From rags to the pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The N47 looks interesting... Checks a lot of blocks. Needs an inverter, water maker, hyd stabilizers, upgraded bow thruster and stern thruster and an alternative to those daymned heavy 8D batteries.
I would lean more to the proven naturally aspirated Luggar for a main engine. 12kw sounds like the perfect size generator for the boat too.

Last edited:
Very helpful information. Your past experiences distort your view of reality. Important to stand back and be objective so you can learn.
When spec’ing my current boat wanted a naturally aspirated diesel. Ended up with a turbo as it was huge money to modify the stringers to accept the different footprint. Now after 7 years with the turbo it’s just another thing on the checklist. Still nervous about common rail. Don’t like black boxes. At least even with a turbo if it gets air, fuel and compression it will run. Any opinions on natural v. turbo v. common rail?
The other thing I need to get past is an experience with hydraulics steering. Was on a center cockpit with it. No feel and got a leak. Wow is that stuff messy. Fortunately just going Mass to Maine so a quick fix as parts were available. What do folks carry as spares? Any systems better than others. Love Whitlock/Edson direct linkage on sailboats but don’t see how that can work with a true Pilothouse.
See multiple venders for fins. Which are good?Bad? Understand hydraulic is better than electric. Is that really true? Is that a deal breaker?
How old is too old? Been made aware of a custom with a Gardner in it locally. It’s grp but 30 + years old. Know the USN did a study where they said the service life of grp was longer than they could estimate. At what age boat would you walk away?

With common rail, electronic engine management, etc. you just have to do some research. Basically, for any given engine(s) in question, determine what tools are needed to diagnose it (are they expensive / dealer only or are they something you can keep on board). Determine parts cost and availability, etc. And then rule out any engines that you determine aren't maintainable enough for you.

Very helpful information. Your past experiences distort your view of reality. Important to stand back and be objective so you can learn.
When spec’ing my current boat wanted a naturally aspirated diesel. Ended up with a turbo as it was huge money to modify the stringers to accept the different footprint. Now after 7 years with the turbo it’s just another thing on the checklist. Still nervous about common rail. Don’t like black boxes. At least even with a turbo if it gets air, fuel and compression it will run. Any opinions on natural v. turbo v. common rail?
The other thing I need to get past is an experience with hydraulics steering. Was on a center cockpit with it. No feel and got a leak. Wow is that stuff messy. Fortunately just going Mass to Maine so a quick fix as parts were available. What do folks carry as spares? Any systems better than others. Love Whitlock/Edson direct linkage on sailboats but don’t see how that can work with a true Pilothouse.
See multiple venders for fins. Which are good?Bad? Understand hydraulic is better than electric. Is that really true? Is that a deal breaker?
How old is too old? Been made aware of a custom with a Gardner in it locally. It’s grp but 30 + years old. Know the USN did a study where they said the service life of grp was longer than they could estimate. At what age boat would you walk away?
Age means little if condition is kept up. I'm a good mechanic but not great. Prefer NA, but a turbo would be okay - they've been used in OTR trucks for a long time.. Buying a used boat limits the option. Turbo is more efficient thus extend range without adding tankage.

My opinion, ABT is the best in the business - thrusters and stabs. Their customer service is legendary and their systems robust. I recently replaced my original equipment Vosper stabilizers with Wesmar and had many difficulties with their customer service. I personally would not recommend them.

Hydraulic steering. Get over it. Older Taiwan trawlers sometimes have a chain and shaft arrangement that often have a lot of slack. Hydraulics are fine and relatively easy to drive with a reversible motor. Fairly easy to install a backup inline. Dashew installs two not just for redundancy but for faster response in big seas. As far as feedback, well, you don't have to worry about weather helm in a trawler. I've gone 7+ days between touching the helm.

Doc H,
I am trying to home in on the boat that most meets your needs that is not a sailboat.

What do you think of this boat?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/defever-cpmy-stabilized-3524823/
Great find and recommendation. I really like defevers. Deep, decent engine room, and love the sea chest. These are really sleepers - on surface, they look like a standard semi displacement GB knock-off. But they are so much more than that.

CatalinaJack of this forum lives aboard his Defever 44 which is a bit taller (ergo roomier) but probably a very similar boat. He'd have good feedback if this type interests you.

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom