug 31 or beneteau st 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's no perfect boat, every boat is a compromise!
Of course, ST 34 is going to have much more room, we all know 3' makes a night & day difference on a boat.
RT's 10' beam is relatively narrow for a 31 footer, starting from her main cabin entrance door, her companion way is really narrow all the way thru. Whoever is cooking would have to constantly move around if there are more than a few onboard.
I like ST 34 layout much better except the flybridge ladder & tight transom seat in front of it... would've been better to have that built in transom seat on her port side, transom door STB side.

As a FSO-VE for the CG. I have inspected both of the votes you're looking at. The ranger is a nice boat If you're looking to trailer it. The newer ones come with 2
Two outboards which could have its plus points. I've been on a Beneteau 34 and a 30. The 30 is actually 34 ft long. I actually prefer the 30 over to 34 for a lot of reasons. they've taken all the designs from the 30 open back where Davit and incorporated them into the new 35. I currently own a Beneteau 30. For the money, convenience and fuel economy I think it's the way to go. It also has a B8 rating. At troller speeds 8 knots you're only using about 2 gph ,but yet if you have to outrun a storm you can run close to 24 knots at 15 gallons per hour not bad. Another issue if you're going to keep it in South Carolina dockage in the 40-ft range is very very hard to get. The 30 you can just squeeze into a 35-ft slip @34 feet. It also has a better head than the 34. Separate shower and separate toilet. The 34 has a wet head.

My next boat will be a 35 Beneteau.

Last edited:
I owned a 2013 Cutwater 28 before moving up to a 2013 ST 34. (The Cutwater is made by Fluid Motion which also makes the Ranger Tug). We originally wanted to move up to a RT 31 because we felt that Fluid Motion made a good product and offered great customer support. We chose the ST 34 because it offers much more living and storage space and is a more comfortable ride. Some other points I'd like to make;
1. Wood veneer- When we bought the Cutwater it had some water damage in the cabinetry and bulkhead in the forward cabin from a leaky windshield. We had it repaired and all the wood was veneer except for the molding. The veneer was cherry not teak. Don't know if that is the case with the RT but they pretty much use the same materials for both brands. We have the darker interior on the ST which has held up very well. The cabin sole is also veneer but is covered with all-weather snap in carpet which is easy to keep clean.
2. The is no "rabbit fur" wall covering inside the ST 34. Hard to clean and set-up for mildew growth.
3. The wider beam of the ST 34 adds more stability when running and at anchor.
4. You can't call the Beneteau factory for support like you can with the RT but I have found everything I've needed from east coast dealers, the Beneteau Swift Trawlers Owners group on FB, and http://spareparts.beneteauusa.com
5. Engine access is a challenge on both boats. The RT has a nice hydraulic hatch but limited room around the engine and generator. The ST is a pain to access because of the table but there is a little more room around the engine. We took the table off the boat and use two "C" tables which are easier to move around. The generator is very easy to access in the lazerrette.
6. The St has a mast/hoist and room for a dinghy on the bridge deck.
7. With a larger guest cabin and foldout sofa, the ST offers more room for guests.
8. The noise level in the ST cabin when running over 2000 RPM is pretty high. You have to talk louder but not yell.

We've been very happy with the ST34 but we have moved up our retirement plans and have put it up for sale. We are looking for something in the 50ft range for extended cruising. You can find the listing on Yachtworld if you're interested. Just search 2013 ST34 in Murrells Inlet, SC.:)

Not trying to “hijack” any threads here but my question is also about Ranger Tugs, Tugs in general.
My situation in a nutshell. We currently own a 27ft Boston Whaler Conquest which has a small cabin and can sleep the 2 of us and our 12 year old son, but maybe for only 2 nights max. My wife however is wanting a boat that has a little more cabin space for relaxing and cooking, etc. The boat however must be trailerable as we keep the boat in a slip in the SF Bay Area for only parts of the year, usually crabbing and fishing season, then bring her home to avoid the $400 plus slip fee while we aren’t using it during Little League/Soccer (in a non COVID world) seasons.
We are looking at the new RT 27 that comes with a 300hp outboard and a claimed cruising speed of 30 MPH.
Question is, since I have never been on a Tug “style” boat, how would this handle the seas outside the Golden Gate, which can be very rough. Our Whaler has a Deep V hull and handles the ocean very well with twin 225s, however, it does not match the wife’s “relaxing” style of boat she is wanting.
Can the RT 27 handle the ocean like a Whaler or are they 2 entirely different “birds” ?
Thank you and Happy Holidays!

As a owner of 2018 R 27 Ranger tug ( and a 2013 diesel R 27 before that ) , i would say the Whaler would be a much better rough water boat . The Ranger outboard model has made a large number of compromises . They can be seen at www.rangertugtruth.com

Wow Bucketlist1,
So sorry for the nightmare but thanks for sharing. Not sure I will be looking at the Ranger Tug any further. $200,000 plus for a boat and this is where you sit? Not saying that all Ranger Tugs are bad and yours was probably not bad before some careless crew “dropped it” on a block or something but Wow, just Wow! The dealership or Ranger Tugs is not willing to help at all ?? From your “Story”, certainly seems obvious that the damage was there before you took possession so someone should be taking responsibility and hopefully your attorney can get it resolved or get you a new boat.

I wish you all the luck in the world in your fight against the “Big Guys”!
Let us know how it turns out

Merry Christmas everyone!

Thanks , good luck on your search . I find some of the Northern West Coast welded aluminum pilot house boats interesting .

Ranger tug or Whaler

Not trying to “hijack” any threads here but my question is also about Ranger Tugs, Tugs in general.
My situation in a nutshell. We currently own a 27ft Boston Whaler Conquest which has a small cabin and can sleep the 2 of us and our 12 year old son, but maybe for only 2 nights max. My wife however is wanting a boat that has a little more cabin space for relaxing and cooking, etc. The boat however must be trailerable as we keep the boat in a slip in the SF Bay Area for only parts of the year, usually crabbing and fishing season, then bring her home to avoid the $400 plus slip fee while we aren’t using it during Little League/Soccer (in a non COVID world) seasons.
We are looking at the new RT 27 that comes with a 300hp outboard and a claimed cruising speed of 30 MPH.
Question is, since I have never been on a Tug “style” boat, how would this handle the seas outside the Golden Gate, which can be very rough. Our Whaler has a Deep V hull and handles the ocean very well with twin 225s, however, it does not match the wife’s “relaxing” style of boat she is wanting.
Can the RT 27 handle the ocean like a Whaler or are they 2 entirely different “birds” ?
Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Typical "tugs" and Trawlers are not meant for really rough water. Unless you are going to buy an ocean going tug or an expedition trawler, stick with a deep V. Or change your cruising grounds to bays, inland waterways etc. In any realistic budget, it's difficult to match your boating area with your desires in a boat.

You may put this question to the Ranger Tugs Facebook group. Or you can go to the Tugnuts forum. You can request membership there do you can pose questions.

For one opinion: I took my 31 Ranger Tug to Alaska is 2017. There were some pretty rough waters crossing Dixon entrance, but no problem :)

Northend,

Going back to the first paragraph of your first post, a boat that grabs your "heart" is real important. You'll live with her for a number of years and it's makes a real difference if she brings a smile to your face year in and year out.

All most all of the boats mentioned will likely serve you well. Our boat (NT32/34) has a CE rating of 2 and in theory can handle 13' waves. If wave any where near that size ever hits, surely I'll be damaged, not the boat. :)

Our boat still brings a smile when we use her. And many others could do the same for you.

Cheers,

My boat is an AT34/36.
The following quote, "The boat is built as a Coastal Cruiser and has passed CE certification for "B" category which is considered "Offshore", but not "Ocean" rated. This is the same as 12 foot wave height and 40 knot winds.Nov 24, 2017

Personally, I would not plan on going out in 12ftx40knt weather but it's nice to know the boat will survive. I will be the one inside the boat, screaming, "save me, save me."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom