Radio On While At Anchor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On for Safety

Personally, I leave VHF on whenever I am aboard for reasons of safety and community as described by others.

When I'm hoping for some peace and quiet I turn the squelch all (or nearly) all the way up which tends to filter out most of the unwanted chatter. USCG and nearby transmission come through.

Ch. 16 needs to be monitored by everyone. You may be the one needing nearby boater assistance. If turned off who is going to respond to you? CG could be hours away

Last edited:
I always have the radio on when moving, never once anchored. Sadly, many people do neither.

I’m in the ”it depends” group.

I confess I usually turn my radio off at anchor. However, one time I was anchored in the Isle de Lerin, off Cannes (France) and my impeller went. No problem I had a spare supplied by the Volvo Penta dealer (the boat was 5 months old). Only problem for my single engined boat was they had given me the wrong spare! Didn't fit. Paddleboarded over to a similar boat, as it was lunch time I was offered a glass of wine (declined) and some Quiche (accepted). Unfortunately they didn't have a spare. Spoke to the Coastguard who said a storm was coming in and I couldn't stay there overnight. They put out a Pan Pan. Despite there being 400 boats there not one (even the super yachts) had their radios on and no one replied. The lifeboat was sent to tow me in. Found it difficult to find me in the forest of boats . To top it all the life boat was refused entry into the Port of Cannes!

I don't turn on my radio from one year to the next.

If you aren’t careful, it will turn on you some day. Then you’re in deep doo-doo. [emoji16]?

Pretty old school. Even keep a separate radio log when moving or have any contact with authorities.

Usually turn the radio off with the engine. If the anchorage is busy or boats are anchoring in close proximity, I'll leave it on for a while. I have a VERY LOUD hailer that seems to work better getting hold of boaters anchoring too close.

I really don't see the need in my cruising areas, to leave the radio on in an anchorage any more than my boat slip. When I started boating there was only VHF and a few SSB operators. If I need help now, there's VHF, cellphone, satellite text messaging, and if all else fails, I'll activate one of the 2 EPIRBs or the PLB.

Ted

Another benefit of leaving the radio ON around here - the AIS builds a list of tugs and tows moving on the river, waiting at locks, etc. helps in planning a trip thru locks and dams. This time of year, grain barge traffic is higher than normal. It can be a little unnerving to unexpectedly meet a big tow coming down river in the dark!!

VHF radios are going the way of the CB radio on the water. In the 70's everyone locally had a CB set on the local channel which was not 9. But if you were local you knew 22 was used and called there for local assist. VHF came along and replaced CB. Now I think the cell phone will replace VHF voice and it will evolve with AIS.

We have amber alert on cell phones, why not a mayday alert? OR the CG mayday signal could be multicast over all channels.
I have given thought to how back in the SAR days I had the VHF on scan mode anytime I was near a set, sometimes at home with a portable.
It has become too congested and annoying to leave on.
But I still spot a whale at 5 miles, so I guess I would see your flare.

You'll only see flares if its not raining or foggy and they work! Of course they might injure you or set your boat on fire. Press the red button (using DSC not voice) on your radio or use an EPIRB. Not only are they safer and more effective than flares the electronic devices work out cheaper!!!!

Back
Top Bottom